4.0 out of 5 stars Melt That Fat Away - With Some Major Deprivation!,
Published on 14 Feb. 2005 by Jana L. Perskie

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit difficult to follow
The first thing I'm going to say is, yes I have lost weight following the Atkins Diet - it does work. However I found the book a little difficult to follow. It is good at explaining how the body works, and how it burns food. If you are looking to learn about low-carb diets and how they work it is a good book. If you are looking to see how to do the diet long-term and...
Published on 7 April 2003 by greekspiceuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Melt That Fat Away - With Some Major Deprivation!,, 14 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution: The No-hunger, Luxurious Weight Loss Plan That Really Works! (Paperback)
Half of all adults in the UK are overweight and one in five are obese, compared with one in ten French people, reports a recent letter sent to MPs. There is an ever growing number of obese Americans - and according to the US Centers For Disease Control, 60% of all US adults are overweight; one-fifth of Americans are considered obese, up from 9% in 1991; and obesity among children is a growing problem. Many people, determined to get rid of that fat, spend more than $30 billion a year on diet products. And most of the products and diets are doomed to fail. I myself, am not obese, but always ready to remove 10-20 pounds. After the December holidays, I picked-up "Dr. Atkins' NEW Diet Revolution." I must say the diet works and I have lost almost 10 pounds (it is now February 15 - so 6 weeks of dieting, counting initial water loss). Now, I am one who pursues my diets with a vengeance, and they have run the gamut over the years. So, keep in mind, I do follow the rules, strictly. Until I stop dieting. Maintenance just does not seem to be my thing. This is not Dr. Atkins' fault.
Twenty years after the 1st Dr. Atkins' Diet was published, there are new research results, new studies and new evidence that Dr. Atkins' was, and still is, correct on many of his theories. Over $10 million of the original diet books have been sold, and now there is even a New, revised edition.
In a nutshell, the goal of the diet is to assist you in changing your body from burning Carbohydrates to burning Fat; stabilize you body's blood sugar and stop cravings for sugar and other carbs, (the craving NEVER stopped for me!); demonstrate to you, the dieter, that you can lose pounds this way; and to get your body into, what is called 'ketosis'...the process that occurs when your body burns fat. It also causes smelly sweat, stinky breath and sometimes hot flashes. Are you totally grossed out? The price we pay for health and beauty!
The first two weeks are the most difficult. You should, (Must!), take a good multivitamin and a calcium supplement to avoid leg cramps, a side effect of this regimen - explanation in the book.
You must drink 8-10 eight oz. glasses of water per day...or more, if you can. Water cleanses the body of fat and other wastes. Make sure your multivitamin has plenty of potassium, because you lose it rapidly with all the water you will be drinking. Forget coffee, tea, sodas, etc...just drink the water.
You may eat lots of meat, fish, shellfish, chicken, pork - but there are limitations, (see book); hard cheeses, not processed; eggs; some nuts; fat (moderation is the key here) - butter, olive oil, mayo, cream cheese; 2 cups, (at least salad) of greens per day - the darker the green the better; vegetables that are LOW in carbohydrates - of, course, many of your favorites are high in that favorite food group(!). The book contains an excellent carb counter. You May Not Eat Sugar, Bread, Cake, Pasta, Potatoes, (depressing), and the most difficult for me is to avoid most fruit, which is loaded with carbs. Initially, no more than 20 grams of carbs per day. As I said, or as Dr. Atkins says, after the 1st two weeks you may increase the carbs a bit, but not by much.
For me this diet, along with exercise - you don't have to do anything too strenuous, but walking a mile or two a day really helps - does work. I can do this for the short term, a few months, maybe 6. I understand the maintenance program is not bad. I haven't reached that part yet. :) However, the thought of giving up bread, cake, ice cream, pasta, good wine, etc., for a lifetime, hurts my heart and decreases my will to live - Really Live!! I will check out Maintenance and see, however. I do recommend the book. It is informative, well written, has all kinds of charts and carb counters to assist with your weight loss. Good luck, whatever you decide!
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 years of guilt, shame, food cravings and weight problems, 17 Feb. 2002
I started being interested in the low-carb diet 18 months ago, and finally found this book following a newspaper report of a man who had shed stones on the plan.
I started 5 weeks ago, since when I have lost a stone, and, more importantly (for me) 3.5 inches from my waist! I have been seriously overweight since I was * (I'm 38 now) I promised myself no more diets, but read the book, which made perfect sense to me, then took the plunge..
I must admit, the first 3 days WERE HELL! The nearest thing I have been through was giving up smoking...However, I am losing weight, I eat loads of stuff I used to feel guilty about, and my head is clearer. My skin tone has improved, and I NO LONGER TORTURE MYSELF by starting to eat as late in the day as possible ( before, once I started, it was difficult to stop...constantly hungry and snacking) Writing this, I've just realised that I no longer get the urge to snack!! BIZARRE!
The book is easy-to-read, and Atkins makes more sense than any of the other "experts". Usually on a diet, I become irritable, hungry, constantly think about food, and genuinely struggle to lose weight even when strictly following the diet. Not so with this, and I can't describe how much better I feel....

