4.0 out of 5 stars full of surprisingly simple, workable recipes
this is not the sort of cookbook I would normally buy, being rather an unconfident, though enthusiastic, cook who normally relies heavily on Nigel and Nigella, bless them.
Published on 6 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes but
I've eaten at the restaurant a couple of times, and loved it. I love Spanish food, and Moro's take on it is a real winner. And there are some recipes in here we come back to time and again (the carrot, cumin and coriander salad is just sensational and I never tire of it).

Published on 13 Mar 2008 by Chris Widgery

4.0 out of 5 stars full of surprisingly simple, workable recipes, 6 Jan 2003
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
My sister recommended it, though, and I am now completely sold on it. I have cooked several delicious dishes, all really easy and uncomplicated. The fish tagine, for example, is an amazing 'bung it all in and retire' recipe, which tastes wonderful.
Although there are ingredients in some dishes that it would be difficult to get hold of,these are in the minority compared to things such as smoked paprika, chestnuts etc, that are easy to find, but which have transformed my cooking.
For me, finding this book was as inspiring as discovering proper Italian food ten years ago - the same simplicity, delicious ( though obviously different) flavours and homely, completely unpretentious style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that turned me on to cooking, 12 Oct 2003
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
First this book isn't one of those books crammed with glossy photographs of scenery. Though well designed and illustrated this is a book of recipes, leaving off only to explain simply and clearly regional ingredients or techniques.
Second, these recipes are beautifully simple to follow - and so far, despite being an inexperienced cook, I've yet to find a dud. Thanks to Moro I am now allowed to be alone and unsupervised by my wife in the kitchen! Most guests have rushed out to buy the book or note a recipe. Although this is a 'celebrity' cook book in that the writers have a high profile London restaurant, it couldn't be further away from the over-fussy, over clever recipes so often found. True, some of the ingredients can be a little hard to find, but the authors have provided a very helpful glossary of UK suppliers for these. In my case a recent weekend in Barcelona had me spending a small fortune in the local deli shops!
The best thing I can say about this book is that it worked wonders for me and I now feel confident and able to experiment in the kitchen.Thanks Moro!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring receipes that cook beautifully, 17 July 2001
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
The two Sam's passion for their culinery field spices this wonderful book. Most of it is simple stuff - the usual story of fine ingredients used in simple combinations with no messing. For those of us addicted to strong flavours and a bit of heat, these recipes hit the spot. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food that really works ..., 28 Sep 2011
B. Odermatt "BioBenne" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
We have been to the restaurant a while ago and food was good but quiet expensive ... now with the book whatever page we open of it (mostly by random choice for us) the recipes are all very appealing, there is a great variety in them, its possible to find the ingredients, they are quiet easy to prepare, and most important of all they taste great. We have a lot of cooking books already (other very good ones as well, like Ottolenghi or From Nose to tail) but both of us (my wife and I) are glad we got this one as well, and gave it as a present to quiet a few of our friends already. What I like about the MORO coock book in addition is that you don't really need to stick to the recipe word by word, they also can just give you some great inspiration, for trying and combining things ... therefore I can 100% recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jan 2002
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought the Moro book about 6 months ago and have made lots of the dishes. The recipes work, are easy, original, taste wonderful and are digestible. The style of writing is accessible and educated and the layout and design of the book are a real pleasure. I love this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes but, 13 Mar 2008
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)

So why three stars? Well, just because we only ever cook three or four things. We've tried a couple of recipes that just didn't really work - they didn't go wrong, they were just, well, fine. But a lot of trouble for just fine. And a load of others I've just thought "oh, I can't be bothered". Which isn't to say it's complicated, just a bit off putting.

The mezze/tapas dishes are great though, the yoghurt cake not to my tastes but everyone we've made it for has raved about it, the liver with cumin wonderful, and the patatas pobres lovely). Have a look through it before buying, and see how many you're really likely to cook though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - like a breath of fresh air!, 22 Jun 2001
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I wholeheartedly recommend this book; Sam & Sam Clark have pulled together a delightful range of dishes that taste great. Having lived in Spain for part of my life I believe the majority of Spanish dishes from this book taste superior to what is often served in Spain!
Thank you for an exciting and original book that I will treasure forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, fresh, simple, fabulous cooking!, 12 Nov 2007
Siobhan Fitzgerald (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
I love this cookbook! Though presently suffering under a self imposed ban on cookbook buying - I could NOT resist this... I picked it up in a friends house and read page after page of delicious and different recipes for things like carrots with coriander, beetroot and garlicky yoghurt, patatas bravas, chicken baked in harissa, pork cooked in milk etc.
There is also guidance on where to buy sherry and what types work best with different food (a drink I have ALWAYS hated but am happily being won over.) There is a slight over dependence on London suppliers and speciality shops in the references given but... I have not bought a book in years that I have loved as much or produced food that has elicited so many compliments from friends. Plus the pictures are pretty!

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant restaurant - cookbook nearly as good, 23 Aug 2006
onion (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
This is an inspirational book, with recipes well within the reach of a competant home cook.

Many restaurant books (e.g. Cinnamon Club, Nobu) are just too intimidating for the amateurs. But this book has a wide range of recipes, covering Spain, North Africa and pushing into the Middle East. I've tried about 10 or so now, and all have been very successful - e.g. paellas, chickpeas and spinach, tapas suggestions, a fabulous monkfish with sherry/garlic.

Some of the other reviewers have noted the need for a lot of specialist ingredients, which is the reason for 4 not 5 stars, but those who live in a big city or who are prepared to order some of the more esoteric things online should be fine.

I rate Moro as one of the best restaurants in London, and this book helps spread the love for those who can't go there regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reflects the wonderful tastes and imagination of Moro restau, 14 May 2001
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
You can't go wrong with this beautiful book. It will be inspiring to the best and most experienced cooks as well as the experimental and inexperienced (like myself. I have been to the restaurant many many times and am so excited to finally have a chance at delving into some of their wonderful recipes at home.

The Moro Cookbook
The Moro Cookbook by Samantha Clark (Paperback - 6 Mar 2003)
13.60