5.0 out of 5 stars An innovative, clearly-explained, way of losing weight
Published on 22 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you check your health as well as your weight!
I started on the diet and initially lost about 11lbs, in the first couple of weeks. The food tasted great, I had more energy, and I no longer had cravings during the day for chocolate, biscuits etc. I had finally managed to gain control over my appetite.
Published on 15 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars An innovative, clearly-explained, way of losing weight, 22 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution: The No-hunger, Luxurious Weight Loss Plan That Really Works! (Paperback)
Having seen a report about this diet on TV a few days before, I received my copy on 14 June 2003 and began the diet the next day - after having read the first 140 pages or so. It seemed strange at first, but all his arguments were clearly laid out and he covered almost all the worries I had about starting a diet which seemed to go against everything I had ever heard or read about nutrition.
I had a pretty balanced diet before - loads of fruit and vegetables and various good quality proteins, plenty of roughage and of course quite a lot of carbohydrates (which I had never really thought about before). I avoided high fat foods and always took the low-calorie/low-fat options.
Within one week I had lost 3.5kg (7.7lb) and had taken 2.5 inches off my waist. At present (about 10 weeks later) I have lost a total of 18kg (almost 40lb), and my waist is down about 9 inches (!!!) I have a further 15kg (33lb) to reach my target weight - the rate of loss has slowed considerably from the beginning, but I continue to lose steadily so I am perfectly content with this. I use the book as a kind of reference tool and consult it very regularly, to keep me on track and to re-assure me on anything I fret about; it is very helpful.
The most marvellous thing about this diet, apart from losing weight and feeling a lot beter than I have in years, is that for almost the first time ever I have control over my appetite - I eat only at mealtimes, never between meals, and have never been hungry from about day two. The first 10 days on the diet were quite difficult (headaches, lethargy, etc.), but since then I feel great with a much clearer mental attitude and much more energy. I wish I had heard about this diet years ago, but I am very grateful to Dr Atkins (RIP) for showing me a much better way to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 Sep 2003
By A Customer
I remember reading these very reviews prior to starting the Aktins Diet, and being encouraged by all the positive remarks on the book. I started 'doing' Atkins in January this year, and after 6 months I'd lost 4 stone in weight. I'm now a normal slim weight, having been overweight for most of my life. People don't recognise me, and I'm much happier than ever before. For those who knock the diet: it works. Like any diet, it can be hard work and takes a lot of self discipline, but the rewards are fantastic. No negative side affects for me at all. I've now moved on to a more general lower carb diet, where I eat a lot of things banned during induction. Just a little bit of knowledge about what you're eating goes a long way, and I'm perfectly confident that a lower crab lifestyle is easy to maintain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Melt That Fat Away - With Some Major Deprivation!,, 14 Feb 2005
Half of all adults in the UK are overweight and one in five are obese, compared with one in ten French people, reports a recent letter sent to MPs. There is an ever growing number of obese Americans - and according to the US Centers For Disease Control, 60% of all US adults are overweight; one-fifth of Americans are considered obese, up from 9% in 1991; and obesity among children is a growing problem. Many people, determined to get rid of that fat, spend more than $30 billion a year on diet products. And most of the products and diets are doomed to fail. I myself, am not obese, but always ready to remove 10-20 pounds. After the December holidays, I picked-up "Dr. Atkins' NEW Diet Revolution." I must say the diet works and I have lost almost 10 pounds (it is now February 15 - so 6 weeks of dieting, counting initial water loss). Now, I am one who pursues my diets with a vengeance, and they have run the gamut over the years. So, keep in mind, I do follow the rules, strictly. Until I stop dieting. Maintenance just does not seem to be my thing. This is not Dr. Atkins' fault.
Twenty years after the 1st Dr. Atkins' Diet was published, there are new research results, new studies and new evidence that Dr. Atkins' was, and still is, correct on many of his theories. Over $10 million of the original diet books have been sold, and now there is even a New, revised edition.
In a nutshell, the goal of the diet is to assist you in changing your body from burning Carbohydrates to burning Fat; stabilize you body's blood sugar and stop cravings for sugar and other carbs, (the craving NEVER stopped for me!); demonstrate to you, the dieter, that you can lose pounds this way; and to get your body into, what is called 'ketosis'...the process that occurs when your body burns fat. It also causes smelly sweat, stinky breath and sometimes hot flashes. Are you totally grossed out? The price we pay for health and beauty!
The first two weeks are the most difficult. You should, (Must!), take a good multivitamin and a calcium supplement to avoid leg cramps, a side effect of this regimen - explanation in the book.
You must drink 8-10 eight oz. glasses of water per day...or more, if you can. Water cleanses the body of fat and other wastes. Make sure your multivitamin has plenty of potassium, because you lose it rapidly with all the water you will be drinking. Forget coffee, tea, sodas, etc...just drink the water.
