5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life
Published on 19 Sep 2010 by I eat less!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely convinced
I certainly would not dissuade anybody from buying this book. It seems to have worked for a lot of people but I prefered Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever by Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol H. Munter. Riley condemns diets, which I applaud but the pyschological techniques she introduces to prevent overeating did not fully work for me. Whereas...
Published on 27 Jun 2009 by S. Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
This review is long overdue but I feel I owe it to Gillian to finally get it out there. Having browsed Amazon for "overeating" I found this book in February 2007 and since then my life has changed for the better. I didn't have a clinical eating disorder - just about 12 years of dieting and overeating in cycles under my belt and after having my first child ended up a good three stone overweight. Looking at my mother and her mother before her I can see that had it not been for this book I was destined to continue in this way for the rest of my life - getting heavier and heavier, fighting a losing battle with my weight and becoming more and more frustrated.

The techniques in this book worked for me - balancing out the two extremes and meeting somewhere in the middle. I had to suspend disbelief at first - I really didn't belive the changes would be dramatic enough to make any difference but slowly and surely they did. Over the past 2 and a half years I have lost all of my excess weight and feel great - but the best thing for me is the psychological differences. I now realise that I got absolutley no enjoyment from overeating - in fact in made me miserable but I felt compelled to continue until the next Monday morning, Weight Watchers meeting, end of my holiday or whatever. It takes a bit of getting used to, and I don't use all of the techniques suggested - just the ones that have solved my particular problems. I can see now that there was nothing in me that predestined me to be overweight - I simply ate too much. When I eat too much now - I just let it go and move on - in my dieting days that would have been the trigger for days of overeating before getting a grip again and starting a new diet. When I hear women talking about diets now I feel so glad that is no longer my way of life - I will never go on another diet. I have saved myself years of anger and resentment and wish I had read it years ago.

Thank you Gillian Riley!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious freedom from an eating disorder, 16 Mar 2008
C. Timsan "The change is real" (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
I have suffered from bulimia and anorexia for over ten years and I
have had many types of therapy, books, hypnosis but everything is
always temporary. I always go back to overeating which in turn goes
back to the bulimia because of the fear of weight gain, which happens
anyway...! I am so happy to have found this way, it sounds so simple
but it is so true and I finally accept that it may be a long road but
IS the right one. One thing I wanted to mention which I really could
recommend for other overeaters. I carry with me now a little card and
make a tally for any times during the day I even slightly want to over
eat or eat when I am not hungry. This is great way to watch progress
without the scales! I started at about 800(!) times a day and
yesterday I was on 14!

These changes will affect you immediately and not from tomorrow morning! The book shows you how to be free from thinking about safe and trigger foods and teaches you how to listen to and respect your body.

The madness can end, trust me!

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful book, will forever change your relationship to food, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
I picked up Gillian Riley's book to help overcome my occasional overeating and quasi-disordered relationship with food. I wasn't disappointed, and although I finished this book over two months ago, not a day has gone by without me thinking about some of the chapters. Riley herself has been an overeater and has a lot of experience helping people with the same problem. For this reason, it is an incredibly powerful book. At times, I felt like she was speaking directly to me. I now realize that I am certainly not alone in my thoughts and actions, and this alone is very comforting to me. As a result of this book I feel prepared to tackle the negative thoughts I have about food ("It'll go to waste if I don't eat it", "I ruined my diet so I might as well quit", "I can't say no if someone offers me food", etc.). I don't have a perfect relationship to food yet but I feel significantly better equipped to tackle problems and have begun to eradicate some situations of overeating. Most importantly, my focus is starting to shift to feeling healthy instead of looking thin, and this has made a big difference.

However, I did have a few qualms with the book. As someone who is quite well-read on nutrition, I had a few problems with her chapter on what we should eat (e.g. I don't believe in the idea that starchy carbohydrates are completely unnecessary). I also think she could have elaborated a bit on her ideas of plans and times, as they were a relatively brief part of the book but kept coming back as recurring themes.

In spite of this, I highly recommend this book to anyone who even remotely struggles to have a healthy relationship to food. If it doesn't change your life completely, then I'm certain that it will at least be thought-provoking on a day-to-day basis. Riley helps you reclaim your control, feel powerful, and sets you well on the path for recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful enough to put other authors to shame, 8 Jun 2006
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
This is way ahead of other books I've read on the subject: clearer, more humourous, less hysterical, and - most importantly - much more subtle and the level of analysis is on a different plane. I bought several books that I thought looked similar, and this one stood out a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a mind shift!, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
This book has an entirely new approach. Instead of the usual "eat when your body says you're hungry and visualise your slimmer self" it poses a different question "if you had the perfect body now - would there still be a reason for you to change your eating habits?". This challenged me to critically examine what I was doing from a health, and indeed mental health perspective. So when you rebel against your self-imposed restrictions by saying "Oh stuff it - no one is looking at my figure" it takes away the opportunity for justifiable self-sabotage. If you keep returning to considering yourself and your health then other peoples opinions and society's judgements cease to be important. All-you-can-eat buffets and three course business lunches had become a socially acceptable opportunity for me to overeat - now, thanks to the tools in this book, they have become an opportunity to exercise my new-found control over my food consumption. Having struggled with my weight for 30 years and only having started this in mid February I am still naturally cautious but my weight is coming down slowly but surely - and I see no reason to abandon the self-prioritising and health enhancing behaviour this book has encouraged me to adopt.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books I've ever read, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
I'd like to preface this by saying that I've bought a lot of books on Amazon. I love reading, and get through an average of 2 or 3 per week. However this is the first time that I've ever been compelled to write a review; I got so much value from this book that I felt the need to do my bit to convince a compulsive eater who may be on the fence, or may not think it's for them to just give it a shot. It's worth it. :)

I've been a comfort eater and junk food addict ever since I was little. I'd sneak any snacks I could find up to my room, and the fatter I got, the worse the compulsions became. As an adult this continued, and though I've staved off obesity through weightlifting and sports, I'm still about four stone overweight. And as a guy who likes to be in control, this has been a massive source of stress and negativity. I've tried again and again to put myself on a diet, but every time my willpower crumbles within a week and I binge. It's been my embarrassing secret that I basically hid from everyone around me.

