5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, terrifying and essential reading
Published on 7 July 2007 by Bezerus Bezby

3.0 out of 5 stars Service and price good,book not great.
Book arrived in good time and was cheap.It was described as very good which was not the case.There is a 2inch long puncture on the front which goes through the first 20 pages or so and some pages are loose.There was no damage to the package so must have been sent like that.Maybe I got the wrong book?
Published 8 months ago by l a trueman

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, terrifying and essential reading, 7 July 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: True Stories of Survival From Men, Women and Children Who Were There (Paperback)
There is little that I can add that other reviewers have not already said. It is not possible to understand what drove the Nazis to do such terrible things, but this book gives those who suffered at their hands a voice. It does not make for easy reading. It made me cry more then once and I did feel a lasting impact from it. It is crucial to learn about the holocaust, however, since with the world being as it is, it is not unfesible that history will repeat itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lest We Forget, 25 Oct 2005
HWW (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
A book that needs reading however distressing it maybe. Not a topic that everyone immediately finds appealing but very interesting none the less. Firsthand accounts of pre, mid and post holocaust from everyday people who lived during some of the most horrific times of the 20th century. A well collaborated and historically useful book especially as time passes We are rapidly losing the generations who can recount what happened during the holocaust, and this terrible episode in history should never be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 24 Mar 2010
If everyone was made to read only one book in their life then this should be the one. In the preface the reader is warned that this is not a pleasant book to read and of course it was never going to be. The first hand accounts by people, most of whom were incarcerated in concentration and death camps tell the true story of what the holocaust was about. There are details of how peoples lives were effected before and after the war and how they increasingly suffer up to the present day. This is a very well written account of the Holocaust and having read it, how anyone can ever deny that it ever happened is beyond me. I shall treasure this book and no doubt use it in the coming years in my furtherence of Holocaust studies. I will always recommend it to anyone who wants to know about the Final Solution and how millions of innocent people were so shamefully treated and sent to their deaths. May the Nazi'z rot in hell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mans Inhumanity to Man, 21 Jun 2008
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book has had such an effect on me. It is sad, harrowing, horrifying, and, worst of all, TRUE!! I just can't begin to imagine how it must have been for these poor people, who were persecuted, degraded, humiliated and executed and all by other 'human' beings. We like to think of ourselves as so clever, so superior, and that we are good people. Not so. Although we know some of what happened in these concentration camps, and we know how the Jews and other ethnic minorities sufferred, we like to sweep it under the carpet. It's in the past. It's history. It's over. Well, it may be in the past, but it will never be over. It is an indelible stain on the face of humanity, and how anyone can try to deny it ever happened is beyond me. Read these eye-witness accounts of what happened. There is no way that these atrocities can ever be denied. I just find it utterly incomprehensible that anyone survived the holocaust, let alone went on to lead their lives, marry, have children. How they managed to triumph over such adversity defies belief. Their spirit and will to live was incredible. It's not like this happened centuries ago. It was 12 years before I was born. When I look at it like that, it is so scary that these things could happen in our 'enlightened' society. And for what? What was the reason for these appalling acts on these victims? It makes me angry, and very, very sad. We must never, ever forget what happened to these people, and how they sufferred. Their voices must never be stilled. When they are all gone, this book and others like it must be read by all, so that nothing is lost. Prejudice and hatred still exist in the world, and acts of extreme violence are committed daily somewhere, but we must never accept this as the norm. No person has the right, and should never have the power, to decide the fate of others. No person should be able to take everything that is human, decent, kind, away from others, and no one should EVER cause human sufferring to others, as was caused in the holocaust. I am ashamed to admit that I never really gave much thought to the World Wars, and I knew practically nothing about the scale of the sufferring. Now, I do know. I will never forget that all those involved gave everything, and paid a terrible price. I firmly believe that this book should be on the national curriculum so that each and every one of us knows what happened, and so that we can learn, and ensure that it never happens again. I just feel so humble reading this book, and so grateful for all the things that I have and take for granted. I just can't believe that these things happened, that the world knew, and it was allowed to continue. I feel ashamed, and so very sorry. Not an enjoyable read, but a necessary one, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never to Happen Again, 14 Dec 2011
A heart-rending series of accounts showing man's inhumanity to man. The fact that they are first-person experiences explodes the hypothesis of the Holocaust deniers. Well researched. Tastfully edited with powerful graphics. May man's intolerance never lead him to do the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, but you know it happened, 21 July 2011
J. Duffy (Scotland) - See all my reviews
So much has already been said about how harrowing this book is and how terrible the atrocities were which befell the Jews and other groups targeted by the Nazis. Rather than repeat what's already been covered I'll try to keep this review to the format of the book itself and what you can expect.

The book is split chronologically into chapters which cover the persecution of the Jews before the war, during it, and also their plight in the aftermath of the war. Each chapter includes dozens of short (just a few paragraphs) testimonies from named individuals who tell in their own words the horror of what they experienced. The pre-war stuff provides good contrast for what came later. After the Third Reich came to power it started gradually, for example, with Jewish children being told they could no longer take part in this or that after-school club simply because they were Jews. You know it gets worse. Much worse.

The book covers the search for refuge before the war began; the rapid increase in persecution with the expansion of the Reich; life in the Ghettos; the Camps; the Death Marches; and finally Liberation and its Aftermath.

It covers just about every type of cruel, degrading and brutal treatment you can imagine.

Also included is a map of Europe showing the locations of the main camps and dozens of photos mostly from the archives of the Imperial War Museum.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if heartrending, 5 Sep 2008
Much of what I wish to say has already been said but I just wanted to add my rating and say that this is an excellent book that manages to give an excellent view of the holocaust from start to finish. I found the final sections particularly moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Forget., 1 Nov 2005
By A Customer
As a history graduate, I feel it is of extreme importance that we never forget the atrocities of the Holocaust. This book provides the reader with unique primary sources from those who survived, detailing the day to day life of Jews, Gypsy's, Jehovah's Witnesses and all the others who were persecuted.One of the most valuable aspects of the book is that it provides survivors analyses of the Holocaust, how they felt in the immediate aftermath and also how this atrocity has affected their lives and how it still does.To not be moved by these accounts would not be human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, 21 Jun 2008
Another good book from the Imperial War Museum. Easy to pick up due to the way the book is structured. Moving accounts from Holocaust survivors on there experiences in various concentration camps. Schindlers List & The Pianist prompted me to buy this book and while I cannot say that I enjoyed it, I can say that I am glad that I have read it. I cannot beleive that at my age (40) I knew so little on what went on during that era.

A must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars holocaust, 23 Nov 2010
there is no more i can add that other reviews have covered.
this is not an easy book to read !!!! what i cannot comprehend is how the nazis could carry out such atrocities !!!
this is a book that must be read so people can understand what the jewish people in europe went through at the hands of the nazis.
such a thing must never happen again !!!!
it took me quite a few days to read the book completely, i had stop and put it down and then come back to carry on reading a few hours later.
what i read totally stunned and shocked me, the way they were treated as a sub human race, humiliated, beaten ,tortured and exterminated.
a must read book to learn more about the holocaust !!!