5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from Mr. Wallace!
I have to say that I'm surprised that some people struggled to get through this book as I found it un-put-downable(!) and read it in well under 48 hours. However, I found it did make me produce involuntary sounds akin to that of a squealing Pig at some very inopportune moments (on public transport etc.) and so I strongly advise you enjoy this books' more hilarious moments...
Published on 21 Jan 2009 by The G Man

3.0 out of 5 stars In which Danny Wallace's good bloke schtick starts to wear a little thin
I liked this book. I did, really. Danny Wallace is an engaging enough writer and his tale of finding his childhood address book and tracking down the 12 people in it (not including the Michael Jackson fan club, though that features too) is often amusing and sometimes touching. But....

The trouble is, after the wonderfully life-affimring 'Yes Man' and the...
Published on 10 Feb 2010 by A. Warmington

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Danny Wallace, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
I went into this book thinking I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I had 'Are you Dave Gorman?' and 'Join Me', thinking that as the mad cap adventure this time seemed less structured it wouldn't be as much of a page turner. I was both wrong and right, I love this book because unlike his others I've read because of the lack of a defined bet-like parameter, (for example meeting 52 people called Dave Gorman), you get much more of a glimpse into his personality. This leads to a really warm tone and much more of a deeper meaning to the book over all.

If you like either Dave Gorman, Danny Wallace or both get this book. If your a fan of mad-cap adventures with lovely if a little odd characters get this book.
If your worried about growing up get this book.

Everyone else just read it you'll probably like it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't reach 30 without it!, 28 Oct 2009
P. L. Seago - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
For all those who approach 30 with thoughts of 'when did I grow up?' and 'does this mean I need to have cushions on my sofa that serve no apparent purpose?', this book is an essential read. Easy to read and laugh out loud funny - the sort of book you carry from room to room because you have to keep reading it even though you need to be doing other things! An ideal gift for someones 30th birthday, it is also great for any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Oct 2009
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
Couldn't suggest buying this book more. I loved all of his previous works, but this one is by far the funniest and most touching of them all. You simply will not be able to put this book down.

Simply brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd Like a Friend Like This, 3 Aug 2008
L. J. Williams (Derbyshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
You cannot fault the unfailing optimism that coats the stories told by this guy. They just make you feel that little bit better.

Outrageously positive, thoughtful and very, very, funny, Danny Wallace decides to track down the twelve names he discovers in his old school address book. His journey's take him from Berlin to Loughborough to L.A. and every tale is told with such a lightness of heart that you feel that you are right there with him.

The theme is not disimilar to Wallace's last book, 'Yes Man', but it is a formula that works- he obviously believes that if it aint broke, don't fix it: hilarious anecdotes about hope over varying degrees of adversity will always make for a great read.

This book might not change your life, but it will certainly warm your cockles for at least a little while.

5.0 out of 5 stars a childhood revisited, 13 July 2008
D. T. Brunetti "manmadeofjam" (North London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
Having realised he was becoming a man, Danny had already felt a little lost amongst his new lifestyle. Then he gets a box from his mum, full of old stuff that he kept as a child. Thus opens a new chapter in the Wallace world.

His previous two books (and Are You Dave Gorman? to a lesser extent) showed us that Wallace could have Brilliantly Simple and Simply Brilliant ideas. They were testiment to a positive spirit that knew anything was possible but wasn't too sure what that anything could be. That spirit led him into some very bizarre situations with some really quite odd people, and it led him into a lucrative career on tv. The people he met were in turn very nice, very odd and very funny - and Wallace wrote it in a way only Wallace could: with humour and a deceptively simple seeming wit.

I started FLT with the hope that Wallace hadn't lost his ability to view the world with knowing positivity and childlike blind optimism: After all, it was what made half of Yes Man so funny. But it seemed to start slowly and I wondered whether another of my favourite writers had gone the way of new found fame. One problem seemed that the people he was meeting were quite normal, they lived in normal places and Wallace wasn't travelling cheaply anymore (another delight of early books is that he walked/rode the world we lived in - tubes, buses, etc - he met the weirdos and being Danny, spoke to them blithely).
Next thing was that they seemed to live near him, in english counties..

..But get into it and we find that they're not all in England, not all in IT and thus we start to get the characters and Danny's reactions to them, his naive-seeming observations and comical ways.
This is a little slower than his previous two, but once in it's just as good and easy to see why his friends all had good reactions: there's German Rappers, a Time Traveller, A Fijan Chief, A witch, Ninjas...

..Shane Warne..

At just a few over 400 pages, it seems like a long read but it really isn't, and by the end I found myself wanting to read a daily account of his everyday life with him and his Aussie wife (and Straight talking ex, Hanne). Take it with you on journeys and I think you'll stride into everything with a broad smile and a welcoming hello.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny and Lizzie can you come out and play?, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
Danny Wallace and his amazing wife Lizzie are good friends of mine. Well, no they're not actually, but I know that they would be if I ever met them. Danny writes so openly that I really feel I know him, and that we've got heaps on in jokes to laugh about. This book make me laugh uncontrollably and cry equally so.

Danny undertakes these adventures so we don't have to, but the thing with Danny is that you get inspired to do things to. After "Yes Man" I found myself being really open to new experiences. After "Friends Like These" I really will arrange to meet up with those long lost 4 year old pals...

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out Loud, 7 July 2008
Carole roberts (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
I haven't read a Danny Wallace book before. I hadn't even heard of him until I read a couple of extracts from "Friends Like These" in the paper.

To say it is funny doesn't get near to doing it justice. I commute on the train and it is now embarassing reading it as I am unable to control laughing out loud at the book. I am the same age as Danny, so whether some of his memories ring even more true because of this, I don't know. But his observational humour, hilarious stories and descriptive narrative really make you feel like you are on a journey with him.

Just so very, very funny - I don't see how anyone could fail to find it hilarious

5.0 out of 5 stars Growing Up Is Hard To Do, 2 July 2008
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
I have loved Danny's previous books, as well as his television work so I awaited this with breathe well and truly baited. The book arrived in the trusty amazon packing on Monday and here i sit on a wednesday wishing I hadn't read it so fast, but I couldn't put it down. The eternal story of man's struggle to give up his youth is perfectly illustrated by Danny and his quest proves he is a genius with a pen and a wordsmith, and a very good speller.

Loved this book, and can't recommend it enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly funny, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
I say that because, like a previous reviewer I found myself snorting, and indeed crying with laughter whilst on various modes of transport and in company. It is so heartwarming and I actually couldn't believe the lengths he went to to track down some of his friends. I have picked this up again and again to cheer myself up and remind myself of some of my favourite parts ( the bit with the cyclist and the taxi and when he finds the t-shirt being two of them!) A great holiday read if you want something light but not something mindless or lacking in emotion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reader, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
Again this was recommended by a friend who said it was the best book she'd ever read!
It was a light read that was quite nostalgic, it was inoffensive but a bit more of a boys book. Anyone looking for a light holiday read may enjoy this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Friends Like These
Friends Like These by Danny Wallace (Paperback - 2 July 2009)
6.16