5.0 out of 5 stars An innovative, clearly-explained, way of losing weight
Having seen a report about this diet on TV a few days before, I received my copy on 14 June 2003 and began the diet the next day - after having read the first 140 pages or so. It seemed strange at first, but all his arguments were clearly laid out and he covered almost all the worries I had about starting a diet which seemed to go against everything I had ever heard or...
Published on 22 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you check your health as well as your weight!
I started on the diet and initially lost about 11lbs, in the first couple of weeks. The food tasted great, I had more energy, and I no longer had cravings during the day for chocolate, biscuits etc. I had finally managed to gain control over my appetite.
However, my weight reached a plateau after the first few weeks and seemed to stay there, even after about 6...
Published on 15 Aug 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 366 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I was on of the sceptics but..........................., 25 Mar 2006
This review is from: Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution: The No-hunger, Luxurious Weight Loss Plan That Really Works! (Paperback)
I have to confess something. A friend of mine was raving about the Atkins diet and she has lost a lot of weight. It didn't make HEALTHY sense to me. About five years ago I went through an addiction to working out and I was able to lose A LOT of weight, maybe the fact that I was in the gym everyday caused me to eat less as well. However, I noticed the weight creeping on again and no matter how hard I tried to lose the 12lbs that I gained I could not shift it. Low calorie diets failed because I was always hungry and all the other ones seemed so complicated with the points and grams etc etc .
So................................
I decided to buy the Atkins book. I have finished my 14 day induction today and have just weighed myself. I have lost 7lbs in 14 days. Admittedly I know a lot of it is water but what a motivator to keep me going. The best thing about the Atkins is there is NO HUNGER, NONE, NO STOMACH CRAMPS, NO DIZZY SPELLS, NO CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET, NO THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND AND RUNNING OUT TO BUY A CHOCOLATE BAR.
I have to seriously consider incorporating this into my lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everybody, but one of the few diets that works!, 10 Sep 2003
King kong (Island somewhere in the Atlantic) - See all my reviews
I started the Atkins' Diet in Feb 2001 and by July lost 4.5 stone. Over the next two odd years I kept that off and lost another half a stone. I'm within about 4 pounds of my ideal weight and remain a religious advocate of the diet. Some advice for those of you thinking of trying it. 1) Notwithstanding all the current discussion of the risks of Atkins, none of the downsides of the diet compare to the risks of obesity. It is a great way to get the weight off and allow you to get in the gym. Once the weight is off you have the luxory of deciding if its the right long term diet for you. 2) Most people opposed to the diet look at the 'induction period' and assume Atkins advocates that as a long term diet. He doesn't. Fairly quickly, after about 8 weeks, I was eating most veggies (except starchy ones) and most salads. 3) Having said this, I strongly recommend that before you start the diet you get a good physical and blood work. check out all your vitals and then do so regularly while on diet. If you're like me, you'll find that the your tests improve, but either way it helps to know where you stand. Also, it helps you answer the critics -- if you know your blood work is fine, you can tell them. If its not fine, stop the diet, it probably isn't for you. I go to a nutritionist regulary to check how i'm doing and definitely take supplements -- one a day vitamins, etc.. 4) Combine the diet with exercise, exercise, exercise. The greatest joy for me was to get enough weight off to feel okay going to the gym. The diet alone is not the road to fitness and you do need to get off your a** and exercise. 5) get the cookbooks -- it is true that the diet can get old, but there are great recipes. A couple great tricks -- eat the tops of pizzas, strawberries and whipped cream is a great desert, get an ice cream maker and make ice creams with diet sugar, etc... There are lots of ways to add varieties. 6) Finally, this isn't for everybody. For example, my wife tried and hated it. The main downsides are: a) its not great for your digestive track and you have to get used to a bit of turmoil, b) its a real ban on bread -- I didn't care, but some people die without a slice of bread or some pasta, c) you have to like meat and cheese -- no two ways around it. I tended to stop red meat pretty quickly and shifted to a whole variety of different cheeses because it does get old, and d) if you really love your wine and beer its not for you. Ironically, spirits are carb free, so you can have unlimited amounts of vodka and slim line tonic. Good luck to those who try -- as I said, lose the weight and then have the luxory to decide if its the right diet for maintenance. Until the weight is off, however, I find endless discussions about risk to be pretty pointless .. fat and no exercise are far bigger risks for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars You do lose the weight but please be careful, 7 Feb 2003