You may eat lots of meat, fish, shellfish, chicken, pork - but there are limitations, (see book); hard cheeses, not processed; eggs; some nuts; fat (moderation is the key here) - butter, olive oil, mayo, cream cheese; 2 cups, (at least salad) of greens per day - the darker the green the better; vegetables that are LOW in carbohydrates - of, course, many of your favorites are high in that favorite food group(!). The book contains an excellent carb counter. You May Not Eat Sugar, Bread, Cake, Pasta, Potatoes, (depressing), and the most difficult for me is to avoid most fruit, which is loaded with carbs. Initially, no more than 20 grams of carbs per day. As I said, or as Dr. Atkins says, after the 1st two weeks you may increase the carbs a bit, but not by much.
For me this diet, along with exercise - you don't have to do anything too strenuous, but walking a mile or two a day really helps - does work. I can do this for the short term, a few months, maybe 6. I understand the maintenance program is not bad. I haven't reached that part yet. :) However, the thought of giving up bread, cake, ice cream, pasta, good wine, etc., for a lifetime, hurts my heart and decreases my will to live - Really Live!! I will check out Maintenance and see, however. I do recommend the book. It is informative, well written, has all kinds of charts and carb counters to assist with your weight loss. Good luck, whatever you decide!
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 years of guilt, shame, food cravings and weight problems, 17 Feb 2002
I started being interested in the low-carb diet 18 months ago, and finally found this book following a newspaper report of a man who had shed stones on the plan.
I started 5 weeks ago, since when I have lost a stone, and, more importantly (for me) 3.5 inches from my waist! I have been seriously overweight since I was * (I'm 38 now) I promised myself no more diets, but read the book, which made perfect sense to me, then took the plunge..
I must admit, the first 3 days WERE HELL! The nearest thing I have been through was giving up smoking...However, I am losing weight, I eat loads of stuff I used to feel guilty about, and my head is clearer. My skin tone has improved, and I NO LONGER TORTURE MYSELF by starting to eat as late in the day as possible ( before, once I started, it was difficult to stop...constantly hungry and snacking) Writing this, I've just realised that I no longer get the urge to snack!! BIZARRE!
The book is easy-to-read, and Atkins makes more sense than any of the other "experts". Usually on a diet, I become irritable, hungry, constantly think about food, and genuinely struggle to lose weight even when strictly following the diet. Not so with this, and I can't describe how much better I feel....

4.0 out of 5 stars The daddy of them all but not necessarily the best author, 5 Mar 2003
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
So many reviewers have focused on the "whether the diet is any good" aspects that I think it might be helpful to add a few notes about the actual BOOK.
From my personal experience, assuming you are interested in a low-carb diet plan I would strongly recommend you read The New High Protein Diet by Charles Clark.
Not that I necessarily suggest you follow his diet instead of Atkins, simply because his British medical background (he is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons at Edinburgh and an acknowledged world expert on the role of insulin) makes his a much better, easier to read and more relevant book for the British market.
One of the problems with Atkins book is that it is extremely long-winded. He simply takes a lot of time (and several pages)to get to even the simplest point. I suspect he is a genuine visionary in the field of weight loss but frankly in my personal opinion he just isn't a great writer and his editor probably holds him in too much esteem to tell him so.
Clarke by contrast makes his point and then moves on with admirable clarity and good English.
As for the actual diet - it's working well for me ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-saver I wish I had known about years ago!, 7 Sep 2001
I read all the reviews of this book on the Amazon website and decided that I had nothing to lose in trying the diet. My GP had told me that, at 27 stones (378 lbs) my life was under threat. I was 47 years old and had been fat all my life, as are all my close family. I have always been unfashionably suspicious about the merits of calorie counting and low-fat dieting but did these things anyway as I had been taught they were right. However, I used to look at workmates and friends gobbling up anything they liked and wondered why they could do it and I couldn't: I realised there must be a reason why I could not eat 'normally' and be free from permanent hunger and self-hatred for my size. Well, to my immense relief, Dr Atkins gave me every answer I have ever searched for and made simple, perfect sense. The new way of eating has changed my life COMPLETELY.. I am evangelistic about it because I feel sorry for other poor souls trapped in an obese, unhealthy body. I used to sleep all afternoon .. not any more! I used to be irritable and thought continually about the next meal.. no longer! I used to be permanently looking for a sugar-fix.. no more! I used to suffer from appalling oedema of the legs and feet, so painful I could barely stand.. not now! AND in the first three weeks of this marvellous 'diet' I lost 22 lbs with no side effects except WONDERFUL ones! If you are in two minds about this book, give it a try! Read it properly so you understand the concept. It is not complicated. Do not cheat.. trust the author. Stick to the rules and you will be marvellously repaid. I would love to meet Ar Atkins and thank him personally for what he has done for me. By the way, after 15 months, I am now five and a half stones lighter (77 lbs) and ALL my many health problems have disappeared. I KNOW that I can make my goal of 11 stones (154 lbs). For twenty years I have carried around the weight of three average adults and none of it was my fault. What a revelation it was to discover that! Don't be guilty, make the choice not to be fat, set yourself free! Life is great! God bless you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to eat plenty and still shed pounds, 13 Jan 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book in March 2002, with the aim of shifting 16lbs. I too doubted it could work, because I like my food too much. However, I read every page and could see the sense in this eating plan which allowed me as much as I could eat of the right sort of food. All the things you are normally told not to eat ie. bacon, egg, cream and cheese are included in this eating plan. I reached my target weight within 1 month and nearly a year later I still maintain that weight. I have passed the book on to my mother (66yrs) and sister (41yrs) and both succeeded in weight loss and maintainig that weight loss without feeling hungry or tired. That is the key to this inspirational book. You eat plenty and you can still drink alcohol and there are no hunger pangs, no light headedness, no weight gain and most importantly no condescending attitude. I think all those who have tried to shed the pounds should read this book which gives plenty of medical advice as well as recipes and a logical method for weight loss and maintenance that can work. Try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, 30 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I have just started the Atkins Diet, having followed it for 8 days so far and have currently lost 7lb and haven't felt hungry at all. I have tried other diets - and although they do work if followed religously, they take alot of time and effort.By following the conventional high carb, low fat diet - I personally suffered constantly from hunger pangs and often felt lathargic, grumpy and weak.I often had mad cravings for sugary foods which never seemed to be satisfied. I could quite easily have eaten a whole packet of snack size bars in one go!!!
