Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 April 2004
This book can actually be summed up in a couple of sentences: Willpowercomes from recognising you have a choice. A choice to stop doing but moreimportantly - a choice to do. And this is the crux of the matter - toomany of us say "Oh, I can't do this and I must not do that.'
Truewillpower comes from saying: "I could do that IF I WANTED TO" but I choosenot to. There is real peace in realising that just because I want to stopdoing something does not necessarily mean I am denied it. Otherwise thelaw of rebellion comes in - the more I CAN'T have it, the more I wantit!
If there were a downside to this book for me it would be that the authorfocuses on the obvious habits to give up - smoking, overeating and so on.There are many more habits than that! But she has done us all a realservice in identifying some of the possible components of willpower, andas usual the most useful information (above) is often the mostparadoxical. Although not Eastern wisdom the principles remind me of suchstatements as:
"Give it up to get it back" and "non-attachment"
I do reccomend this book although if you want a more cognative approach tothinking about willpower I would go for something like The Secrets ofPersonal Mastery by Michael Hall.
All the best
Douglas
on 10 March 2012
and all of Gilians books! So clear and profound! You wont regret it! Grab it - and feel your perception change. Love
on 17 October 2011
Once again, as with all Gillian's books, this is a masterpiece in clear, easy to understand explanation. The reader will leave the book in no doubt about what willpower means, how it affects their lives and what to do to help improve it. The science and research are clearly explained but easy to understand. I was fascinated to realise just how much of our lives is influenced by our ability (or lack of ability) to exercise willpower. Gillian often refers to willpower as 'freewill' which I feel is not only a kinder word but a good description in itself of what we are dealing with.

Most books quite readily tell you 'why' but seldom tell you 'how' - Gillian's books are always the complete package, and once read, you are equipped with the knowledge and confidence to tackle problem areas yourself. Highly recommended.
on 27 October 2015
In the 1990s I read an article in Here's Health magazine on how to stop smoking by Gillian Riley. I followed her instructions and within a few days went from being a smoker who was always giving up to someone who didn't smoke. I've not smoked since. I haven't finished this book yet but have already put into practice GR's advice and find that I'm losing my fear of being out of control around food and, yes, I am losing weight. If you are a smoker, over eater or addicted to anything else, this is the only way to go. Worth reading and if you practice the advice you will change.
on 11 June 2013
I found it very easy to read, content wise could be better.
Nathaniel Branden Pillars of Self esteem in a simple execution.
on 2 October 2013
I like the philosophy behing this book. She also uses a lot of her ideas in her other book on overeating. Although some of the ideas were good I was a bit disappointed. If you are looking for something to really motivate you then this really tell you anything that you probably don't already know!
on 17 June 2014
A pragmatic way to tackle issues such as smoking or over eating. It's sensible and possible as a way of life. The explanations and examples were straightforward. The book makes,no false promises. I've recommended it to my friends and family.
on 27 June 2014
This book is about how to quit smoking or how to stop overeating, so you better choose Gilian's other books on this topics. If you are looking for knowledge about sheer willpower, you won't find it here.