on 5 December 2005
Aromatherapy an A-Z is a first class book. I have used it as a health encyclopedia (along with a wonderful herb book ~ The New Holistic Herbal by David Hoffmann) for the last 13 years and refer to it constantly. Almost (!) all the information you could ever need on all aspects of aromatherapy from treatment and prevention of specific illnesses, history of plant use & methods of oil extaction, to cosmetic use (including recipes for cosmetic products), all in an easy to use A-Z 'dictionary' format. Includes information on related practices such as Yoga and Reflexology etc Everyone interested in their own health should own a copy of this insightful and indespensible book.

I have a comment however, about the latest edition of this book published by Vermilion.. Don't buy this book! It is of VERY poor quality (the paper used for the pages of the book particularly). If you want to get hold of a copy (which I highly recommend!) ~ try to get hold of an older edition (the 2000 edition still has exactly the same content as this latest edition) you can still get this older edition from the Random House on-line bookshop (who have taken over CW Daniel ~ the original publishers' books), and now also from Amazon.
11 comment|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2001
A book you can use by itself or together with others but one you will always go back to. Excellent information in easy to find format with important lists of hazardous oils, oils not good to use for people with epilepsy, high blood pressure, pregnancy and a list of possible skin irritants. This is a book I would not be without and I highly recommend it.
on 21 August 2001
This book is perfect for anybody with a good basic understanding of aromatherapy or for those who are studying the subject. It has so much information in it that if you were only to buy one aromatherapy book then you should consider this. I have added it to my collection and use it in conjunction with the Directory of Essential Oils. Anything that springs to mind about aromatherapy and it's uses are in this book; from the oils themselves to the conditions that can be treated with them. From high blood pressure to chickenpox, from skincare to serious medical complaints, it's all there in this book. Fantastic.
on 19 July 2006
This book is wonderful for anyone who wants to practice aromatherapy within the comfort of their own home. The book explains the history of aromatherapy & then goes on to the A-Z. The A-Z includes the essential oils & all the conditions it's used to treat & other treatments that can be used in conjunction with aromatherapy e.g. Acne, Acupunture etc. The Appendix has a list of all the hazardous essential oils, oils that are not to be used during pregnancy, oils that must not be used on people suffering from Epilipsy and good combinations for bathing etc. I found the book informative & very useful!
on 13 May 2004
There are so many books on aromatherapy on the market and many of them are interesting, but of all the books I have read or bought on the subject I find this one the most reliable and well used. I can usually find what I am looking for and unlike some books you have both recommended oils for common ailments and details of many essential oils including some of the more unusual ones.
on 19 December 2009
I was looking for an aromatherapy book that would give me a summary of oils for certain conditions but found this book thick and detailed which would be great if thats what you wanted but no recipes or quick reference. So if you wanted to know what oils are suggested for XYZ then this is not the book for you.
on 13 September 2000
This book is an absolute must for anyone who is already familiar with the concepts of aromatherapy. The chapters are well written in plain English and enable easy understanding. This book definitely has found its permanent space right next to my first aid books.
on 1 February 2006
Aromatherapy an A-Z is a first class book. I have used it as a health 'bible'/encyclopedia (along with a wonderful herb book ~ The New Holistic Herbal by David Hoffmann) for the last 13 years and refer to it constantly. Almost (!) all the information you could ever need on all aspects of aromatherapy from treatment and prevention of specific illnesses, history of plant use & methods of oil extaction, to cosmetic use (including recipes for cosmetic products), all in an easy to use A-Z 'dictionary' format. Includes information on related practices such as Yoga and Reflexology etc Everyone interested in their own health should own a copy of this insightful and indespensible book.

** N.B. I highly recommend buying this edition rather than the 2005 edition published by Vermillion ~ it contains exactly the same information word for word, but is of a much higher quality in terms of the materials used (paper printing etc).

Enjoy!
on 16 December 2007
Although helpful and with good info, this book is far from complete and barely scratches the surface of the subjects it catalogues. I would catagorize this as a good starter book. It is sufficient as a cross reference to others, but more often than not, this book has no entries beyond the most basic (health) conditions and essential oils
on 14 February 2008
I have to challenge the title of "Most Comprehensive", there are other books that I consider more comprehensive. Having said that, I have found it a very useful addition to my aromatherapy books and I do reference it quite often. I find that I use it in conjunction with the dictionary of essential oils and The fragrant pharmacy (which I think is a bit more comprehensive).