5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book!
Published on 15 Jun 2005 by McColey

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!
Published on 20 Feb 2005 by Ele

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book!, 15 Jun 2005
This review is from: From Here to Maternity: One Mother of a Journey (Paperback)
Mel's diary, what can I say? This is such a funny book, I never thought that pregnancy and birth could inspire such a side splitting book! If I go overdue this time round I will certainly be adding another read of this to my 'self-induction' help list. I bought this very late on in my last pregnancy (as requested by my husband who had read a review in the paper) and just didn't get time to read it before giving birth, then had no time with a very demanding daughter to look after.
Finally, the demanding daughter is more self-amusing and being pregnant with number two I thought it a great time to give it a go. I've never been big on reading, I've only ever managed a certain 'young wizard series' cover to cover, but this is one of those 'just cannot put down' type of books. I'm so glad I got round to reading it eventually.
When I finished reading it I 'allowed' my husband to take posession and he thoroughly enjoyed it too. I think he appreciated it more having been through the whole thing before as it was great to look back and compare. For example, Mel's parentcraft sessions sounded identical to ours - same characters, same script. Oh and those days after the due date, yes it was very easy to identify with that.
All I can say to first timers is BUY THIS BOOK, read it and love it, I wish I had. It's so close to the truth and funny at the same time. And to second+ timers, like me, you missed out last time, but BUY IT NOW it's such a great book.
And if Mel reads this, when are you bringing out the follow on books? I need more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, you will not be disappointed!, 26 Aug 2004
I immediately bought a copy of this book after reading about it in a pregnancy mag, and it never failed to impress. I knew it would be funny having spent my college days watching Lite Lunch, but this book was something else.
I'm currently 39 weeks pregnant with my second baby, and it has been a pregnancy from hell. I was at the end of my tether when the postman brought me my copy of From Here To Maternity, but I can honestly say I haven't laughed so much at a book in all my nine months of "nightmare". Even my fiance was impressed. It'll have first-time mums relishing the down-to-earth honesty of Mel's pregnancy and labour (which is were so many baby mags fail) and it'll have the rest of us laughing through our labours. And that includes the fathers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Don't read in a public place, 16 Feb 2005
Mel obviously has a natural talent for writing as well as presenting. I could really hear her voice, as I read her experiences from the pages. Really hilarious!
I laughed out loud several times on the train. Even though I am childless and don't plan to have children for a while, there were so many moments that struck a chord with me. (Its not just for expectant mothers!!!)
Only one negative thing - it is obvious some of her "friends" and their anecdotes aren't real (I wish they were), for example the hippy and the jet-setting celebrity-obsessed friend, because she criticises and pokes fun at them so much - she just wouldn't get away with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and touching read, 17 Oct 2004
A. J. RYLAND - See all my reviews
As a huge fan of Mel's from when she used to brighten up lunch time TV, I picked up this book as soon as I heard it was available, and wasn't disappointed. Almost every page has a genuine laugh-out-loud moment in it, and I can honestly say that this ranks as one of the funniest books I've ever read, with Mel's dry wit shining through on every page.
It's very similar to Dave Gorman's books, in that little details are picked up upon to hilarious effect, and the "supporting cast" of other people who pop up in the story are all wonderfully captured to the point that it almost feels you know them personally. However, I think this book surpasses Gorman's (which is no mean feat given how funny "Are You Dave Gorman?" is!), in that it is much easier to relate to the events of this book (even if you're not pregnant, the feeling of being overwhelmed by an event is something everyone experiences), and the refreshing honesty that Mel provides gives the book an extra dimension and warmth.
Overall, this is a superb book, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Oct 2004
If you're pregnant, or even vaguely considering it, this book is a brilliant antidote to everyone around you nodding profoundly and talking about how your life is going to mysteriously never be the same again.
It's incredibly funny, scary and true to life and, in the end, very touching. I just wished there could have been more of it, (particularly of the earth mother and super-terrifying chums) however the chapters do come in handy bite- sized chunks, just right if you're fitting them in before dashing to the loo...
Highly highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, even for a male, 1 Sep 2004
I bought this book as a gay male fan of Mel and Sue. Unlikely i will find myself in this situation but it was good to get an insight. Very funny, touching and witty.
Typical Mel.
A must buy for anyone who wants a good laugh and an insight into motherhood. I may not be popping out kids any time soon but I am more grateful to my mother than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every pregnant woman!, 15 Oct 2007
L. Stephens (London) - See all my reviews
I Love, Love, Loved this book when I was pregnant and have since recommended it to everyone I can! After reading numerous books and magazines about pregnancy telling me ' not to eat this, and not to do that' it was refreshing to read Mel's take on the whole thing and frequently had me in stitches (which was very embarrasing on the 8am packed train to London!). Buy this book, you won't regret it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 14 Sep 2004
A wonderfully funny and down to earth look at her pregnancy.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 20 Feb 2005
Ele "Ele" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I was looking forward to an amusing yet well thought out and written book... Or at least, the other reviews's comments led me to believe that that's what I ought to expect from Mel's narration of her pregnancy. But what a let down! The book is shallow, the structure is non-existant and the humour so over-done and predictable that I really felt that the author has consistently underestimated her readers while writing this.

From Here to Maternity: One Mother of a Journey
From Here to Maternity: One Mother of a Journey by Mel Giedroyc (Paperback - 5 Aug 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01