4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant advice for fathers of growing boys .. read it now!
Published on 27 Jun 2000

I was recommended this book by my wife who had read it to understand her dad. I instantly related to the opening chapters, realising that my insecurities are shared by men the world over.

Published on 3 Jun 2012 by Fuzzyfelt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant advice for fathers of growing boys .. read it now!, 27 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Steve Biddulph's very accesible writing paints a disturbing picture of the consequence for growing boys of fathers who are remote and preoccupied with work. Searching for a role model, they latch on to whatever the media provides, pop stars, footballers etc etc .. but note, all idealised, two dimensional figures with little or no emotional life. Suicides among our teenage boys is at startlingly high levels.
With of a style that echoes journalism rather than academic rigour, I can forgive Steve Biddulph's generalisations because of the importance of the message he gives. Its a wake up call for all fathers .. but more than that it offers practical advice too.
If you're worried about losing touch with your son, read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An action plan for the future, 30 Dec 2003
This review is from: Manhood (Paperback)
The mens movement has received some bad press in the last few years. In this inspiring book, Steve Biddulph shows how vital and relevant the movement is to the future of all men, and to the future of the planet as a whole.
Biddulph lays out a clear path for men to follow that will lead them to greater understanding of themselves and their journey through life. In 'Seven Steps to Manhood', he offers a blueprint for improvement: Fixing it with your father, Meeting your partner on equal terms, Engaging actively with your kids, and so on. He then goes in to more detail on each idea, one chapter at a time.
The chapters are flushed out with real life stories, quotes from mens groups, myths and legends, humour and tragedy. He quickly establishes that he is not anti-feminist, rather that feminism on its own is not enough. You cannot liberate half of human beings. Most women, he argues, welcome a mens movement because women like the saner, happier and more involved men that it produces.
His main argument rests on the fact that boys in modern industrial society hardly see their dads. Boys are brought up at home by their mothers, or at kindergarten and primary school by women. Even well-meaning fathers often play only minor roles in the young man's life. As a result, boys grow up with few good role models and little strong male guidance. They base their image of men on Hollywood heroes and pop icons, with disastrous results. Boys need proper fathering and male mentoring, and this needs to continue as they move into life, work and fathering of their own.
If you're a man between the ages of 18 and 80, this book may well give you some perspective on the challenges you face in life, and some of the places to find help when life becomes difficult. And women will probably find it intersting, too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking but not for the godless or those seeking answers, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Manhood (Paperback)

As I got further into the book, a feeling of disappointment grew as I realised that the book had a subtle agenda where it's the author's way or the highway. This started in "Sex and Spirit" chapter where Steve describes what sex should feel like, how I should connect with it and what it should mean to me. I'm very happy with how I feel about sex but it's nothing like the author's view.
Then in "The Wild Spirit Of Man", Steve Biddulph lets his prejudices slip: "And the most potent and effective men and women from Nelson Mandela to the Dalai Lama to Aung San Suu Kyi - are those with religious underpinning to their life." Ok, this is probably true and a statistical likelihood. Steve goes on to declare that "In a sense, any spiritual path will do. Not to have some kind of spiritual practice is one's life, however, is a serious mistake".
As an atheist, I found it very difficult to digest this sweeping generalisation but I began to understand Steve's spiritual, perhaps Christian, viewpoint and how it may affect his worldview.

The book did give me some good points to think about and I agree whole heartedly with the author's views on boy's education. However, the advice is almost non-existent and left me in no better position other than knowing I'm not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, understanding, liberating., 17 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I came to this book via another of Steve Biddulph's books, RAISING BOYS, which is wonderfully insightful and directly helpful. MANHOOD is similarly practical in its advice and understanding of problems that men don't talk about. Written in a direct style - no obscurantist academedician or mystic New Age talk here - this book has opened my eyes to things I should have liked to have understood half a century ago when it would have helped me see the good in my own father and the difficulties he coped with. It's a bit late now for that but I hope it'll help me, and them, in sharing life experiences with my own three sons - and the women in their lives. To use that well-worn expression, I cannot recommend MANHOOD too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this!, 16 July 2000
By A Customer
This book highlights the extent to which men have been conditioned to pretend and mask their emotions. Although slightly New Agey, I cannot recommend it enough to men AND women. I feel that I understand men 100% more and this can only be a good thing. They respond to a warm and caring approach and need to feel that crying is a perfectly natural and liberating experience for any human being. Another important message that came across is that today's boys are horrendously underfathered and need to spend time with good male role models in order to enjoy a fulfilling life and develop into healthy men.
Other topics include the treadmill of work (burn your tie!), relating to women and the need to make peace with your father.
Essential reading if you want to understand the male psyche and improve yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Manhood review, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Manhood (Paperback)
A very interesting read that left me with many positive feelings but also some negatives. It does drill home that you are in control of your relationships and can make things happen. It has inspired me to read more on psychology

5.0 out of 5 stars Manhood, 22 Mar 2005
This review is from: Manhood (Paperback)
I bought this book for my husband and he made me buy 5 more copies to give to his friends and our son. The cover is naff and doesn't suggest its content. It's really about how a man can be a man in todays mad world and get back to what really matters. Its easy to read and life changing stuff. I'm recommending it because I now have a 'new man' who is much happier and is able to love and support me in a way I could only have dreamt of in the past. Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for any man who wants to understand the missing links, 14 April 1999
By A Customer
I can quite honestly say that this book has changed my life. A big, perhaps cliched remark, yet for the first time I have been able to be honest about what has been missing in my life for many years. Steve Biddulph writes in a way unusual for men: with warmth, openess and honesty, delving into issues deemed 'forbidden' for male discussion. This book has taught me how to cry and grieve, beginning a natural healing process that I have always denied. I wish I could give every man on the planet a copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book for any man (or woman!), 21 May 2009
Rev. J. P. Webb (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhood (Paperback)
I read this book 10 years ago and just read it again. The context hasn't changed, if anything the situation for many men has not improved at all. I have don't quite a lot of searching to find an appropriate group near where I live in the UK and it looks like I will have to start one. Come on guys!

4.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Manhood (Paperback)
I bought this because I heard some quotations from it. It's simple but compelling. We seem to have lost sight of some fundamentals in our Society; I think that reading this will help us to regain them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Manhood
Manhood by Steve Biddulph (Paperback - 6 May 2004)