5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, terrifying and essential reading
Published on 7 July 2007 by Bezerus Bezby

3.0 out of 5 stars important to keep reading because its each survivors testiment and ...
important to keep reading because its each survivors testiment and we should listen and respect and learn from it so it never happens again. are you listening israel?
Published 18 days ago by bigpawsmaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, terrifying and essential reading, 7 July 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: True Stories of Survival From Men, Women and Children Who Were There (Paperback)
There is little that I can add that other reviewers have not already said. It is not possible to understand what drove the Nazis to do such terrible things, but this book gives those who suffered at their hands a voice. It does not make for easy reading. It made me cry more then once and I did feel a lasting impact from it. It is crucial to learn about the holocaust, however, since with the world being as it is, it is not unfesible that history will repeat itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lest We Forget, 25 Oct 2005
HWW (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
A book that needs reading however distressing it maybe. Not a topic that everyone immediately finds appealing but very interesting none the less. Firsthand accounts of pre, mid and post holocaust from everyday people who lived during some of the most horrific times of the 20th century. A well collaborated and historically useful book especially as time passes We are rapidly losing the generations who can recount what happened during the holocaust, and this terrible episode in history should never be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 24 Mar 2010
If everyone was made to read only one book in their life then this should be the one. In the preface the reader is warned that this is not a pleasant book to read and of course it was never going to be. The first hand accounts by people, most of whom were incarcerated in concentration and death camps tell the true story of what the holocaust was about. There are details of how peoples lives were effected before and after the war and how they increasingly suffer up to the present day. This is a very well written account of the Holocaust and having read it, how anyone can ever deny that it ever happened is beyond me. I shall treasure this book and no doubt use it in the coming years in my furtherence of Holocaust studies. I will always recommend it to anyone who wants to know about the Final Solution and how millions of innocent people were so shamefully treated and sent to their deaths. May the Nazi'z rot in hell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mans Inhumanity to Man, 21 Jun 2008
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book has had such an effect on me. It is sad, harrowing, horrifying, and, worst of all, TRUE!! I just can't begin to imagine how it must have been for these poor people, who were persecuted, degraded, humiliated and executed and all by other 'human' beings. We like to think of ourselves as so clever, so superior, and that we are good people. Not so. Although we know some of what happened in these concentration camps, and we know how the Jews and other ethnic minorities sufferred, we like to sweep it under the carpet. It's in the past. It's history. It's over. Well, it may be in the past, but it will never be over. It is an indelible stain on the face of humanity, and how anyone can try to deny it ever happened is beyond me. Read these eye-witness accounts of what happened. There is no way that these atrocities can ever be denied. I just find it utterly incomprehensible that anyone survived the holocaust, let alone went on to lead their lives, marry, have children. How they managed to triumph over such adversity defies belief. Their spirit and will to live was incredible. It's not like this happened centuries ago. It was 12 years before I was born. When I look at it like that, it is so scary that these things could happen in our 'enlightened' society. And for what? What was the reason for these appalling acts on these victims? It makes me angry, and very, very sad. We must never, ever forget what happened to these people, and how they sufferred. Their voices must never be stilled. When they are all gone, this book and others like it must be read by all, so that nothing is lost. Prejudice and hatred still exist in the world, and acts of extreme violence are committed daily somewhere, but we must never accept this as the norm. No person has the right, and should never have the power, to decide the fate of others. No person should be able to take everything that is human, decent, kind, away from others, and no one should EVER cause human sufferring to others, as was caused in the holocaust. I am ashamed to admit that I never really gave much thought to the World Wars, and I knew practically nothing about the scale of the sufferring. Now, I do know. I will never forget that all those involved gave everything, and paid a terrible price. I firmly believe that this book should be on the national curriculum so that each and every one of us knows what happened, and so that we can learn, and ensure that it never happens again. I just feel so humble reading this book, and so grateful for all the things that I have and take for granted. I just can't believe that these things happened, that the world knew, and it was allowed to continue. I feel ashamed, and so very sorry. Not an enjoyable read, but a necessary one, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never to Happen Again, 14 Dec 2011
A heart-rending series of accounts showing man's inhumanity to man. The fact that they are first-person experiences explodes the hypothesis of the Holocaust deniers. Well researched. Tastfully edited with powerful graphics. May man's intolerance never lead him to do the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, but you know it happened, 21 July 2011
J. Duffy (Scotland) - See all my reviews
So much has already been said about how harrowing this book is and how terrible the atrocities were which befell the Jews and other groups targeted by the Nazis. Rather than repeat what's already been covered I'll try to keep this review to the format of the book itself and what you can expect.

The book is split chronologically into chapters which cover the persecution of the Jews before the war, during it, and also their plight in the aftermath of the war. Each chapter includes dozens of short (just a few paragraphs) testimonies from named individuals who tell in their own words the horror of what they experienced. The pre-war stuff provides good contrast for what came later. After the Third Reich came to power it started gradually, for example, with Jewish children being told they could no longer take part in this or that after-school club simply because they were Jews. You know it gets worse. Much worse.

