5.0 out of 5 stars The best baby and toddler cookbook I have seen!
I was given this cookbook last week as a present and I simply love it!
I am - honestly speaking - not the best cook in the world, but even I could follow the recipes! I have now tried 3 recipes (risotto in pasta sauce, spagetti with prawns, and the fairy cakes), and my toddler (who is almost 18 months old) seems to love it all! I will definitely try some more recipes...
Published on 26 July 2005 by Anjali Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars A few mistakes
Published on 30 Oct 2011 by Mrs. Stella Pullar-strecker

3.0 out of 5 stars A few mistakes, 30 Oct 2011
Mrs. Stella Pullar-strecker (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gina Ford Baby & Toddler Cook Book: Over 100 easy recipes for all the family to enjoy (Hardcover)
On the whole, this is a good cook book - the recipes are mostly easy to follow. However, I have discovered quite a few mistakes which have rendered some efforts inedible (I am a fairly competent cook). The Italian Fish stew for instance lists 225g (8oz) of small pasta shapes. I discovered the hard way that only 4 oz of dried small pasta shapes were required (or 8oz of cooked pasta

The batch cooking Bolognese Sauce/Shepherd's pie/Creamy beef and pasta bake is confusing if followed to the letter as Gina has made a mistake regarding her mince.

That aside, some of the recipes are delicious and have become firm favourites in our household.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, healthy and delicious, 6 Oct 2010
I am a hopeless cook but I'm really determined to make the effort for my baby, and so far I have found this book to be great. The layout is very simple and the instructions are clear and concise. You can tell at a glance what age the recipe is suitable from, how many portions it makes, and whether it can be frozen. The recipes are all different from those in the CLB weaning book (except for basic stocks and sauces where there's a bit of duplication) but they compliment each other well; I have both and don't feel it's been a waste of money.

I was put off of other cookbooks because I felt there was too much emphasis on presentation and fine tuning - I'm not the sort of Annabel Karmel person who has time to make sandwiches look like trains or add a sprinkle of 15 different spices to an apple puree. These recipes are simple, healthy, and everything I've had so far has tasted really good to me and gone down well with my baby. I am making things for me and my husband that the baby isn't ready for yet and they've been great.

There are instructions for batch cooking stocks and sauces to save time which is really useful,and a lot of the dishes are based around these. The only problem I've found is that the quantities you end up with are quite a bit less than the book suggests. However this may be because so much of my stuff sticks to the pan, or I sometimes lose some after not putting the blender together properly - as I say I'm not exactly talented in the kitchen, but if you have a similar skill level to me then I'd suggest making double batches as it's a bit soul-destroying to spend an hour producing what turns out to be one bowl of soup!

GF readers will be amazed to see her go wild in the party food section - children's parties are described as '...a time of great fun and excitement where most of the rules go out of the window.' Gina - can this really be you?! You mean I don't have to wrap up pass-the-parcel at precisely 11.55 so all the little darlings can go to sleep in total silence for two hours? Whoopee!

I'd recommend this to anyone with a young family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on Annabel Karmel, 27 Feb 2008
H. Tracey (Co Durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book having tried most of the recipes in my excellent Annabel Karmel Top 100 purees book. I looked at a number of baby cooking books before settling on this one, due to the excellent previous reviews.
The positive thing about the book is that there are some nice looking recipes, however, the vast majority of these are for toddlers (18 months and over), when I expect my son to be eating family meals rather than his own special food. Apparently this book follows on from her "book of weaning", which presumably features more recipes for younger babies.
The recipes are quite traditional, which on the plus side means the list of ingredients are shorter than many AK recipes, and you are therefore likely to have a lot of these in your store cupboard. However, I prefer the more unusual recipes AK has in her book such as fish with orange and cheese(and baby loves them too).
I also prefer the way AK's books are laid out, with receipes split into age groups e.g. 6 months, 7 - 9 months, 9 - 12 months, so you can gradually and easily introduce your baby to textured food. This book is split into meal types - soups, lunches, desserts etc, with each of these containing receipes for all age groups in a random order. Also, there are quite alot of recipes for soup - I just can't get my head around the practicalities of feeding a young baby soup!!
Finally, the book is quite "preachy" in typical Gina style. I found it annoying that the author assumes that the cook is a stay at home mum who spends all morning cooking for her baby. I wish! Also, I know lots of sugar isn't recommended for young children, but I think a small amount in desserts does no harm and allows baby to experience different tastes. I'm not sure what omiting it altogether is supposed to achieve, although of course, that is a mother's choice.
All in all, I think I will be trying some of the recipes when my son is older, but it definitly won't be as well used as my Annabel Karmel book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great healthy recipes, 10 July 2007
D. Gerald (London) - See all my reviews
A great book full of versitile, healthy and easy to make recipes! Very impressive, and definately has something for even the fussiest little eater - and from a recipe book-a-holic perspective, it is full of beautiful pictures and simple instructions! I would definately reccomend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 29 Aug 2009
I have found this book excellent. Ever since i bought it it has been used regularly and the receipes have been easy to follow and it means i have not had to buy any baby food and have been able to make portions that i can freeze. My baby has enjoyed everything i have cooked so far which gives me a sense of satisfaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
M. Saldanha - See all my reviews
Bought this when the kids were little, and now that they're four and seven I still use it

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow recipes, 17 Dec 2013
I really like this book as the recipes are very simple to follow and are uncomplicated. The results are always good, and Gina has a knack for knowing what kind of food babies like. I think my only comment is that it would be good to have more recipes which include a protein in them - don't get me wrong, many do but there are also quite a few that don't include protein in them. I guess you could just add your own to the mix though so it isn't a big deal.

Gina's weaning book (not this book) has great recipes for bumper macaroni cheese and corn chowder - they are not in this book, but I have to say that they are my baby's favourites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, 15 Dec 2013
Thank you very much for the book. In excellent condition and my baby loves the recipes. Would recommend you to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy recipes!, 27 Nov 2013
I've only just got this book, but looking through it there are lots of ideas and great sounding recipes. I particularly liked the batch cooking section which give suggestions for meals to cook together and freeze- essential if you have kids! Also the birthday party ideas, which I might just have to try out on the adults over Christmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!, 24 Nov 2013
Very helpful to provide me with ideas for my fussy son! Simple, and easy to follow. Great when trying to multi task cooking whilst parenting!