5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, informative and a conception success!!
Published on 10 July 2004 by 16 weeks pregnant

2.0 out of 5 stars not all it's cracked up to be
I bought this book the 2nd month of TTC. I am now 9 months along and no pregnancy yet (apart from one chemical). At first I was impressed with the book as it explains clearly the fertility awareness method and this is useful info -and great to get you started. However, it is only now, looking back at what this book told me that I am horrified that I got sucked into this...
Published 16 months ago by Bert

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, informative and a conception success!!, 10 July 2004
16 weeks pregnant (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking Charge Of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Health: The Definitive Guide to ... Pregnancy Achievement and Reproductive Wealth (Paperback)
Before reading this book I considered myself well informed on fertility. I had been charting my temperature for a year without trying for a baby as I had irregular cycles. After 5 months of trying ( and lots of ovulation kits)I bought this book and realised I was not charting accurately enough and missing out the other signs of fertility. On looking back at previous charts, with the help of the book it was clear that I was ovulating most cycles but was missing my most fertile days. Needless to say 2 months later I conceived and our first baby is due at Christmas. Be prepared to learn loads from this book and to be initially slightly embarassed by some of the contents. Don't be put off by the amount of information, you can dip in and out of sections relevant to you. I passed the book onto a friend at work who is trying for a a baby and everyone had a peep. Despite some "eughs" (cervical fluid) everyone learned something. If you are trying to conceive this is an invaluable tool and may save an unnecessary referral to a fertility clinic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - I swear by reading this book I became pregnant, 6 Feb 2001
By A Customer
I was desperate to have a baby & tried for a long time & tried many different things. I was booked in for tests & a friend mentioned this book she had noticed on the internet. So obviously I thought I'd give it a go. Within 3mths I was pregnant & I swear it is with following the instructions laid out in the book. It is quite complicated at first but you get used to it. The book was well set out and explained everything easily. I would recommend it to anyone trying for a baby who is having trouble. I now have a beautiful 5mth old baby daughter & I thank God every day for bringing her into our lives.
I wish you all the luck in world if you're trying for a baby!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering - imparts incredible knowledge of your own body., 20 Jan 1997
By A Customer
This is a very clear, concise book - easily readable and understandable. By applying this book the reader is truly able to take charge of her own fertility. From this book I have gained a feeling of confidence in my own body and an awe of the beauty and strength of womanhood. My husband and I used this book to successfully avoid conception for seven months, then used it for one month to become pregnant (also successful). This book includes clear guidelines for using Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness Method during premenopause or breastfeeding. This is absolutely the most clear and complete book on the subject that I have read. The knowlegde to be gained from one's own body makes this book worthwhile reading for all women, sexually active or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for practising the Fertility Awareness method!, 11 April 2014
Dana "Dana" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book as, like many women, I have tried all forms of hormonal contraception and couldn't tolerate any of them for longer than a year or so at a time. I wanted to learn about FAM to avoid pregnancy, and I learnt soooo much by reading this book!

The chapters in this book discuss the menstrual cycle, male and female reproductive anatomy, FAM for contraception and TTC, and other practical benefits of using FAM. There's also a massive appendices section, which includes more detailed information for those with special circumstances (e.g. breastfeeding, pre-menopausal, troubleshooting your cycle etc) and loads of charts for readers to use. Although I want to avoid pregnancy, I still read the whole book and I found it fascinating. I thought I knew a lot about fertility (I study animal reproduction and genetics at university), but even I was surprised by some facts in this book. I haven't yet started FAM as I'm only just coming off of hormonal contraceptives, but I have every faith that this method is reliable and will work.

Another reason I gave this book 5 stars is because it has made me feel so much more confident in myself and more empowered. It may sound ridiculous to some, but I have been visiting the doctor for years due to painful intercourse and other symptoms and have had to undergo lots of really invasive tests and procedures (including surgery!) to try and figure out what the problem was. I have seen so many specialists, but in the end they concluded that I must have somehow got pelvic inflammatory disease even though I'd never had an infection because we'd ruled out everything else. They warned me I would probably be infertile, and this absolutely devastated me and my partner. I've found this incredibly hard to come to terms with and it has impacted my life dramatically, but when I read this book it gave such a clear explanation for the exact type of pain I was having... which is totally normal and not related to PID! No doctor or specialist ever once mentioned the possibility that it could be related to events in my menstrual cycle, if they had I wouldn't have pursued a diagnosis at all. I cannot be absolutely sure that I was misdiagnosed, but I'm almost certain now that I don't have a reproductive problem and that I won't necessarily be infertile. My partner and I are very optimistic about the future, and I am so grateful to Toni for that! :)

I hope others find this book as enlightening as I have. I can't wait to start practising FAM!

