5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!
Published on 1 April 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-up
Having used Dr.Green's other book "Babies" to help me survive the early months of fatherhood, I was hoping this one would prove just as useful in caring for my toddler. Unfortunately it isn't. Whereas the first book provided useful tips and techniques, this one is more conversational/anecdotal in tone - with hardly any practical tips. It's the equivalent of having a...
Published on 19 Mar 2007 by MancMan

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!, 1 April 2003
By A Customer
I appreaciate the upbeat tone of this book. I admit that I get confused and overwhelmed sometimes with all the psycho-babble out there. After all, no one author has all the answers that work on every child all of the time. I found comfort in this easy read book knowing for sure that I am not the only parent that faces daily challeges from the kids that can simply drive me crazy. "Toddler Taming has helped me feel less guilty and more competent raising my 3 young children, all under the age of 6. I have learned that there are indeed alternatives to the automatic parenting reactions of yelling, nagging, bribing, threatening and criticizing (that really aren't working anyway)...but they often require a deep breath, thought and a good bit of practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guidance and reassurance for parents and toddlers., 7 Mar 2002
By A Customer
As a first-time mum whose 18 month old has just started pushing other children over for no particular reason, flinging hard objects across the room and bashing his head on the floor when he can't have something he wants I found it deeply re-assuring to hear that such behaviour is normal! Dr Green stresses that toddlers do not behave like adults and once we accept this we save ourselves an awful lot of needless stress, worrying and argument. As well as reassurance he offers very practical advice on how to deal with tantrums, sleep problems, feeding, potty training etc. His style is easy and humourous and a big plus is that he never dictates just gets alongside you and suggests. A must-buy for every parent whose angelic baby has become a rampaging toddler!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: New Toddler Taming: The world's bestselling parenting guide fully revised and updated (Paperback)
Here is a summery of this book as I see it.
1. Toddlers are attention addicts and if you don't pay attention to them voluntarily they will find ways to hijack your attention anyway (very true).
2. Ignore bad behaviour, reward good (sounds very simple and obvious, but less obvious when all of a sudden your sweet baby turns into someone who throws objects at you at the gentlest attempt to scold him)
3. Enjoy your toddler (I am glad I had this book to remind me to enjoy "the magic of this age" while running between the screaming baby and the screaming toddler).
There are bits in this book I disagree with but unlike some other parenting gurus Dr Green says it himself: "We don't need to bring our children up exactly by the book".
I can honestly say this book made a difference to my life

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my sanity !!!, 4 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This book is an enormous help when you are faced with a beligerant toddler. It gives practical, sensible suggestions and helps you to realise that your child is:
a) normal
b) going to pss through this difficult patch and
c)is not the devil reincarnated !!
It gives practical advice and even answers your 'that won't work because....' fears. It rescued us from a particularly difficult time with our second child and resumed a reasonable level of harmony to our household.
Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars calling all stressed parents!, 20 Jun 2001
By A Customer
If, like me you've been trawling through the bookshops desperate to find a book that show you how to transform your obnoxious ankle biters into little angels stop right here!
Okay, 'Toddler Taming' doesn't quite promise to do that, but it does have bucket loads of practical advice on surviving the toddler years.
Dr Green has gleaned information from a wide range of sources. The result is a book which enables you to climb inside the mind of your wilful toddler and discover what makes them tick.
What's more, this book will have you nodding and chuckling from start to finish.
A fantastically entertaining and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 15 Jan 2007
Caroline Watts "CW" (UK) - See all my reviews
Dr Green's book is packed with fabulous, down to earth advice. Toddlers can drive their parents crazy, but this book helps you negotiate your way through the "Terrible Twos" and beyond. It's easy to read and understand and the advice REALLY works! If I were ever to meet Dr Green I would give him a big kiss as he helped me to enjoy my children and watch them develop into well behaved, happy children.

In my opinion, this is the best toddler book ever written!

5.0 out of 5 stars The closest thing to a child rearing manual you will find!!, 30 Nov 2001
By A Customer
You know how people say "shame children don't come with an instruction manual..." well this is the next best thing.
I don't often read a factual book from cover to cover but I have this one. It was an enjoyable read and so true to life covering situations that, as the mother of a 2 year old, I am encountering on a daily basis.
If you are a stressed out parent, buy this book. I promise it will make your life just that wee bit easier

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver!, 10 July 2007
Our little bundle of joy was crying, screaming and kicking all day long. We thought he just wasn't normal, that we had done something wrong and bought this book to see if it could help. IT DID! It teaches you to put yourself in tiny toddler shoes and see life through their eyes. After understanding their mind your life will get a lot easier than it was. This book is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise, Witty Workable Suggestions... NO Preaching!, 13 Aug 2002
I don't have time to read self-help books cover to cover, but from time to time even the best mom and dad with a toddler can use a friendly reference guide to help restore their sanity. This book offers clearly organized information on a variety of parental concerns with compasion, experience, and humor. TODDLER TAMING has given me the support I needed for the past year with my curently 2-year-old spirited "angel". Additionally, I found a new book of the same easy, friendly style, written exclusively for the preschool years (ages 2 through 5). THE POCKET PARENT is literally a pocket-sized A-Z guide, addressing 40 common concerns. It's so convenient to quickly look up a troublesome behavior...Anger, Bad Words, Bedtime, Biting, "Gimmes", Hitting, Interrupting, Listening, Lying, Mealtime, Potty Training, Tantrums, Time-Outs and more. I keep both of these books handy--ready to give me some strategies to try... along with a much needed "verbal hug" when I'm just about at my wits' end with the kids. Neither book is preachy nor condescending. The authors include humorous anecdotes that truly hit home from beginning to end. I highly recommend both helpful reference books for the early years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great common sense advice, 12 Mar 2003
By A Customer
My 20 month-old daughter has become an expert tantrum thrower - usually in the middle of the supermarket! I felt like I must be a bad parent or she wouldn't behave like this. Dr Green's book makes easy reading. Normally with parenting books, I just flip to the relevant section and ignore the rest, but I've read this one from cover to cover. His advice is sensible and practical, and above all makes you feel like you're not alone, and that your child is just being a typical toddler. His style is humorous and down-to-earth. I'm determined to try out the Time Out option. Above all, he reminds us not to beat ourselves up for getting worn out!
Well worth a read!