So far on the Atkins Diet I haven't felt any cravings. I've started taking a multi mineral/vitamin every morning with a large glass of water as instructed. For breakfast it's 2 rashers of low salt bacon with one scrambled egg. For lunch either cheese, meat, fish or egg salad followed by Sugar Free Jelly and for Dinner it's usually chicken breast & veg or salmon or trout. I use a non stick pan for cooking so do not need to "fry" in the butter as suggested. I figured that as the diet is higher in fat than conventional others, I would limit it for my own piece of mind. I have also cut out caffiene and found that on the whole I am feeling so much better. Reading my day's menu - it doesn't sound an awful lot of food - not compared to the quantities of food I was allowed to have before. But, I can honestly say that I have not felt in the slightest bit hungry. I have amazed myself in the fact that, so far this has been so easy. For some reason this way of eating totally changes your tastes in a very short period of time. Alot of folk seem to think this is a bad diet - but, it is not a lifetime of eggs, cheese and steaks. If the time is taken to read the book, it is quite clear that after the induction period, carbs are gradually bought back into the diet to find a level at which weight can be maintained. Dr Atkins does explain everything if a little long winded. There are recipes to follow with the carb content and lots of case histories. I would advise buying this book if you have more than a couple of stone to lose and you too have found that conventional dieting has not shown the results you would have hoped for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you check your health as well as your weight!, 15 Aug 2001
By A Customer
However, my weight reached a plateau after the first few weeks and seemed to stay there, even after about 6 weeks.
I was not too concerned as I was still enjoying the diet, and thought that my body just needed time to adapt to it.
However, I started to get pains in my chest ( in the heart area ), and was obviously concerned. To my relief, it turned out to be just a rib injury, but the various tests that were run on me showed something I hadn't expected. In the six weeks of the diet, my cholesterol levels had more than doubled! ( I had always had very low levels ) It was now dangerously high.
I came off the diet, and checked my levels again about 5 weeks later. They had returned to normal.
Dr Atkins does tell his readers to make sure you get your levels checked before you start, and again after several months. I would imagine that most people don't go to that trouble, and just start the diet regardless.
If the diet works for you, then great! I would just ask people to follow the advice and make sure you have yourself checked out. Don't just rely on your scales!

5.0 out of 5 stars The easiest diet I have ever done!, 6 Jun 2002
By A Customer
I hadn't really tried other diets as a low-fat no cheese or any food without any taste really didn't do it for me. This book doesn't have a magic wand as such but if you follow it then you are sure to loose the weight. In just one and a half months I have lost 21lb. I was 12 stone, 5ft 8inches, not exactly excessively over weight but just enough to make me self concious and unhappy. I can now follow this diet with an ease that I thought would never be possible. Thats everything from day-to-day through to eating out which I do about 3 times a week. I never told anyone that I was dieting and when I met up with friends that I hadn't seen for only a few weeks, their reaction was fantastic and this kept me going. One downfall, you have to buy a whole new wardrobe! Since I have been on this diet, I have read alot about carbohydrates and the conclusion I have drawn is frightening. We really are being had by the food industry, low-fat diets and, dare I say it, the government and their healthy living guide lines. This diet won't be for everyone, but I can confidently say that it is quite remarkable. The book itself can be long winded, although some of the analagy's were interesting. I still haven't finished it as I have used it as a barometer and guide not necessarily as my "bible". Take what you think is relevant to you, follow it for the first two weeks, which are quite tough when you realise how much carbohydrates (which is essentailly sugar with hardly any nutritional value) are in the food you have always thought were healthy for you. After the two weeks you can follow this instinctively. Believe me, if you do follow it pretty much to the letter for the induction weeks, you will be absolutely amazed. This diet is not new, Audrey Hepburn followed something similar, this book just re-educates you on how to eat the right foods with no stipulation on quantity and lots of ideas on how to keep it interesting, and more importantly, tasty! Two weeks is no time at all to try this and see the results for yourself. You will then be sure to follow it forever.