The book covers the search for refuge before the war began; the rapid increase in persecution with the expansion of the Reich; life in the Ghettos; the Camps; the Death Marches; and finally Liberation and its Aftermath.

It covers just about every type of cruel, degrading and brutal treatment you can imagine.

Also included is a map of Europe showing the locations of the main camps and dozens of photos mostly from the archives of the Imperial War Museum.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Forget., 1 Nov 2005
By A Customer
As a history graduate, I feel it is of extreme importance that we never forget the atrocities of the Holocaust. This book provides the reader with unique primary sources from those who survived, detailing the day to day life of Jews, Gypsy's, Jehovah's Witnesses and all the others who were persecuted.One of the most valuable aspects of the book is that it provides survivors analyses of the Holocaust, how they felt in the immediate aftermath and also how this atrocity has affected their lives and how it still does.To not be moved by these accounts would not be human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if heartrending, 5 Sep 2008
Much of what I wish to say has already been said but I just wanted to add my rating and say that this is an excellent book that manages to give an excellent view of the holocaust from start to finish. I found the final sections particularly moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, 21 Jun 2008
Another good book from the Imperial War Museum. Easy to pick up due to the way the book is structured. Moving accounts from Holocaust survivors on there experiences in various concentration camps. Schindlers List & The Pianist prompted me to buy this book and while I cannot say that I enjoyed it, I can say that I am glad that I have read it. I cannot beleive that at my age (40) I knew so little on what went on during that era.

A must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is meant to shock you, 7 Mar 2007
A Passer By "Book Lover" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Lyn Smith has been recording the experiences of the Holocaust survivors for the Imperial War Museum Sound Archive for the last 25 years. Through the voices and memories of 100 contributors I could now sketch a drawing in my head which helped me to imagine at least a small part of what had happened in Europe since the Nazi regime took over the rule and how it changed the world until now-a-days.

The book is the collection of many people's, who survived the Holocaust, memories. Although a huge majority of them where Jews of different nationalities, starting with Central and Eastern Europeans and ending up with Romanians and Greeks, Nazis also killed a great number of Communists, Poles, Jehovah's Witnesses, homosexuals, people with disabilities, Soviet Prisoners of war and Gipsies.

The book starts with the pre-war memories of the contributors. Most of them are happy and very joyful memories of calm and cosy childhoods (as most of them were children at the time) whether it would be in Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary or Poland. The Jews in the Western Europe never felt anti-Semitism in their societies, whist the ones living in the Eastern Europe like Poland, felt it more. Many of the Jew survivors in the book stated they actually have never been very Jewish and they didn't practice their religion either, they identified themselves with their nationalities rather than their religion.

However after the Nazi regime took over the rule in Germany in 1933, the Jew persecution started. The Jews were forced to wear a David star on their shoulders, the Jews abusing propaganda was distributed through the media, the society was asked not to communicate with Jews, they were not accepted to schools and universities, their businesses were destroyed, their wealth was taken away and there were ghettos created. A bit later the Nazis started taking Jews to the "east" which meant some sort of concentration or work camps.

The book is not exactly about the dates, numbers and what Nazis did. It is more about the human psychology and emotions and the way people's heads and hearts work in the situations which no one has ever imagined would ever happen. The Jews' and other groups' persecution during the WW2 has been the most horrible thing that has happened in the human history that I've came to know about. Over six million people has been killed and some state that the numbers are a lot higher as the Nazis has been trying to destroy as much killing evidence as possible. The survivors in their memories narrate everything in detail about what happened, how they felt and what horror they experienced. The reader can know about how Nazi soldiers treated prisoners and what was the life like in camps. I also got to know about the thing called "Holocaust denial" which means that many people think it actually didn't happen and don't believe it happened. The thing what shocked me most in the book was WHY did Nazis did that, what would cause such a strong believe and motivation to do what they did? I can't believe that any of them really believed in what they were doing. Many call it inhuman but since the moment humans did that, and almost all of the society played their bigger or lesser part in it, I started comprehending it as completely human.

The war is over but anti-Semitism is not. The camp survivors, after they returned into the society after the war was finished, couldn't adapt so easily. They were not accepted by the society and after going so intensively through the cruel Nazi programme of dehumanization, they had the feelings of guiltiness of being "different" and of being "Jews". Many of those people didn't have home to return to and they had no roots and no relatives to come back to. Only being between the ones of the same destiny they could find the complete understanding because no living human on earth who has not been there could ever even imagine what they have gone through. However, the survivors' life was going further but their sleep never seemed to be calm again.

I would really recommend this book to everyone, because it's a book about people and if it were not Jews, it could have been some other group. I think that no one should ever forget Holocaust and other horrible things that humans have done to themselves. Also, it is hard to believe but survived only those who decided to survive and only the strength of spirit has kept those people alive. Some people even joked in the camps and children adapted a lot easier than adults. This book is wonderful also in demonstrating the inner strength of a human being.