5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny � and wise
Published on 22 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but occasionally misleading...
Published on 10 Jan 2008 by beardedmatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny � and wise, 22 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
I had to stop reading Fatherhood in bed because, every night, I would suddenly have a long and near helpless fit of laughter. My wife would want to know what I'd found so funny, and then she would be laughing too, and hey presto! all traces of drowsiness were gone. I was obliged to read the book only during daylight, and then outside working (and childcaring) hours. Because Fatherhood is simply the funniest book I have read about pregnancy and childcare, and also - and even more importantly - the only one I have read to have such an acute insight into the father's point of view. For example, Berkmann is being both funny and ruefully perceptive when he observes that the 20 minutes the father-to-be spends staring at a sad, depleted hospital vending machine somewhere in those long hours of his partner's first labour are the last moments he will truly have to himself, probably ever. He is all too correct when he tells us that getting to grips (literally) with "piss, shit and vomit" - to give one of the book's splendidly honest chapter headings - will soon become as routine as brushing your teeth. By the way, if you are one of those patriarchal types who thinks changing a nappy or doing a night feed is someone else's job - shame on you! -  you won't like this book. It is a manual for the hands on dad, carefully and informatively taking him through every stage of the fatherhood process from that fateful act of jiggy-jiggy to the puke-stained trousers at the first birthday party a mere 21 months later. Fatherhood is reassuringly sensible, genuinely instructive, and also absolutely hilarious. Fellow dads of infants, read this book to know that you are not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, should be read by both parents!, 30 Mar 2006
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
This book is a really funny (and truthful) account from the worries about the first scan, to the horrors of changing nappies, and seems to cover every new Dad's hopes and fears in an entertaining way as possible. I haven't read any of Marcus' other work, but he approaches this subject with a passion for comedy and an eye for the truth, that will cut through all the old wives tales associated with fatherhood and baby issues. Essential reading for Father and Mother alike! In fact the wife said it was ten times better for her than any of the books aimed at new mothers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jun 2005
D. Barnett (Rutland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
Couldn't think of anything catchier for my review title, but that says it all. There are far too many books on fatherhood out there that are written in a conspirational 'I know you'd rather be down the pub, mate' sort of way that is, quite frankly, tiresome (read 'You're Pregnant Too, Mate!' if you want evidence of this).
This is a very well written book that manages to combine some really useful information with a great deal of humour. I would consider my 'level' of humour to be relatively highbrow, and I certainly don't go along with the reviewer who felt this treated them as a teenager. As a 34 year old man expecting my first child I felt it was pitched just about perfectly.
He tells things exactly as they are, without trying to preach or force his opinions down your neck. It's refreshing to read something that acknowledges the different attitudes to fatherhood men may have, and doesn't simply assume we are all dreading it and wish we'd 'been more careful'.
Clearly I cannot comment on how accurate some of the content is just yet, as our child does not arrive for a few weeks, but I certainly feel a lot better informed as to what to expect.
Thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end - can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars FATHERHOOD by MARCUS BERKMANN, 5 Aug 2005
georgia coops (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
Tells it how it really is, making one cringe and laugh together!I so enjoyed the book which took me back to those early days very vividly .A must for anyone preparing to embark on the fatherhood journey or for anyone who wants to be reminded of what it was all like -it has a strange tendency to be superseded by every new stage and Marcus Berkmann brings it all back in sharp detail.A chance too for the mums to see from the dad's perspective...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for new and old parents., 14 April 2010
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
A thoroughly enjoyable read, both insightful and funny. I am a farther to be for the first time and like some of you I'm sure, I am constantly going through the mix of emotions, from being thrilled with excitement to possibly the most frightened you have ever been. In one breath you can't wait for the day to arrive and in the next you worry about what lies ahead. Both my partner and I have been flooded with material from our midwife and other parent clubs we have joined and some of you will agree that it can be slightly daunting and over whelming. My partner has brought and been given many pregnancy and parenting books and yes they were serious, to the point and very informative and these books are great as a reference guide. However `Fatherhood the truth' is not one of these books! It is an enjoyable `MALE ORIENTATED' view. It's full of funny `laddish' humour that to be honest will put your mind at a little ease in the onslaught of literature and stories you hear and receive. I have already read some of my partner's medical related books on pregnancy and they can be as informative as they can be frightening and confusing. This book will not give you the answers as it's clearly Mr. Berkman's views but what it will do is poise questions for you to investigate at the same time as entertaining you.

If you are a farther to be or already have Children and is intending on buying this book I only ask that you ignore the negative comments some people have left, I feel them to be very unjust and also feel that they don't understand what this book is about and who its aimed at. I can only imagine that the people who left the negative comments brought this or any book as they wanted a clear step by step guide with all the answers on how to act and how to be a parent! As far as I'm concerned if you need a book to tell you exactly how to be a parent . . .you probably shouldn't be having children!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on fatherhood, 25 Aug 2009
S. Walker (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
This is quite simply one of the best books anywhere near this subject. I have recommended it to every dad-to-be I have come across. Nothing in my wife's massive library of parental literature came close to being this funny, and this informative. I am sure that the humour is also one of the best ways to help you recall all that vital information when it comes to the crunch and you are really wishing that you'd paid more attention in the NCT classes. Buy it now whilst you still have have disposable income.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book for first time fathers, 9 April 2008
S.Ryu (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
For those who are new or about to become new fathers this is an excellent book. Written in a bloke friendly way (I had tried to read a couple of others which were hard going in comparison). Full of humour but with plenty of facts that got me thinking about the right things without filling me with dread or fear. It equipped me to go on and read some of the other books that I had found harder going...
Anyway highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring! Turns out I am normal after all, 17 Nov 2007
Petrolhead (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
This was great. An easy read, and one that set my mind at rest with its ruthlessly honest insights into how men feel about stuff. I have delved into a couple of baby books written mainly with the mother in mind, and they were well worth reading. But Berkmann pitches his witty advice straight at the father-to-be, and relates the story of pregnancy, birth and babyhood without sparing us any of the neuroticism, cynicism, selfishness and panic that fill your brain.
I don't know why some reviewers gave this book the thumbs down. You'd have to be pretty po-faced or unselfconfident to pretend it's not both funny and useful. Of course it is not the only manual you will need on the road to fatherhood, but it fills in a lot of the gaps, and if it gets some semi-detached dads more interested in their family, then hooray.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but occasionally misleading..., 10 Jan 2008
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
I read it cover-to-cover in 3 sittings and I laughed out loud repeatedly. I connected with the fears and hopes and feelings of the men whose stories are told and I thought the tone was just about right... but... but... there were 3 or 4 all too brief discussions of medical matters that I thought, however well-meaning, were misleading. I'd tell him too if I could find his email address.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and true, 19 April 2008
This review is from: Fatherhood: The Truth (Paperback)
A great read for all fathers-to-be and new dads, conveys all the essential information in a light-hearted way but without brushing over the harder stuff. Thoroughly recommended!

Fatherhood: The Truth
Fatherhood: The Truth by Marcus Berkmann (Paperback - 6 Jan 2005)