5.0 out of 5 stars Super sarnies, tasty treats!
A really good price for this gem of a book. I find it really hard to get decent ideas for sandwiches and lunches, and although this book is aimed at parents for their children (and gives you ways to get the kids involved), it applies to everyone.
Published on 24 Sept. 2003 by nemea

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much inspiration here
Published on 16 Jun. 2007 by Alianor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much inspiration here, 16 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
With my eldest due to start school in September, I took out 3 books from the library on packed lunches and this is the only one I decided not to buy a copy of. Its major failing is that it doesn't tell you what a packed lunch should contain -- ie one portion each of protein, carbohydrate, fruit, veg and dairy. The booklet that came with my daughter's lunchbag was more useful than this. At least it gave me 5 sample menus that I can actually use!

Some of the recipes look nice and having cooked from Annabel Karmel cookbooks before I'm sure they're tasty, but there's nothing really new or different here and not nearly enough vegetarian options. Also her ideas for making a packed lunch special are for the most part rather twee, such as cutting sandwiches into special shapes, an idea she repeats several times in the book. Teddy bear sandwiches might be fun for Reception but by the time most children reach junior school they're going to be too embarrassed to eat one in front of their friends!

If you're serious about coming up with new, varied and nutritious lunchbox ideas, I would recommend the other two books I looked at, both of which are more substantial than this in terms of recipes and nutritional information: The Healthy Lunchbox by Fiona Beckett and Quick and Healthy Lunch Box Planner by Catherine Atkinson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super sarnies, tasty treats!, 24 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
There is a huge range of lunchbox ideas obviously, but there is something really key about them all. They're not boring- they appeal to kids and adults alike and stop endless days of ham salad. Since I got this book, I've made up a variety of fillings (some of them I've even been able to freeze to make a couple of days worth at once) on different breads including pittas and wraps (which I'd never thought of for sandwiches before), and it hasn't taken me much longer to prepare (although a little more shopping) but me and my boyfriend have both really enjoyed them.
Its made me feel like I've been having a truly balanced diet, because previously my lunches were all full of processed rubbish like crisps and chocolate. Now at least I feel like my sweet treats are helping my body a bit. I've only had the book for 2 weeks, so I can't say that I've lost any weight, but it has really cheered up my day.
The bottom line is that with clear instructions, colour photographs and at a good price, forget cookbooks, buy this 'inspiration' book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Lunchboxes, 30 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
I cannot think of the last time I bought a cook book and actually cooked so many of the recipes contained in it the results being absolutely delicious.
I will be recommending this book to everyone.
As for preparing the dishes in advance and freezing them...if only they'd actually reached the freezer! We managed to eat all 12 muffins before they even left the cooling rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lunchboxes. Easy and soooo effective, 7 Aug. 2007
Asher (Mcr, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
I have used this book to make Lunchboxes for my two children for the last 6 months and they are the envy of their classmates. I now find that I have to make extra so that they can share sandwiches, wraps, muffins and cookies with their friends. Interestingly the children with the crisps and chocolate biscuits prefer the contents of my children's lunchboxes. Favourites are the Tortilla Roll Ups with Chicken, Pasta Salad with Annabel's Dressing, Honey and Soy Toasted Seeds, Carrot and Pineapple Muffins and the Fruit, and the Fruit White Chocolate and Cereal Cupcakes (yum!).

Now even my partner is taking packed lunches to the office..

The great thing is they are all quick and easy to make. It's the best £6.99 that I have ever spent..

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 6 Jun. 2008
Bookworm (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
I am a huge Annabel Karmel fan and I buy all of her books. I did enjoy this one, although I don't use the recipes for lunchboxes as my children wouldn't eat the suggestions for sandwiches, etc. They got teased by their friends for bringing "healthy" food to school, which was a real shame! They do like the items from the "sweet" section, though! I recommend this book to anyone who needs a bit of inspiration for making packed lunches as it is crammed full of delicious and mouthwatering recipes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Are you a supermum?, 1 May 2006
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
because if you are prepared to get up on a weekday morning and start saute-ing some chopped chicken for your child's caesar salad school lunch then this is the book for you!!

Great recipes but not for people in the real world....

5.0 out of 5 stars Luchboxes, 21 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
Love the book as gives you more ideas how to make lunch boxes for the children more exciting, varied and healthy. I would suggest you make it with your children first and try it at home rather than packing them new things to try in the lunch box as they might just bring it all back home. Found this book really useful

2.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointed, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
My little girl has just started school and I was looking for some healthy and imaginative lunch box ideas. The book offers a balance of healthy sandwiches, soups and salads, with some healthy treats such as carrot and pineapple muffins. The food looks visually appealing however some of the recipes look a little time consuming especially in a morning (eg sauteing chicken in the morning for caesar salad !). I suppose the key is preparing everything the night before. As my daughter has a mix of school dinners and packed lunches I will have more time to experiment with the recipes.

I have several Annabel Karmel books and this is my least favourite. Im not sure if this is the case, but the book feels as though it is aimed at older children say 7 - 12 yrs. If I had looked through this book beforehand I would have left it on the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real winner with my grown up family, 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful edition. Nice hardback keeps it strong. The recipes I have tried everyone has loved and I go back to it frequently. Especially loved is the coleslaw - who knew it was so easy to make - and the muffins with carrot and pineapple - my son took them into his work on his birthday and a colleague told him it was the best he'd ever tasted! Well done AK!!!
The recipes are easy to follow and the pages are colourful.
The photographs are helpful and stylish. A real winner!

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lunchboxes (Hardcover)
There was very little in this book that I had either not found in her other books or that I had not easily thought up myself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lunchboxes
Lunchboxes by Annabel Karmel (Hardcover - 14 Aug. 2003)