By A Customer
I started this diet along with a number of colleagues. I lost three pounds overnight but felt absolutely dreadful, very tired, irritable, I atually got physically sick at one stage, continued to feel lousy for the next week but I had lost 8 pounds. I should mention at this stage that I work in a medical centre and that Dr Atkins actually supplies ketone sticks to check your urine when you buy his whole kit. You do this to check that your body is in ketosis, ie burning fat. However because I borrowed the kit off a friend there were no ketone sticks left. So I just used the urine sticks that the doctors use in their practice to test urines samples for ketones, blood, sugar as well as other things. To my dismay I discovered that almost as soon as I started the diet, I not only had a large amount of ketones in my urine I also had large amounds of blood. After consulting with the doctors in my practise, they explained that because I was consuming so much protein, my kidneys were working overtime to accomodate for this. They said not to worry too much and that it would probably stabilise after a few days. This however was not the case, two weeks later I still had large amounts of blood in my urine, I still felt lousy and had now developed back pain. Under medical advise I started reintroducing carbs to my diet as it was felt that I could possibly damage my kidneys. This scared the life out of me and literally as soon as I ate an apple, the blood in my urine disappered. The thing that worries me is that there are god knows how many people out there on this diet totally oblivious to the fact that they may be damaging their kidneys. In his videos, books, etc Dr. Atkins at no stage makes any reference to this. I feel I was lucky. I am now eating lots of protein, but also any fruit or veg I like. I am not eating bread, pasta or potatoes I have not gained any of the weight that I lost and while I believe in the principles of the diet I do feel there are hidden dangers.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works beautifully, 25 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I lost 24 lb in 2 months. I have enjoyed all kinds of food and discovered a whole new world of nutrition and foods out there.
I feel I need to correct certain misconceptions about this nutritional approach(the biggest mistake made by Dr.Atkins was to call it a diet for that is exactly what it is not. On the Atkins website it is no longer referred to as a diet).
Every single criticism stems from "not reading" the book accurately. People the adduce untruths to the Atkins approach which are not part of the Atkins approach
1) This is not a "no carbs diet" it is a low carbs approach. The lowest carbohydrate intake only lasts for the period of the induction which for most people is for two weeks so you do not run the risk of too much protein and fat without carbs. There is also a lot of fibre intake all of which adds up to a very nutritious daily diet. You will be limiting yourself only to carbs that are good for you. Carbs in sugar, white bread, Macdonald's and other fast foods are not good for you anyway so you will eat lots of vegetables and salads in the induction period. They are very nutritious and better for you.
2)It is not a diet where you lose some weight and go back to doing what you did to put on weight and expect Dr. Atkins to take the blame if you put weight back on. It must become your lifestyle.
3)It is very easy to do but nothing in life comes without discipline - yes I miss eating all the rubbish that caused me to put on weight but I like my new physic a heck of a lot more(so does my wife bless her). Every single person I have seen fail on this approach has been ill disciplined. I am not saying that if it does not work for you then it is due to indiscipline I am simply saying those I have seen who did not see it through were all indisciplined. My niece would always eat a large fried chip and say oh its only one, oh only on Big Mac there... well...even then she managed to lose a stone in a few weeks.
4)For those who advocate exercise as the only way - not everyone has the time, financial resources nor opportunity to join a gym. I defy anyone to lose as much weight by pure exercise(OK and low fat diet) in 4 weeks as the amount of weight you will lose on the Atkins approach in the same period.
5)I have read other books by other authors who advocate low carb intake and there is a lot to learn from and add to your Atkins knowledge, but the master is Dr Atkins and it is his approach I always make the benchmark. There is a lot of professional jealousy out there and I can see that from some of the books I have read.