When I read Gillians book, it was like a lightbulb went off in my head. She talks about how when you try and 'force' yourself to eat a restrictive diet, it stresses your mind, and causes you to subconsciously 'rebel' as you feel deprived. Whereas if you shift your mindset to 'I can eat whatever I want at any time, but if I eat junk I accept the consequences', then you don't feel like you're shackling yourself, and it removes the stress in one sweep.

After reading, I went out to buy some food. Instead of forcefully steering clear of the ice-cream and pizza aisles, I took Gillians advice and faced them head on, walking down and saying to myself 'If I want I can get some, but am I okay with the health problems and fatigue that comes with it?' I then realised that I actually didn't really want any, and carried on with my shopping. I know this sounds kind of dumb, but as soon as I realised that these foods weren't 'banned', and if I felt like it I could eat them at any time in the future, my cravings for junk decreased significantly. I actually felt a modicum of control around food for the first time in my entire life. And that's just one small facet of her 'method'.

Have I been cured? Not yet. But though it's only been a few days since I read the book, I don't think I can overemphasize how much healthier my relationship with food is.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I have conquered my eating problems, 23 April 2003
By A Customer
I can't believe it,this book makes perfect sense, everything has just fallen into place. I feel so much more confident due to a higher self esteem, which the book talks about. Its about understanding the cause which is the overeating not the sympton which is the weight gain, once you understand and have mastered the cause, the rest falls into place. I read the book in February and so far have lost over a stone with no difficulty whatsover, its amazing. Wish I had read this years ago. Better late than never.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 7 Aug 2008
Sam (North-East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Paperback)
This is the only book I've ever bought twice after throwing all my 'diet' books out a few years ago after vowing never to go 'on a diet' again.

I've followed all the major commercial diets and even lost four stones on one of them, but they never once taught me how to eat healthily (and there's always a way to 'cheat', on all of them!). Hence, after coming off the diet I put all the weight back on and a couple more stones on top for good measure. Sound familiar?

This year I decided that I needed to sort my life out for once and for all and get healthy (oh and lose about 6 stones too!!), and I remembered this book and the common sense it seemed to make.

I'm relieved that I'll never have to go on a so-called 'diet' again (though I was tempted because it worked before), but as the stats keep telling us, 99% of us regain all the weight (and then some)when we stop following them.

This book consistantly makes real references to how I do/did eat. I'm not going to say it'll change you overnight, but her tools will make you realise just how addicted you are to food and how to work through making lasting and real changes for the rest of your life. The focus isn't on what the scales tell you (thank God!), but teaches you the concept of true choice and has helped me no end to break the chains of my 'diet' mentality which have weighed me down (!) for many, many years, to the point of depression.

It's not always easy as it teaches you how to face your addiction head on and take responsibility for what you put in your mouth, but now I'm starting to get it I'm really taking positive steps to be who I really am, deep down. I can't recommend this book highly enough to anyone who has a problem with food and wants to change, for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic!, 14 July 2003
By A Customer
This book makes serious sense. I have tried so many diets and so many self help books (my book shelf is overweight too by now) and I was getting sick of trying different things all the time and in the end feeling more confused than when I started. Then I decided to read this book, armed with an open mind, and - whoosh - it all was clear. I know now what I am suffering from, food addiction, and I know how to combat it. Not a calorie counter in sight and I am feeling great and relieved to have realised what to do. And yes, it works, I am losing weight but somehow the main focus is taken away from that and it's just a pleasant side effect. I am less obsessed with food, I can treat myself to things that I like but I can most of the time just as easily say no. This book is truly great, Ms Riley has written it in a good, down to earth language, there are no recipes nor pictures with stomach exercises included. Just good advice that makes sense. So get the book and start on your way to a better you. I would give this book 6 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is not the same as all the others you've read!, 1 Jun 2002
By A Customer
I have a bookshelf full of books on eating and weight control which I've collected over the years, I've read every single one and none of them have had any effect on my long-term eating. I'd gradually come to the conclusion that my excessive eating was due to some as yet undiscovered physical problem and when medicine finally caught up and discovered my problem there'd be a pill I could take which would cure me forever!
Anyway, I got fed up with waiting for the miracle cure and read Gillian Riley's book. I had preconceived ideas concerning the book before I started, I thought it would be all that stuff about repressed rage, subconciously wanting to be fat because it felt safer, unexpressed emotions etc etc etc (I'm sure you've heard it all before). As I read, however, her common sense and simple ideas really seemed to strike a chord. I read the book in one day and put her ideas into practice immediately. It was a revelation. For the first time I didn't feel powerless regarding my eating habits.
The book contains simple strategies to gain control of your eating habits NOW,I found that they worked immediately. If you really take on board what the author is saying, you will gain more self-knowledge and experience a real shift in your attitudes and thinking around food. If you think you've read everything there is to know about eating and weight, you haven't. This book contains new ideas and information that I personally found more effective that anything else I have ever read. I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating by Gillian Riley (Paperback - 7 July 2005)