Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 1 April 2003
I appreaciate the upbeat tone of this book. I admit that I get confused and overwhelmed sometimes with all the psycho-babble out there. After all, no one author has all the answers that work on every child all of the time. I found comfort in this easy read book knowing for sure that I am not the only parent that faces daily challeges from the kids that can simply drive me crazy. "Toddler Taming has helped me feel less guilty and more competent raising my 3 young children, all under the age of 6. I have learned that there are indeed alternatives to the automatic parenting reactions of yelling, nagging, bribing, threatening and criticizing (that really aren't working anyway)...but they often require a deep breath, thought and a good bit of practice.
on 7 March 2002
As a first-time mum whose 18 month old has just started pushing other children over for no particular reason, flinging hard objects across the room and bashing his head on the floor when he can't have something he wants I found it deeply re-assuring to hear that such behaviour is normal! Dr Green stresses that toddlers do not behave like adults and once we accept this we save ourselves an awful lot of needless stress, worrying and argument. As well as reassurance he offers very practical advice on how to deal with tantrums, sleep problems, feeding, potty training etc. His style is easy and humourous and a big plus is that he never dictates just gets alongside you and suggests. A must-buy for every parent whose angelic baby has become a rampaging toddler!
on 10 July 2007
Our little bundle of joy was crying, screaming and kicking all day long. We thought he just wasn't normal, that we had done something wrong and bought this book to see if it could help. IT DID! It teaches you to put yourself in tiny toddler shoes and see life through their eyes. After understanding their mind your life will get a lot easier than it was. This book is a must have!
on 4 January 2002
This book is an enormous help when you are faced with a beligerant toddler. It gives practical, sensible suggestions and helps you to realise that your child is:
a) normal
b) going to pss through this difficult patch and
c)is not the devil reincarnated !!
It gives practical advice and even answers your 'that won't work because....' fears. It rescued us from a particularly difficult time with our second child and resumed a reasonable level of harmony to our household.
Well worth the money.
on 11 April 2002
The most fantastic child rearing book. It was recommended to me by my child's playschool leader and I refer to it at least once a week. After just a few pages, I realised that my child was not the naughtiest in the world, just a normal little boy. Christopher Green has restored peace and happiness to our family life, well for most of the time anyway.
on 20 June 2001
If, like me you've been trawling through the bookshops desperate to find a book that show you how to transform your obnoxious ankle biters into little angels stop right here!
Okay, 'Toddler Taming' doesn't quite promise to do that, but it does have bucket loads of practical advice on surviving the toddler years.
Dr Green has gleaned information from a wide range of sources. The result is a book which enables you to climb inside the mind of your wilful toddler and discover what makes them tick.
What's more, this book will have you nodding and chuckling from start to finish.
A fantastically entertaining and informative read.
on 30 March 2010
The book is full of great imnformation, and should be every parents' handbook.
makes you realise you are not making mistakes, things are not always your fault, and what rubbish the so-called experts say that make you feel you are an incompetent failure as a parent.
on 19 December 2009
Firstly, please don't be put off this book by the minority of negative reviews that focus on one or two things like "the rope trick" or sedation, taken somewhat out of context. On the latter point, remember that the author is writing as a consultant paediatrician, and note that he only discusses such techniques for very extreme cases, as a last resort, for a short period.

Don't be put off by the title either - Dr Green explicitly states that "taming is not what bringing up a toddler is all about".

Dr Green claims to be the originator of the "controlled crying" technique; some people seem to get very upset about this, whilst missing the point that the whole focus of the technique is on _not_ allowing the child to get unduly upset, whilst discouraging them from waking frequently. It is not the same thing as letting a child cry itself to sleep, which he describes as cruel and ineffective.

This book gives an excellent perspective on the full range of normal toddler behaviour (including a few tables of statistics) - often parents feel they are failures when in fact their toddler is completely normal. Dr Green therefore identifies some "non-problems" and areas where it is the parents' expectations that need to change, not the toddler.

He avoids the smug, glib attitudes common in know-it-all parenting books, and is realistic about problems that are truly very difficult or even insoluble.

Whilst he clearly states "I am firmly anti-smacking. It is a form of discipline that doesn't work", he also has a more pragmatic and less politically-correct approach to the topic than most recent parenting books, i.e. he states that the occasional smack is pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things, should not be mindlessly equated with frequent beatings, and might be justified in life-threatening sitations (e.g. child keeps removing seatbelt on the motorway).

The style of writing is clear and light-hearted, with plenty of stories and anecdotes to illustrate the main text.
on 13 August 2002
I don't have time to read self-help books cover to cover, but from time to time even the best mom and dad with a toddler can use a friendly reference guide to help restore their sanity. This book offers clearly organized information on a variety of parental concerns with compasion, experience, and humor. TODDLER TAMING has given me the support I needed for the past year with my curently 2-year-old spirited "angel". Additionally, I found a new book of the same easy, friendly style, written exclusively for the preschool years (ages 2 through 5). THE POCKET PARENT is literally a pocket-sized A-Z guide, addressing 40 common concerns. It's so convenient to quickly look up a troublesome behavior...Anger, Bad Words, Bedtime, Biting, "Gimmes", Hitting, Interrupting, Listening, Lying, Mealtime, Potty Training, Tantrums, Time-Outs and more. I keep both of these books handy--ready to give me some strategies to try... along with a much needed "verbal hug" when I'm just about at my wits' end with the kids. Neither book is preachy nor condescending. The authors include humorous anecdotes that truly hit home from beginning to end. I highly recommend both helpful reference books for the early years.
on 18 April 2006
This book is definitely the best I have read about bringing up your children. Dr. Green's style is extremely easy to read, fun, confidence-inspiring and the book is full of anecdotes and advice from his years of experience both as a father and paediatrician. You can tell Dr. Green has seen it all. What I found particularly helpful was his advice on how to read your toddler, his analysis of how a toddler thinks and behaves at various stages, what can safely be ignored (making life easier for Mummy and Daddy) and what needs to be addressed and how. I rated this book with 4 stars, however, as occasionally Dr. Green will not give an answer after detailing a problem, saying instead that he has not found a bomb-proof solution yet.

Our son is not quite a fully-fledged toddler yet, but having read this book has given my husband and myself the confidence to understand what is going on in his little head and how to live with it.