6)Regarding bad breath- it only lasts for the induction period and that is because you are not eating sweets and gum which would have freshened your breath. Even if you are not on Atkins you'd probably have some bad breath if you did not freshen your breath anyway.
This approach is very very safe and healthy. I know that some tightening I used to get in my heart have now stopped. I had resigned myself to having a heart attack at some stage in my life in the not too distant future but now my heart feels very good. It may be my imaginings but hey....
Good luck and enjoy the wonderful foods out there. Search for them you'll find them.
Again please read the book thoroughly before embarking on a new lifestyle. It works like a dream(for most).

5.0 out of 5 stars How to change your shape and your life with ease! no joke!, 6 April 2003
T. Hirst "THH" (London) - See all my reviews
This diet is excellent if you are a meat eater through and through. You eat until you are hungry at either 3 or 5 sittings a day, from a massive selection of gorgeous foods (for example -fry ups for breakfast, greek salad for lunch,cheeseburgers/steaks for dinner)Eating things you really want to eat !! I've so far lost 17lbs in five weeks!!!The book is easy to follow,and after the first two week induction phase you can go back to low carb alcohol-any white wine!. From someone who has done weight watchers/slimfast and the cabbage soup diet, this is the best!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have always failed at other diets - try this one...!, 21 Nov 2001
After seeing the book advertised initially i thought it was a huge pile of hype and not to be trusted, i mean we are supposed to eat low fat and lean meat right?
Well i need to lose 7-8 stone and am in my second week - ok it's early days but losing 12lb in the first week is the biggest morale boost i've ever had! Also the food you can eat is fantstic and seemingly never-ending!
If like me, you have dieted more or less your entire life and suffered at the expensive hands of famous diet clubs then i suggest you try this, even if for two weeks - what have you got to lose?
Admittedly it isn't for everyone, as you read the other reviews you'll see people who have not got on well with the programme at all, others have enjoyed it.
The only advice i would give is to vary your meals, i'm going to be a queen of 'how to make salads interesting' and so far i'm not bored. Also its not a 'never again' approach to pasta and bread etc but when you're at your goal you can introduce them again very VERY slowly.
BUT one thing that DID surprise me is that as a confirmed chocoholic, i have not eaten nor felt the urge to eat chocolate for nearly two weeks (not alot granted, but when every day was a struggle not to buy 'just one' bar its quite a revelation for me) the craving has completely gone and my tummy is full! Heaven!
Also my hubbie and i both went out for a meal in which we were really looking forward to having a taste of chips and they were not as appealing as we thought, it just goes to show that your body can deal with a different diet.
It's just dependent on how much YOU want to do it!
On a final note, my time on Atkins is almost two weeks - i'm a wee virgin - whereas my friend has been on it since May and has so far lost a whopping 8 stone!
If you're in doubt, look up the websites on low carb diets and it'll make you think 'where have i been?' am i always the last to know???
good luck.....!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit difficult to follow, 7 April 2003
The first thing I'm going to say is, yes I have lost weight following the Atkins Diet - it does work. However I found the book a little difficult to follow. It is good at explaining how the body works, and how it burns food. If you are looking to learn about low-carb diets and how they work it is a good book. If you are looking to see how to do the diet long-term and live low-carb you will get there but will have to read it over a few times. If you are not aware of the claims of low-carb diets, it is to "turn your body into a fat burning machine"! In the celebrity world carbs are the new fat - as little as possible to pass through your lips. Is it true that fat is now good and low-calorie is bad - Dr. Atkins is very good at explaining why he, and so many celebrities (Robbie Williams, the cast of Friends, Geri Halliwell, Al Gore, et al) believe this is so.
The science behind it is that carbohydrates are the food group that give you energy but that which is not stored as energy is stored as body fat. The body stores the fat so thatit can burn it off when you need more energy but the fat deposits are also in case the body needs to burn it in times of famine. By reducing your carbohydrate intake, you reduce the "left-overs" to be stored as fat. Reduce your carbs enough and your body begins to burn its own fat stores for energy.
