Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 December 2009
I have read a lot of so called property guides, including several 'TV books' and they are usually empty and very disappointing with no content other than a few nice pictures - probably hastily written by a ghost writer. This one is different, if anything it is too big, aimed as much at property developers as it is home improvers, covering everything from design and planning through to the minutiae of property law, tax planning and even build costs in a lot of detail - at 300 or more pages it is like several guides in one.
It covers the key things you need to know about doing up a property or taking on a development project chapter by chapter, from finding a property, assessing its potential, understanding how to add value, how to get your own level of involvement right, how to budget, working with designers and builders, and how to project manage. The building itself is dealt with chapter by chapter too, from repairs, to improvements to adding space, heating, plumbing, wiring, insulation, eco things, listed buildings etc.
If you are looking for a book that will help you get your home improvement or first time development project right, this one is for you. It answered pretty much all my questions.
on 12 May 2011
Really good book... all the information i need for starting property development and in depth about most aspects.

Overall great buy
on 22 March 2010
I picked up this book a few months ago at an exhibition about renovating and building your own home. The author, Michael Holmes, was there and I watched him give a talk about home improvements. He did seem knowledgeable but I've also seen him on TV, presenting Who Owns Britain's Best Home?, so to be honest thought maybe he was just a TV personality putting his name to a book as opposed to a real expert. But anyway, I thought I'd give it a go as I was about to start renovating my post-war semi.
To cut a long story short, I was very impressed with this book. It had a lot of tips beyond the obvious advice I've read in property magazines and online. When you've never renovated before, it's an incredibly daunting experience, and I found this was a real hand-holding guide - but much more besides. It takes you from the stage of complete beginner to expert (I hope!), with lots of advice about how to maximise your investment. It's built up my confidence so much that I was originally just planning to renovate - I'm now adding on an extension!
My only criticism is that it's a little pricey. I paid the full £25 but I wish I'd come on here and gotten it at the reduced price. However, I would say that it was £25 well spent, and will save me 100 times this in the long run! Thank you Mr Holmes!
on 7 November 2013
Very comprehensive guide. Easy to read and understand. It's quite extensive but breaks down into easily digestible chapters. A good reference guide
on 3 July 2014
Great read, well written. Helped me a lot, as I needed to quickly understand all the stages of selling a property, including renovation. It gave me all the information I needed, with little 'fat' - I now feel I have a good grounding in property, and this is from the position of a complete novice. For anyone that wants to read a specific area - i.e. just interiors - the book is separated carefully into chapters, so you can find what you want easily.
on 2 January 2014
Very useful book with great advice. Only negative point is that some of the information is not up to date.
on 2 February 2011
Whether you read this wonderful book from cover to cover - or just dip into it with specific questions - it's clear that you are in the hands of an expert. In our current economic times, this book is a must-read for anyone considering renovation on a small or large scale. It gives a very clear understanding of the renovating process from start to finish - along with the pitfalls to avoid. It will save you a lot of money if you follow Michael Holmes's sound advice!

Paula Robinson Rossouw - author & Sunday Telegraph columnist
on 8 October 2012
If you are considering going into property development or renovating a house for the first time,please get this book. It covers everything and I mean everything-from choosing the right property, buying at the right price, marketing your property, finance and tax, etc. It should be called "Property Bible" instead of Renovating for Profit. This book has helped me to avoid the pitfalls. Buy this book and I guarantee you wont have any regrets.
on 17 December 2015
we bought it because we want to renovate a house we are in the process of buying. Good ideas and well explained by someone who clearly has done this a few times. We are less interested in the profit angle but obviously dont want to overspend on the renovations and then take a long time for the house value to catch up. Good book. We were fortunate to see Michael at a recent homebuilding show in Somerset and his presentation was interesting, relevant and very well attended.
on 28 March 2011
Anyone who has seen Michael talking at one of the Homebuilding & Renovating shows will already know that he knows his onions. It's hard to get him off the stage after his allotted time because he seems to have so much information he wants to impart that there is never enough time. I always thought he had a good long book in him and now here it is, just exactly what you would hope him to do.

He writes well and the book is a very easy read, but it's also very detailed and accurate and anyone wanting to do up property in Britain would be well advised to snaffle up a copy. It's the sort of book that could save you a small fortune.