Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2003
From the title, I really expected this book to bit a bit vague - well, nothing could be further from the truth! This is down-to-earth, and refreshingly unpatronising.
Clear guidance is given on how to best approach the difficult situations we all find ourselves in ... and the descriptions of the main 'types' of children was enlightening - I have a 'spirited' child, who displays all the characteristics mentioned in the book, and was almost despairing of being able to get through to him!
I only wish I'd seen the first book when my son was a baby!
on 6 November 2009
As a mum you will fall into three catergories:
- A Gina Ford mummy
- A Go-with-it mummy
- A Baby Whisperer mummy
I have two kids, a 2 year old and 7 month old and I have had both these books in the bathroom for crucial, quiet reading when I get 5 minutes. Listen to what your child is telling you and get a form of routine in place which can be workable and flexibile. Tracey helps show you the signs and behaviours and tells you how to act and what to say. All this enables you to be a Mum to your child depending on who they are as an individual. So no more robotic Mum manual, this is a guide to help two individuals work together. Hope you get some sleep!
on 21 October 2005
I was disappointed with this book. When my daughter was born, I was recommended the Baby Whisperer for babies and really found it helpful and informative.
When my daughter reached 'toodlerhood' I went straight out to buy the Baby Whisperer for toddlers. I felt it was too late. My daughter was already two and Tracey Hogg only deals with very young toddlers ie: from the first steps (9mths+) so most of the book wasn't of any help at all.
I do think the title is misleading - I would class a child as a toddler from 18mths on as before then, to me, they are still babies!!!
If you got this book early enough then it would be of use and help, just don't leave it too late!!!
VINE VOICEon 8 December 2007
Having read TH's first book about baby whispering and following her E.A.S.Y style of parenting, I was anticipating a treat with this book and am pleased to say, I was not disappointed.
Juggling a (spirited) toddler and work, as all working mums will recognise, is no mean feat and I was feeling a little at the end of my tether in terms of what I was supposed to do in terms of boundaries and discipline (those cute little teeth sinking into my hand in frustration were beginning to wear me down...). I didn't want to be a pain in the ass to my little soldier but all my methods weren't working - I tried everything from ignoring the bad behaviour to getting cross and raising my voice to distraction and nothing was working! I didnt want my precious time with my son to feel like a battlefield and was finding it all very upsetting... Step in Tracy Hogg...
The brilliance of her theories and what stands her head and shoulders above the rest (especially the awful Gina Ford) is that she teaches you to teach yourself. She encourages you to take a step back, see the situation objectively and deal with it in a calm and controlled manner. She takes everything into account - the childs age, temperament, needs and personality as well as you're needs and temperament which can go some way into explaining why you have a particular situation on your hands in the first place!
Wonderfully accessible with easy to understand dialogue and ideas, this book (life saver) comes highly reccommended...
on 13 October 2004
Our 10-month-old used to wake up at least twice every night, although most nights it would be five times or more. We were at our wits' end. I got this book and went straight to the sleep chapter, which described a problem almost exactly like the one we had - baby couldn't fall asleep without the bottle/breast in her mouth. The parents in the book took months to cure their child's sleep problem, but since our problem was so severe, and we were so desperate, we decided to make the commitment and follow the advice. It took three nights of the putting down/picking up method, and our baby (now 12 months) has been sleeping through since. Much of the rest of the book I didn't find interesting, but I give it five stars for improving my quality of life a million times!
on 14 August 2014
Good read for any parents with time on their hands! She advocates consistent discipline with an empathetic approach to toddlers with different personalities. Sensible advice which works, though tiredness and stress can take their toll on even the most principled parent! Useful layout and cross referencing. Occasionally the tone is a little patronising "ducky" but maybe this is meant to be humorous and conversational.
on 1 May 2005
Having read a couple of the reviews on this item - it's clearly not everybody's cup of tea. But do we really need to know this?!
If you are soon-to-be-parents, not everything is as straightforward and as obvious as some people make out. If I'd have known about this book before we had our baby boy, it would have made things significantly easier - the sleep section in particular is worth every pnny of the book - some cracking strategies and scenarios - makes you remember you're not the only one having [if you are having!] problems!!!
on 6 September 2002
Being a mum of a 13 month old who has got quite some eating problems I am really happy that Tracy wrote another book. Having had the first book for the last year I was really happy with this new one.
She is so down to earth and makes me think more about what and how I do things now.
I was quite on top of my son when he was playing at the mother and toddler group now I just let him get on more.
Not having my mother near me to help out has not really been easy but having this book to fall back on certainly has.
on 19 April 2012
This is a very good book to have, it teach me how to look after my girl. The hints and tips are handy to know, it shows a clear approach to handle tricky situations meaning I am not stuck with a grumpy kid in the middle of an event or outing looking all fluster. With this book, I don't need to keep asking grandparents for advises instead we can exchange tactics.
on 10 January 2011
I'm only part way through but as a dad I was hoping that it would help me understand the tantrums and the confusing messages that toddlers give out ("I want to go out/ don't want to go out/ I'm tired/ No bed daddy".....and so far it has been helpful!

Will review again at the end!