5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!
I appreaciate the upbeat tone of this book. I admit that I get confused and overwhelmed sometimes with all the psycho-babble out there. After all, no one author has all the answers that work on every child all of the time. I found comfort in this easy read book knowing for sure that I am not the only parent that faces daily challeges from the kids that can simply drive me...
Published on 1 April 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-up
Having used Dr.Green's other book "Babies" to help me survive the early months of fatherhood, I was hoping this one would prove just as useful in caring for my toddler. Unfortunately it isn't. Whereas the first book provided useful tips and techniques, this one is more conversational/anecdotal in tone - with hardly any practical tips. It's the equivalent of having a...
Published on 19 Mar. 2007 by MancMan

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my sanity !!!, 4 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This book is an enormous help when you are faced with a beligerant toddler. It gives practical, sensible suggestions and helps you to realise that your child is:
a) normal
b) going to pss through this difficult patch and
c)is not the devil reincarnated !!
It gives practical advice and even answers your 'that won't work because....' fears. It rescued us from a particularly difficult time with our second child and resumed a reasonable level of harmony to our household.
Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Confident parents are positive and positive parents are very powerful people", 8 April 2008
R. S. Rabab "Sindibad" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Toddler Taming is a great resource for first time parents. It covers a wide range of topics, which includes tantrums, eating, sleeping, toilet training and common toddler illnesses. It also includes a valuable set of appendices that cover child development milestones and immunisations.

Despite the wealth of general knowledge that is covered within the book, I personally found that some of the methods that were suggested for dealing with common toddler behavioural problems were either impractical or contradictory. However, the main value of the book lies in the fact that it educates the parents about toddlers and their characteristics and common traits. It also helps ingrain the fact that these challenges that are faced by parents are in fact the norm rather than the exception. Armed with this knowledge, confidence in parenting is likely to increase, and customising some of the methods suggested in this book to suite your parenting style could make noticeable difference, if not to your child's behaviour then at least to your reaction, understanding and ability to cope with such behaviour!

The book is written in a way that makes it accessible to all, and the author's use of humour made the educational experience all the more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 15 Jan. 2007
Caroline Watts "CW" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Toddler Taming: A parents' guide to the first four years: The World's Bestselling Parenting Guide (Paperback)
Dr Green's book is packed with fabulous, down to earth advice. Toddlers can drive their parents crazy, but this book helps you negotiate your way through the "Terrible Twos" and beyond. It's easy to read and understand and the advice REALLY works! If I were ever to meet Dr Green I would give him a big kiss as he helped me to enjoy my children and watch them develop into well behaved, happy children.

In my opinion, this is the best toddler book ever written!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise, Witty Workable Suggestions... NO Preaching!, 13 Aug. 2002
I don't have time to read self-help books cover to cover, but from time to time even the best mom and dad with a toddler can use a friendly reference guide to help restore their sanity. This book offers clearly organized information on a variety of parental concerns with compasion, experience, and humor. TODDLER TAMING has given me the support I needed for the past year with my curently 2-year-old spirited "angel". Additionally, I found a new book of the same easy, friendly style, written exclusively for the preschool years (ages 2 through 5). THE POCKET PARENT is literally a pocket-sized A-Z guide, addressing 40 common concerns. It's so convenient to quickly look up a troublesome behavior...Anger, Bad Words, Bedtime, Biting, "Gimmes", Hitting, Interrupting, Listening, Lying, Mealtime, Potty Training, Tantrums, Time-Outs and more. I keep both of these books handy--ready to give me some strategies to try... along with a much needed "verbal hug" when I'm just about at my wits' end with the kids. Neither book is preachy nor condescending. The authors include humorous anecdotes that truly hit home from beginning to end. I highly recommend both helpful reference books for the early years.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good :), 9 Sept. 2010
I decided to arm myself with a good book as soon as my daughter started showing signs of the terrible twos! I knew I needed an understanding of why she had started to do the things she was doing and this book has the answers. I'm only 5 chapters in but I started to notice a change in myself and the way i reacted to her behavior from the very next day after I started reading it. In turn this meant that she reacted differently to me and we are now experiencing much happier times. Don't get me wrong most of the mischievous behavior is still there and the odd tantrum is thrown in for good measure but they are fewer and far between because I am able to handle them better. Definitely worth a look in :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest thing to a child rearing manual you will find!!, 30 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
You know how people say "shame children don't come with an instruction manual..." well this is the next best thing.
I don't often read a factual book from cover to cover but I have this one. It was an enjoyable read and so true to life covering situations that, as the mother of a 2 year old, I am encountering on a daily basis.
If you are a stressed out parent, buy this book. I promise it will make your life just that wee bit easier

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good old fashioned common sense, 1 Aug. 2013
A lot of this is common sense so if you have common sense in bucket loads you probably don't need it, those lacking it may find it useful. Some reviewers say he endorses smacking, they are misquoting, he states smacking shouldn't be used but may be appropriate if toddler is about to do something extremely dangerous. Not sure about the ethics of his little rope trick ensuring the toddler won't escape from their bedroom, at the minute I don't see myself using it but if I get to the stage my child is continually reappearing downstairs at night I may be tempted, so long as something doesn't harm a child we can't knock other people's methods!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all parents, 17 Oct. 2007
This book offers invaluable advice. I always buy it for my friends instead of flowers after having their first child!!! My copy is completely dog eared from the times that I have thumbed through (for myself and when others have asked my advice!). I think the thing is with Dr Green that he helps to put these things into perspective and makes you realise that no parent is perfect, there will always be hurdles and that there is always a solution. After three children I still refer back to his advice when I come across something that is worrying me and it gives me the inspiration I need to deal with the situation, regardless of the problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parent friendly (maybe even a little too much so!), 14 Feb. 2005
The fact that Dr. Green is both a pediatrician and a father makes him highly qualified to offer hands-on expertise on raising children.
This book simply highlights common mistakes and introduces some new ideas (many of which come from the parents of his little patients) - nothing ground-breaking or revolutionary here, just some solid, sensible advice condensed down into a single book.
I can't say I agree with Dr. Green on everything (e.g. although he doesn't advocate spanking, he seems to consider it almost inevitable) but this book is much more sensible and realistic than most others of its kind.
Easy to read, doesn't judge or preach, isn't absolute, and tackles a lot of issues (not just behavioural). All in all, a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, parent's must have, 30 Mar. 2010
The book is full of great imnformation, and should be every parents' handbook.
makes you realise you are not making mistakes, things are not always your fault, and what rubbish the so-called experts say that make you feel you are an incompetent failure as a parent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›