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I was on of the sceptics but..........................., 25 Mar. 2006
I have to confess something. A friend of mine was raving about the Atkins diet and she has lost a lot of weight. It didn't make HEALTHY sense to me. About five years ago I went through an addiction to working out and I was able to lose A LOT of weight, maybe the fact that I was in the gym everyday caused me to eat less as well. However, I noticed the weight creeping on again and no matter how hard I tried to lose the 12lbs that I gained I could not shift it. Low calorie diets failed because I was always hungry and all the other ones seemed so complicated with the points and grams etc etc .
So................................
I decided to buy the Atkins book. I have finished my 14 day induction today and have just weighed myself. I have lost 7lbs in 14 days. Admittedly I know a lot of it is water but what a motivator to keep me going. The best thing about the Atkins is there is NO HUNGER, NONE, NO STOMACH CRAMPS, NO DIZZY SPELLS, NO CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET, NO THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND AND RUNNING OUT TO BUY A CHOCOLATE BAR.
I have to seriously consider incorporating this into my lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last.......a Diet that really works!!, 6 Dec. 2001
I bought the book and followed it to the letter. I lost 9lb in the first two weeks "Induction" part of the diet and now I am on the "Ongoing Weight Loss" part, I am continuing to lose weight steadily. In four weeks, I have lost 1 stone in weight! I have been plump/overweight for the last 11 years and put it down to middle-age. I've tried all sorts of diets and always got bored and hungry and consequently returned to my unhealthy way of eating, Dr. Atkins has changed the way that I see food. I have been eating "like a King" for four weeks and have not felt hungry once! The weight is just dropping off and I feel so full of energy and 10 years younger. I used to suffer with various digestive ailments and always felt bloated. Now I feel so much better and all my ailments have disappeared. This is not such much a diet, more a way of life. I know that I can follow this way of eating for the rest of my life....it really isn't difficult and the whole thing makes so much sense. It's like waking up one morning a completely different person...and I like who I have become. Thankyou Dr. Atkins for giving me another chance to be slim and healthy. I recommend this book and this diet to all those who have tried everything and have failed miserably. You too could be eating steak with roquefort sauce, followed by strawberries and cream. Just get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book could change your life for the better, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
48 years old and about to trash all my trousers for a larger size, I slashed my carbohydrate/sugar consumption and have lost over 15 lbs in two months. What is more, I have rediscovered the joy of real food and still enjoy a couple of glasses of red wine each day. Dr Atkins has opened my eyes to how we are being duped by the food processing industry which smuggles sugar and harmful trans-fats into our diets.
A magazine article could tell you to cut out sugar and refined carbohydrates but if you want to make a success of the diet you need to understand what is happening in your body. Much of the book is given over to the rationale behind the diet and for some readers this might prove heavy going. But stick with it, knowledge is power and knowing a bit more about yourself and the food you eat will help you and those you care about. If it only took a simple article to make you start this diet then you are just as likely to be deflected in the future by something else you read.
Other reviewers have criticised the lack of emphasis on drinking plenty of water. I have not found this to be the case and take a glass (half pint) with each meal, between each meal, and before bedtime. Once you have reached your target weight then consumption of complex carbohydrates in the form of vegetables, brown rice, wholegrain bread and pasta can be undertaken. The amounts can be increased until you find the level when you start to put on weight again. All this is clearly explained in the book and many of the negative reviewers appear to have had trouble comprehending the text. Athletes will obviously have a much higher carbohydrate threshold than the average couch potato.
I now sleep better, my chronic post-nasal drip has dried up, the wrinkles round my eyes have almost disappeared and I feel years younger. I'm still going to trash my trousers though - they're way too big!

4.0 out of 5 stars The daddy of them all but not necessarily the best author, 5 Mar. 2003
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
So many reviewers have focused on the "whether the diet is any good" aspects that I think it might be helpful to add a few notes about the actual BOOK.
From my personal experience, assuming you are interested in a low-carb diet plan I would strongly recommend you read The New High Protein Diet by Charles Clark.
Not that I necessarily suggest you follow his diet instead of Atkins, simply because his British medical background (he is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons at Edinburgh and an acknowledged world expert on the role of insulin) makes his a much better, easier to read and more relevant book for the British market.
One of the problems with Atkins book is that it is extremely long-winded. He simply takes a lot of time (and several pages)to get to even the simplest point. I suspect he is a genuine visionary in the field of weight loss but frankly in my personal opinion he just isn't a great writer and his editor probably holds him in too much esteem to tell him so.
Clarke by contrast makes his point and then moves on with admirable clarity and good English.
As for the actual diet - it's working well for me ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars An innovative, clearly-explained, way of losing weight, 22 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
Having seen a report about this diet on TV a few days before, I received my copy on 14 June 2003 and began the diet the next day - after having read the first 140 pages or so. It seemed strange at first, but all his arguments were clearly laid out and he covered almost all the worries I had about starting a diet which seemed to go against everything I had ever heard or read about nutrition.
