Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2004
I began the Atkins diet using this carb counter as a guide but soon found that the values quoted were often higher than listed on the packaging of the actual food. In most cases, reading the product's packaging gives a lower net carb value (the things you are supposed to be counting), so you can actually eat more vegetables than the book suggests. So read the packaging and ignore this book. A good carb counter would be useful if the packaging is not available for the food you are eating e.g. if you are eating out, but this certainly isn't the one.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2003
This book was made up through the hype of the diet itself. There is nothing in here that you cant do with some time, a note pad and a supermarket.
Trust me, do that instead.. and pick yourself up your shopping whilst there.
on 10 March 2003
I have one major whinge about this book - does this guy not know how to use a scales? Why can he not give the carb content of a standard weight of food, instead of using measurements of 2 tablespoons? How on earch do you measure out something like salad or raw spinach or fruit in tablespoons? Everyone knows how to use a scales and anyone who has ever been on a diet has one somewhere. Personally, I have no problems with the diet itself, but I'd buy a different carb-counter.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have used this book endlessly as my husband and I are following the Atkins diet. At at glance you can see the net carbs value of the majority of foods. A few things are not in it as it is produced in the USA, but generally it gives you an idea of carb value. It is small enough to take shopping so is useful when shopping as well.
on 26 August 2013
I didn't find the New Carbohydrate Counter as useful as I expected. It does not have a broad enough range of produce.

I found the Atkins Shopping Guide far more useful when out shopping for groceries.

For a wider range of foods with nutritional breakdowns for each, so I can plan my meals carefully, I bought "The Calorie Carb and Fat Bible 2013 edition. It contains a massive range of raw, cooked and ready prepared foods. About 450pages worth. As well 50 pages of very useful information about dieting and calorie charts, weight charts etc.
on 7 November 2011
NOT AT AT USEFUL......ITS FULL OF FOODS YOU WOULD NEVER EAT,,,,BETTER TO LOOK THE INFORMATION YOU ARE AFTER UP ONLINE.....
on 15 February 2011
If you are diabetic...buy it...read eat...and live by it.I have... and I now have 'normal'bs readings living a low carb lifestyle.Book Has a lot of everyday foods but is not complete, but is a little book and therefor easy to have in a pocket.
on 23 February 2003
I don't understand the reference to an apple containing 20g carbohydrate. According to a bag of apples bought today the apples have 11.4g of carbohydrate per 100g weight. It would have to be a big apple weighing 175g. Not very accurate to say 'an apple' has 20g carbohydrate
on 12 January 2013
Already tried and tested many years ago. Now doing it with my husband.Still working well . Would ike to know if " The 14-Day Atkins Diet" book is available.
on 17 January 2015