EDIT: I've now charted 2 cycles and I'm finding this book really helpful to dip in to, however I've found that the charts supplied with the book are entirely useless for me as they only start at 36 degrees and my BBT is around 35.3 for the majority of the month...

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Charge Of Your Fertilty, 3 Sep 2004
By A Customer
Who would have thought that there was so much to learn about fertility. This book is great, every woman should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely understandable book about the woman's body, 22 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I read this great book few months ago (I'm 28), and got so angry that nobody bothered to explain to me earlier how my body works. I sincerely doubt that any woman which never read this book knows what REALLY goes on in her body cycle after cycle. My cycles are 35 days "long", and I had some problems getting pregnant, but after reading this marvellous book, it took me three cycles to concieve. I'm two months pregnant, and happy as can be to finaly understand what's happening to me every month, and what are those "things" coming out of me. This book should be recommended in schools!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Toni!, 4 Jun 1998
By A Customer
My husband and I picked out TCOYF at our local bookstore and have read it from cover to cover. We have learned so much about my body, and our relationship is closer because we can share in charting my cycles. I was skeptical at first, but this month when I had eighteen consecutive high temps (a clear sign of pregnancy) I took a pregnancy test which came up positive! I ended up miscarrying, but without TCOYF I would have just thought my period was late. Now we know we are fertile and have a much better understanding of my body and that "normal" is a relative term!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book!, 6 May 2004
By A Customer
This book is practical and easy to use. No matter what the question or problem is (regarding fertility and the female body), I always seem to find the answer somewhere in this book. The "troubleshooting" chapter was very helpful and I found myself saying "aha" to myself over and over again. I never imagined I knew so little about myself! I would recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility to all women who would like to optimise their chances of conceiving and also to women who fancy giving natural birth control a go. Even if you consider yourself well informed when it comes to fertility, I am certain that you will learn a lot from this book. I will definitely save this book for the daughter I will hopefully someday have!

5.0 out of 5 stars More answers about conception than from my doctor, 2 Feb 1999
By A Customer
We were trying for our second child and had been unsuccessful - my cycle had changed from 28 days with our first, to 40 days! It was very difficult to find answers as to when would be the best time, and even if something was not quite right. I had visited my doctor in December and she had told me to try tracking my temperature for a couple cycles (but not longer because it wouldn't allow me to relax). I was almost through one cycle when I happened across this website and the reviews on the book. I went out the next day and bought the book and am I ever glad I did! As I put my temperatures onto the graph paper, I realized there was a good chance I had already conceived. I did not want to get too hopeful, but when my period was late, I tested and got a positive result! The information from the book helped me to know when I conceived (which is very helpful in determining my due date). Because I'm on a 40 day cycle, the doctor may have put my due date 12 days ahead and wanted to intervene before I was actually due. It feels wonderful to know what is going on with my body and not to worry about what people so often term as "normal". I now know what is normal for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars An authoritative book that gives hope to women over 30, 9 Nov 2010
Buoyed on by excellent reviews, I decided to buy this book and I am really glad I did.

Firstly, this book tells you everything you need to know about conception and natural birth control. The book identifies the window of opportunity that you have for conception and the perils of the 'rhythm method' of contraception: therefore, you get a double whammy.

What I liked about this book is that it contrasts with the opinion that women over 30 have 'bad eggs' and that's why they may find conception tricky. Weschler highlights that the odds against conception increase as you get older but with the correct strategy you can maximise your chances. This has made me feel confident that I can conceive in the near future. Obviously, anyone with an established fertility problem may need medical intervention but Wechsler is keen to point out that you can take responsibility for your fertility. Wechsler makes the common sense point that couples can think they are infertile because they find it difficult to conceive but they are probably not having intercourse at the correct time or not sure when ovulation takes place.

The biggest relief for me was the fact that, as menstrual cycles vary, so does the time of ovulation. Wechsler points out that some medical professionals do work on the basis of the 28-day cycle/14 day ovulation: this myth is exposed in this book and acts as piece of mind to those of us with more irregular cycles.

Detailed information is given, throughout the book, as to how to track ovulation and candid guides concerning vaginal secretions are very useful, albeit graphic.

This book would be especially good for anyone who is concerned that their age will preclude them from conceiving. Inevitably, ovulation decreases with age so you need to know when your 'window of opportunity' is to maximise your chances. This book is not a guarantee of conception but more a guide to seizing the day.

There is stacks of useful information on things that can aggravate conception such as infections, immunological disorders, weight, diet and stress.

This book is an all-inclusive guide on maximising your chances of conception. I would recommend this as your 'first port of call' when you decide to conceive, especially if you are concerned that you have left it 'too late'.