5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!
Published on 1 April 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-up
Having used Dr.Green's other book "Babies" to help me survive the early months of fatherhood, I was hoping this one would prove just as useful in caring for my toddler. Unfortunately it isn't. Whereas the first book provided useful tips and techniques, this one is more conversational/anecdotal in tone - with hardly any practical tips. It's the equivalent of having a...
Published on 19 Mar. 2007 by MancMan

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!, 1 April 2003
By A Customer
I appreaciate the upbeat tone of this book. I admit that I get confused and overwhelmed sometimes with all the psycho-babble out there. After all, no one author has all the answers that work on every child all of the time. I found comfort in this easy read book knowing for sure that I am not the only parent that faces daily challeges from the kids that can simply drive me crazy. "Toddler Taming has helped me feel less guilty and more competent raising my 3 young children, all under the age of 6. I have learned that there are indeed alternatives to the automatic parenting reactions of yelling, nagging, bribing, threatening and criticizing (that really aren't working anyway)...but they often require a deep breath, thought and a good bit of practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guidance and reassurance for parents and toddlers., 7 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
As a first-time mum whose 18 month old has just started pushing other children over for no particular reason, flinging hard objects across the room and bashing his head on the floor when he can't have something he wants I found it deeply re-assuring to hear that such behaviour is normal! Dr Green stresses that toddlers do not behave like adults and once we accept this we save ourselves an awful lot of needless stress, worrying and argument. As well as reassurance he offers very practical advice on how to deal with tantrums, sleep problems, feeding, potty training etc. His style is easy and humourous and a big plus is that he never dictates just gets alongside you and suggests. A must-buy for every parent whose angelic baby has become a rampaging toddler!

5.0 out of 5 stars calling all stressed parents!, 20 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
If, like me you've been trawling through the bookshops desperate to find a book that show you how to transform your obnoxious ankle biters into little angels stop right here!
Okay, 'Toddler Taming' doesn't quite promise to do that, but it does have bucket loads of practical advice on surviving the toddler years.
Dr Green has gleaned information from a wide range of sources. The result is a book which enables you to climb inside the mind of your wilful toddler and discover what makes them tick.
What's more, this book will have you nodding and chuckling from start to finish.
A fantastically entertaining and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made me realise my child is normal!, 11 April 2002
By A Customer
The most fantastic child rearing book. It was recommended to me by my child's playschool leader and I refer to it at least once a week. After just a few pages, I realised that my child was not the naughtiest in the world, just a normal little boy. Christopher Green has restored peace and happiness to our family life, well for most of the time anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice, 3 Jan. 2003
Melanie McEvoy (Clevedon, Avon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having no-one able to advise me on my first child, I found Dr Greens 'Toddler Taming' to be my bible throughout my daugthers first four years. He made me realise that my child (and myself) are perfectly normal and that I am not alone. His practical advise and anecdote have kept me one step ahead and even allowed me to feel confident enough to have another child. I do not know what I would have done without his brilliant, yet subtle, approach - I may never have coped this far!! I cannot praise this book enough - a must have for all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential comprehensive advice for weary parents, 17 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
Having purchased a wide range of child rearing books, I find Dr Green's Toddler Taming to be one of the best. In times where quiet reading is not on your top 10 list of things to do this book is simple, well structured and clear in it's advice. Mostly, it is all information that is floating around in your own tired, baby obsessed brain, but here is it clearly laid out so that parents are able to comprehend and then action the advice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toddler book, 4 Nov. 2004
By A Customer
I read the section about sleep because my son of 1year old was waking in the middle of the night and would not get back to sleep. The book help me completely so that I was more confident and new what to do to help my son to sleep through the night. He now with the help and advice from the book sleeps through the night and there are only a few nights when he gets up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, common sense and entertaining, 27 May 2005
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a great book for any new toddler-owner. Dr Green attempts to explain much of their puzzling behaviour and does so with great authority and humour. The book is full of ideas, although many more 'PC' parents will struggle with some of his suggestions (the rope-door trick?!).
The author really has seen it all, with children of his own and many many stories about the little patients he has treated over the years. He draws upon this wealth of experience and presents his theories in a very readable and accessible way. As a parent you do not feel preached at or talked down to. He works from the basic premise that you want the best for your toddler, and put that ideal in a real-life context.
All in all, a great read (and we love the little cartoons at the start of each chapter). Its not a book to read from cover to cover straight off but is great to dip into as and when you need some help - or just a different approach.
It scores 4 not 5 from me, as a lot of it seems very obvious, but I still rate this highly and recommend it to all those wondering what happened to their precious, angelic little baby!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not mad after all!, 26 Jun. 2007
D. Thomson - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Toddler Taming: A parents' guide to the first four years: The World's Bestselling Parenting Guide (Paperback)
This is the ONLY book you should ever read about toddler problems. Or rather: parents' problems with toddlers! Dr. Green writes in such a humourous and down-to-earth way, it immediately makes you feel normal again. When in doubt about anything, I always pick up this book and feel immediately reassured. Even with my second toddler, it is still looked at weekly, because no child is the same.

His advice is very helpful and it definetely works! I can thoroughly recommend this book to any parent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great common sense advice, 12 Mar. 2003
By A Customer
My 20 month-old daughter has become an expert tantrum thrower - usually in the middle of the supermarket! I felt like I must be a bad parent or she wouldn't behave like this. Dr Green's book makes easy reading. Normally with parenting books, I just flip to the relevant section and ignore the rest, but I've read this one from cover to cover. His advice is sensible and practical, and above all makes you feel like you're not alone, and that your child is just being a typical toddler. His style is humorous and down-to-earth. I'm determined to try out the Time Out option. Above all, he reminds us not to beat ourselves up for getting worn out!
Well worth a read!