Ok so now you've got to grips with the science, how can you put a low-carb diet in to action safely and without causing any risk to your body? This I can't easily explain; it is there in the book but I found I had to read it over and over to make sure I unsderstood it properly. Personally I found this a bit complicated and wish it had been put in more simpler terms, and worded differently to make it easier to understand. The diet itself has had many negative reviews saying that although the diet does work it is bad for the body. But the book is not saying that all carbs should be cut out, they are just limited. The book does also explain that there are good carbs and bad carbs, if you feel you have to cheat it is better to do so with a good carb ie. a piece of fruit, than a bad carb or food overly loaded with carbs. By reducing the amount of carb intake, your body effectively goes into a state of shock called Ketosis, which means you are not consuming enough carbohydrates to provide you with energy so your body burns your own fat for energy. The book also goes on to explain how to increase your carb intake slowly and how to calculate the maximum daily intake of carbs where you won't put on any weight - this is the bit that takes reading over a few times.
Laden with success stories and how good this diet regime is for you, plus the fact that food previously out of bounds probably is now part of your low-carb staple diet the attraction of the diet and purchasing this book is great. It is a good book to have, but once you have got into it, and you remember roughly which foods have high and low carbs, it will be collecting dust on your shelf - as will the diet when you have lost your weight, only to perhaps return to the 2 week induction when you feel you've put on a few pounds. There's only so much reading of the book and carb-free food a person can take!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very informative book on a "new" diet, 14 April 2002
By A Customer
This book is certainly written with a great deal of conviction and is indeed very informative.
You get the feeling that you are being given information that scientists and the medical profession have either chosen to ignore, or decided to keep "under wraps".
I think the use of the Ketosis test stick is very helpful and certainly very encouraging in your endeavours to lose body fat.
However, just a little word of caution, if you do decide to embark on this type of eating - it is probably just my own experience or in-experience, but I seemed to have indigestion on a regular basis. Perhaps it doesn't suit everyone, but it is certainly worth trying and seems to have a very high success rate for most people.
Reviewer: Wendy E. Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last.......a Diet that really works!!, 6 Dec 2001
I bought the book and followed it to the letter. I lost 9lb in the first two weeks "Induction" part of the diet and now I am on the "Ongoing Weight Loss" part, I am continuing to lose weight steadily. In four weeks, I have lost 1 stone in weight! I have been plump/overweight for the last 11 years and put it down to middle-age. I've tried all sorts of diets and always got bored and hungry and consequently returned to my unhealthy way of eating, Dr. Atkins has changed the way that I see food. I have been eating "like a King" for four weeks and have not felt hungry once! The weight is just dropping off and I feel so full of energy and 10 years younger. I used to suffer with various digestive ailments and always felt bloated. Now I feel so much better and all my ailments have disappeared. This is not such much a diet, more a way of life. I know that I can follow this way of eating for the rest of my life....it really isn't difficult and the whole thing makes so much sense. It's like waking up one morning a completely different person...and I like who I have become. Thankyou Dr. Atkins for giving me another chance to be slim and healthy. I recommend this book and this diet to all those who have tried everything and have failed miserably. You too could be eating steak with roquefort sauce, followed by strawberries and cream. Just get this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Try it before you knock it..., 3 Sep 2003
By A Customer
I brought this book after my friend explained a little about it, after reading it I will be honest and say I was scared!! Scared of the strictness of it all (I have in the past been to Weight Watchers/Slimming World and all the others), but one morning I decided today... it was actually relatively easy to stick to. I stayed on it for one month loosing 10kg in total and several inches, but because of the hype I came off it. An appointment with my doctor later... back on it. She said not too worry too much about the press etc. So I say, IF IT WORKS, DONT KNOCK IT. I am also happy to say that going back onto the plan was also easy (other diets I have struggled to return after a break). Good luck.

‹ Previous | 1 2 366 | Next ›