I had a pretty balanced diet before - loads of fruit and vegetables and various good quality proteins, plenty of roughage and of course quite a lot of carbohydrates (which I had never really thought about before). I avoided high fat foods and always took the low-calorie/low-fat options.
Within one week I had lost 3.5kg (7.7lb) and had taken 2.5 inches off my waist. At present (about 10 weeks later) I have lost a total of 18kg (almost 40lb), and my waist is down about 9 inches (!!!) I have a further 15kg (33lb) to reach my target weight - the rate of loss has slowed considerably from the beginning, but I continue to lose steadily so I am perfectly content with this. I use the book as a kind of reference tool and consult it very regularly, to keep me on track and to re-assure me on anything I fret about; it is very helpful.
The most marvellous thing about this diet, apart from losing weight and feeling a lot beter than I have in years, is that for almost the first time ever I have control over my appetite - I eat only at mealtimes, never between meals, and have never been hungry from about day two. The first 10 days on the diet were quite difficult (headaches, lethargy, etc.), but since then I feel great with a much clearer mental attitude and much more energy. I wish I had heard about this diet years ago, but I am very grateful to Dr Atkins (RIP) for showing me a much better way to eat.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, 30 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
I have just started the Atkins Diet, having followed it for 8 days so far and have currently lost 7lb and haven't felt hungry at all. I have tried other diets - and although they do work if followed religously, they take alot of time and effort.By following the conventional high carb, low fat diet - I personally suffered constantly from hunger pangs and often felt lathargic, grumpy and weak.I often had mad cravings for sugary foods which never seemed to be satisfied. I could quite easily have eaten a whole packet of snack size bars in one go!!!
So far on the Atkins Diet I haven't felt any cravings. I've started taking a multi mineral/vitamin every morning with a large glass of water as instructed. For breakfast it's 2 rashers of low salt bacon with one scrambled egg. For lunch either cheese, meat, fish or egg salad followed by Sugar Free Jelly and for Dinner it's usually chicken breast & veg or salmon or trout. I use a non stick pan for cooking so do not need to "fry" in the butter as suggested. I figured that as the diet is higher in fat than conventional others, I would limit it for my own piece of mind. I have also cut out caffiene and found that on the whole I am feeling so much better. Reading my day's menu - it doesn't sound an awful lot of food - not compared to the quantities of food I was allowed to have before. But, I can honestly say that I have not felt in the slightest bit hungry. I have amazed myself in the fact that, so far this has been so easy. For some reason this way of eating totally changes your tastes in a very short period of time. Alot of folk seem to think this is a bad diet - but, it is not a lifetime of eggs, cheese and steaks. If the time is taken to read the book, it is quite clear that after the induction period, carbs are gradually bought back into the diet to find a level at which weight can be maintained. Dr Atkins does explain everything if a little long winded. There are recipes to follow with the carb content and lots of case histories. I would advise buying this book if you have more than a couple of stone to lose and you too have found that conventional dieting has not shown the results you would have hoped for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth persevering with., 19 Jan. 2001
It works for me. I admit that like some of the other reviewers I didn't feel great for the first couple of days - but then it's a big change to put your metabolism through. After two weeks I feel more energetic, I've definitely lost weight, people are telling me I look much better....
The diet:
What Dr Atkins says about reducing carbohydrate cravings rings true. I haven't found this at all difficult to stick to - and I don't get the big 4pm energy crash any more.
Appetite appeal hasn't been an issue for me. It's not difficult to come up with an endless variety of options based even on the rigorous list of allowed foods in the induction diet. I feel I'm eating much better than I was - although the fact that I like cooking and am reasonable at it definitely helps.
I didn't get the blood tests done at the beginning, but rather wish I had. The 'Ketostix' (available in Boots) are definitely worth investing in.
The Book:
Let's be honest - it's not brilliantly written. It is - frankly - repetitive, self-indulgent and self-congratulatory. He's evangelising, not just explaining in the clearest possible terms what to do and what to expect. But all the information is there, and the points he labours to make about so-called 'healthy eating' are certainly interesting.
The four stars are for the content, not the presentation. Someone should write a more user friendly version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent diet - ignore all the bad press, 22 Aug. 2003
If you are fed up of starving to death on other diets then try this one. I have got off to a great start with my weight loss - 10lb in the first two weeks - and it was fat, as I kept measurements. There is alot of bad press about Atkins and it has been labelled the No carb diet - this is incorrect. It is for the first TWO weeks only where you cannot eat fruit, but you can have lots of different veg (just not the starchy ones). After 2 weeks you can slowly introduce good carbs such as fruit, and gradually up your carb intake so you are still losing weight. It just advises you to keep away from bad carbs such as white flour, sugar, processed food etc.. Is that such a bad thing.You are also encouraged to drink loads of water. I think that because so many people are trying low carb diets, that there has been a drop in the sales of bread, potatoes and pasta. Retailers have been hit in their pockets and so they pick out parts of the diet and give it a really bad press.
If in doubt try it for yourself - just for two weeks - what have you got to lose except for fat.