5.0 out of 5 stars G.I. Points Diet
I have followed the G.I. Points Diet for 11 weeks now and have lost 21 lbs! I have found that on weeks when I haven't lost I have managed to maintain which is something I have not been able to do on previous diets.

Published on 25 May 2004 by chrissieworne1

3.0 out of 5 stars This would be great, if you could relate it to the real worl
Published on 7 Jun 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars G.I. Points Diet, 25 May 2004
This review is from: The GI Plan: Lose Weight Forever (Previously published as The Gi Point Diet) (Paperback)

My blood pressure has lowered beautifully, my mass body index has changed for the good, I am at much less risk of joint problems and other weight related issues. My GP is very pleased with my progress.

I am enjoying the plan because I don't feel as though I am on a diet! People at work often ask me "what are you eating now?" I really enjoy my snacks and find that I don't suffer from the hunger pangs and drops in energy that I used to have. (especially during parts of your monthly cycle...for women)

It's a real treat to have a 3 course meal with a yummy homemade, points- free veggie soup and a sugar free jelly for dessert! Try popping some fresh strawberries in and having a generous dollop of fat free fromage frais on top.

I find that this new way of eating is so flexible whether you are eating in or out, I also have no difficulty making sensible choices using the Veggie, Veggie, Protein, Carbs method of choosing food.

Of course I have had the odd lapse and have been cross with myself for going back to the old habit of "comfort eating" but have just got back on track straight away, not dwelt on it. Before I would have carried on bingeing!

My skin and hair are in fantastic condition and I love the exercising as part of my daily routine whether it is walking or sports. Even if you are not able to exercise fully as I wasn't when I pulled a muscle and couldn't do much for 2 weeks, there are "armchair exercises" you can do and a couple of tins of beans make great weights so you can "lift those arms" even while watching TV.

I have to admit I was sceptical at first as I have tried...and failed on so many diets before. This is a lifestyle change, an education and it all makes so much sense!!! I have lost slowly but surely and most importantly kept it off.

I would highly recommend the G.I.Points diet to everyone, it is a steady, sensible plan that will change your life for all the right reasons, the book is an inspiration, make sure you read the motivation sections, it's a vital part of the plan.

IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN!! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE....ONLY WEIGHT.

CHRIS WORNE, SUFFOLK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to lose but weight!?, 27 Jan 2005
By A Customer
I was a little sceptical when I bought this book but having had pregnancy diabetes I have been advised to watch my diet in future as I am at high risk of developing the disease. I chose this one because of the points system which made it easier to follow.
I can honestly say I don't feel hungry. I am also losing weight. I have stopped the swinging blood sugars and accompanying mood changes.
My only slight criticism is the basic food list. It has little in the way of branded food and there is no way of working out points for yourself.
The philosophy is easy to follow and makes a great deal of sense. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in adopting this dietery lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Dieting Can be this Easy., 14 May 2004
P. Naylor "Pat" (UK) - See all my reviews
The GI Points Diet is a well-written and easy to follow book. It outlines why and how GI points work as well as providing hints on keeping up your motivation.
It has very useful sections on what to look for when reading nutrient labels on food products, what to choose when eating out and what to shop for in the supermarket. The authors explain how to incorporate the diet into normal family mealtimes without the need for special ingredients or costly ready meals.
The book features an amazingly wide range of recipes covering most tastes and preferences and even some exercises you can do while sitting at your desk.
A book that will keep the whole family healthy without them even realising they are on a diet!

