Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 August 2004
I bought this book because I had a few pounds left before going back to France. I was 6 months pregnant and a bit lost. This book was a blessing.
It has almost everything one needs.
It is easy to use, with comprehensible and clear information.
It is divided logically and for each stage there are charts, which explain the different areas of the child's development.
It also contains a number of very tasty and easy recipes.
All in all, this book is packed with all sorts of information from how to change a nappy to the best foods to give ones baby. It has been a life savour and without it things would have been far more stressful.
What really makes it stick out from all the other books is that it is pleasant to flip through and the information is easy to find.
It is serious, practical and clear.
Thank you Annabel Karmel and keep on writing. I am looking forward to using your weaning and baby food books.
on 15 February 2004
As an expectant father, this was a book that I bought with my wife in preparation for our first child, and has proved to be a good source of information.
The book is split up into 5 chapters, for the different phases of the first year: Preparing for the birth, and then for each of the following quarters over the year, covering the differing sections with advice on practicalities, sleeping, crying, developing and feeding.
It gives advice in so many ways, not only directly with suggested recipes, but also things to look for when buying items such as chairs, cots, prams etc. At the end there is a list of useful addresses.
Overall the book is practical, useful, readable and very informative, that is well presented and clear.
on 9 May 2007
I brought this book as i was finding it difficult to find a book giving more understandable advice on weaning etc... However, I was absolutelty amazed with it once i received it. The book gave clear and concise advice and I really wish I have brought this book while I was pregnant or just after my daughter was born as I honestly believe it would have helped with some of my breastfeeding difficulties. My daughter loves the meals I cook from it and I love the clear and concise information. I've reffered to it on numerous occasion and will be lost for a decent referrance book once my daughter turns 1. I definately recommend this book!
on 26 September 2007
I bought this book when my little boy was approaching 4 months and wish I had bought it earlier, as some of the information on the early stages would have been useful. I would have liked a little more information regarding how much food to give a developing baby, and when to decrease milk etc, and some of the information about which foods to give and when is slightly conflicting in various chapters (probably due to updating along with Department of Health guidelines) but otherwise I found this an unpatronising and easy to dip into reference guide.
on 30 August 2003
We were given this book 4 weeks after the birth of our first child and I only wish I'd been given it earlier. Forget about any other baby/pregnancy books - this book is brilliant. My husband and I have read it from cover to cover and it's well presented, up to date, clear, concise, good pictures, fun and so helpful. We're now looking forward to choosing our next Annabel Karmel book on weaning and baby foods.
on 3 June 2007
I have so many books on Baby's first year but this is the best. It summarises what is important, gives practical tips and wonderful checklists. I am very impressed by this book. The author has managed to cover all you need to know in an easy to read way. The book is structured in 5 main topics "Practicalities", "Sleeping", "Crying", "Developing" and "Feeding". All topics are separated per age; 0-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-9 months and 10-12 months. In addition there are recipes for during pregnancy and weaning as well as guidance on what to look out for when buying baby equipment. Each chapter also contains a perfect summary on your baby's development for that particular age.

I feel so confident having this book and use it as a reference daily.
on 27 March 2009
I bought this book because it had been recommended to me by 2 other mums. They said I would not need any other book as this one has got all the information I need to make a good start. Having read the book, I now absolutely agree with it! It does not overwhelm you with lots of unnecessary information and all the tips the author gives are very useful. I would call it more a reference book which is what you need if you have some common sense and don't need to be told what to do with your baby every second of his life. The book has got brilliant recepies for the whole family that is why my friends said they would like to keep it when I wanted to buy it from them.I would definitely recommend this book to all new parents!
on 17 February 2009
I got this book on recommendation from my doula and am so glad I did. It is a great overview for the baby's first year - their monthly development, how to identify issues and practical solutions, as well as a whole section on healthy recipes. I have found it so useful to dip in and out of for numerous issues, especially as a first time mum. Annabel Karmel rocks with her recipes, both for mum and baby, with healthy options, really tasty dishes of all sorts, and a guide towards weaning your baby onto solids. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
on 23 June 2003
I really like the straightforward friendly way that information is presented in this book, unlike many other baby books which tell you 'right' and 'wrong' things to do. Yet it still manages to provide useful advice on dealing with any problems you face. However, there are two things that I like even more about the book. First, it has handy sections summarising your baby's development at various stages, which are really fun to read in advance so you know what to expect. Second, there are lots of recipes - both for pregnant Mums and for babies' first meals. I loved that as I enjoy cooking anyway and it made the whole process of pregnancy and babycare seem much more a part of normal life rather than some special condition. Plus the recipes are really tasty, easy and healthy. The 'equipment planner' sections are also useful for planning what to buy.
on 20 May 2003
As a huge fan of Annabel Karmel, I was delighted to see her new book, Complete First Year Planner was out during my second pregnancy. I use her books on a regular basis to feed my three-year-old son Freddie and I’m very pleased she is now offering her invaluable guidance on all aspects of childcare. As with all her books, it is beautifully laid out with practical and easy to follow charts and advice so you can find what you are looking for quickly and effortlessly. I find the advice she offers friendly and supportive, almost as if one of my friends or my mother was sitting next to me. I have taken her advice and have started drinking raspberry leaf tea already in the hope it makes my contractions easier this time round.