3.0 out of 5 stars This would be great, if you could relate it to the real worl, 7 Jun 2004
By A Customer
The book is well written, in a fun style without too much in the way of facts and figures, although it is pretty much the same format as every other diet book I've read (and, believe me, I've read a few). Sometimes I felt like I was being lectured by an American teen (even though this is a British book) with things being "cool" to eat and being urged to "get off my buns" and exercise, and other "hip" phrases that I found a little patronising, but that's just a personal thing.
The content of the book itself is a wonderful idea. Incorporating a restricted "processed" carb food intake with increased fresh vegetables in an enforced balanced diet with "v,v,p,c" (veggie, veggie, protein, carb). This is handy if the reader needs to get an idea of what a balanced diet actually consists of, so I applaud that. The only problem I have is that, in avoiding promoting particular brands the writers abstract their points system somewhat from the real world. There is no way to work out what the "points" value of a product is, even if you have the fibre, protein and carbohydrate figures printed on it. That, for me, was a major disappointment.
Overall, a good book, with some useful tips, but I need a bit more help with applying it to the food I buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try GI!!, 28 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This is the first GI diet I have tried - In my case I am less interested in losing wieght (but it's always welcome!) and more in regulating my blood sugar as I am a Type two diabetic. I found the book informative and easy to follow. The use of a points system (a bit like weight watchers) makes things easy to caclulate and the principles of more fruit and veg and heathly carbs and fats make sense. I have only just started following the plan but haven't felt hungery, the fact that you eat three meals and three snacks each day has defintley help with my diabeties. The minus point is that the book doesn't include branded products and is therefore a little basic - it would benefit from a wider choice of receipes and meal selections but otherwise a great introduction to eating the GI way!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Jun 2005
The book would be a five were it not for one major criticism.. The food list is terribly basic!! To not bother to include for example low fat mayo, or indeed hoummous (which several other GI books rave about!) is very sloppy indeed, and there are plenty of examples of this.. It really does hinder trying to put the plan into action. However the actual plan itself from what i've read so far is very simple, plain english, and low on the science lectures, all of which is good. Providing the author takes on board the limitations of the foods she's listed and the omissions i'm sure the next edition of the book will provide the full picture of the plan, and enable people to follow it successfully.. Overall very reader friendly..

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best!, 17 Jun 2005
By A Customer
The GI Plan has great information for anyone trying to lose the spare tire around the middle region.I have lost weight following the recommended protocol to the letter and it's easy to do.
Common sense eating at it's best. I also recommend the Backsmart Fitness Plan by Dr. Adam Weiss, a great book I used with this book to help burn off my fat and build strength without the bulk.
Thanks to both books I have lost weight and kept it off.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good diet but poorly delivered, 4 Jun 2006
Mr. M. Mooney (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst I accept that the GI diet is a good way of losing weight and constitutes healthy eating particularly for someone like me who has diabetes in the family I'm afraid I cannot recommend this book as I couldnt finish it because I found the informal chatty style of writing extremely annoying. I recognise that as a middle aged male I am probably not the target audience for this book but if I'd known the word 'cool' would be used so often and that the book would be littered with loads of naff maxims on 'life' that are as throwaway and forgettable as all the others we are bombarded with on daytime TV, the spirit of Lorraine Kelly leaps out of every chapter. No not for me, I'll have to dig deep into my pockets and purchase a book that concentrates on the facts about the diet and doesnt patronise me.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's working for me!, 4 Jun 2004
My first thought was well what exactly does Gi stand for, I had heard of it, and the Gi Point Diet book has help me to now fully understand.
The books has many tips, some quite obvious but nevertheless reinforcement linked to practical hints has really worked for me.
Shopping is easier & I find I am not filling the trolley with non essential items.
Developing & controlling my eating plans is helped by the list of low GiP Foods, & linking them to the recipes, my favorite so far Cod Kebabs, yummy.
Together with some real good self motivators this book is making me feel really healthy & good about myself. I am certainly not fully conversant about Gi however the book is a very flexible & easy to dip into whenever required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 13 Oct 2006
As someone who has dieted on an off for years, has polycystic ovaries (which can lead to type 2 diabetes) and high blood pressure, I read in a magazine about the GI diet and thought I would give it a try. I have been on The GI Plan for 9 weeks and have lost 18lbs with no effort. I am not hungry and enjoy food more and for some reason do not even want alcohol which must be a side effect of the foods eaten. Like some other reviewers, I also thought that the book could have had more basic foods, but the explanation of the science behind the diet is a revelation and together with GI recipie books which can be found on Amazon, this is a great introduction to the GI plan.

ARRAY(0xb61c9a08)

The GI Plan: Lose Weight Forever (Previously published as The Gi Point Diet)
9.99