5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but tasty and elegant food!
Published on 5 Jun 2002 by Languagelover

2.0 out of 5 stars Nauseating
OK, granted, some of the recipes and methods in this book are useful. Fine. But the problem for me is that it spends pages and pages telling me how to live, what kind of sink to have, how wonderful expensive knives are etc etc.
Published on 7 Mar 2006 by Brainlover

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but tasty and elegant food!, 5 Jun 2002
Languagelover (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living And Eating (Hardcover)
This is a great book. It crosses the boundary between a cookbook and a lifestyle guide. The ethos of the book is that good food doesn't have to be complicated. I like the photographs and the layout of the book, particularly the suggested combinations of recipes for entertaining.The recipes themselves are clear and all the ones I have tried so far have worked perfectly. I think this is the most important test of any cook book, particularly for those who haven't been cooking for a long time like myself.
The layout of the recipes follows Starters (to begin), Soup, Eggs and cheese, Pasta and Risottos, Shellfish and Whole Fish, Poultry, Meat, Potatoes and Grains, Salads, vegetables, Purees and Sauces, the cheese course, puddings. There are further chapters on equipment and kitchen design and other ways of simplying the process of cooking and entertaining.
All in all a superb book which I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living and Eating, 4 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Living And Eating (Paperback)
Stealthily and without fuss, this book has changed the way I entertain with food. The recipes are simple and spot on - all those I have tried have worked fantastically well. It has great ideas on how to pull together bought items to create fabulous starters and ideas on accompaniments to different cheeses. I particularly enjoy the menu planning ideas. Apart from the faintly patronising blurb about what candles it is acceptable to have in one's home, I would recommend this book to anyone who is jaded with 'dinner party' entertaining and who wants to inject a new stylish simplicity into those potentially torturous (in a culinary sense) evenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite cookbooks, 31 Oct 2007
This review is from: Living And Eating (Paperback)
I've had this book for about three years now and it's definitely one of my favourite cookbooks, along with Nigella's How to Eat and Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion, but without a doubt, this one is the most stylish. I continue to give this book as a gift to friends as I think it has fantastic recipes (try the dead-easy Prune Clafoutis) combined with truly amazing style. While I can understand how one reviewer sees this book as too didactic, it interests me how a minimalist guru like Pawson keeps his life uncluttered and simple, and for me this seems more an act of generosity. I've never written a review of any book on Amazon before so that alone shows how well I rate this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for food, 9 April 2007
This review is from: Living And Eating (Hardcover)
There is only one reason to give this book 5 stars, and that is that the recipes are delicious. The instructions are clear to the point of didactism - there is none of the relaxed Nigel Slater "handful of parsley" here. But, whilst you may not warm to the martinet style, it is confidence inspiring, because you know that everything is going to turn out OK.

Almost half the book has been handed over to architect John Pawson, who writes long reams of recommendations for the most stylish crockery or the best cast iron casserole. Although I don't share his taste for minimalism, I don't object to reading his thoughts. He does know what he is talking about (even though I could not dream of spending the kind of money that he thinks is necessary). Actually, I found his martinet assertion that only this particular brand of vase, or whatever it was, would do, pretty amusing, because he does not seem to inhabit the same world that I live in.

The photographs are attractive, the layout is clear, the food has clean fresh flavours, easy to find ingredients and tastes fantastic, even for the novice cook. Unlike most cookery books, which I buy and then only cook two or three recipes from, this is one that I have gone back to and tried different things time and again.

Take the bossiness on the chin, buy the book and give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real classic, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: Living And Eating (Hardcover)
I've turned into a decent cook, and friends always say yes if I invite them round for dinner. Living & Eating is the cookbook that gave me inspiration. So many of the recipes were easy enough for me to do, even without being an advanced cook - but they weren't just easy; they seemed impressive to the dinner guest, too. What a winning combination.

I know a lot more about cooking now, but I still come back to this book again and again. The ingredients are sold in the local supermarket, there are suggestions for a whole menu, whether you are entertaining on a work night or the weekend.

The recipes are all well written, good instructions, and the photographs are stunning. This is the only cookbook I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for Life, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Living And Eating (Hardcover)
This is, without doubt, my absolutely favourite cook book, both for the wonderful photography and the delicious recipes. I try other books but come back to this one again and again. While it is true that John Pawson's "lifestyle preaching" can seem supercilious (since most of us can't stretch to a Bulthaup kitchen or sterling silver Hanovarian three prong forks) much can be learnt from choosing a paired down lifestyle. To quote David Henry Thoreau: "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify, simplify." Also, inexpensive but stylish kitchens are now accessible thanks to Ikea and some of the high street chains. Pared down living, avoiding clutter in the kitchen as well as in one's life can go a long way to easing stress, but one doesn't have to resort to being quite as minimalist as John Pawson would advocate. Having said that, after buying this book I removed a lot of clutter from my kitchen and got rid of cookbooks that I hardly ever use. Living and Eating is an inspiring book. Just looking at the photography is therapeutic, as is cooking the recipes, savouring the end result and dreaming of a Bulthaup kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious book, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: Living And Eating (Paperback)
This is a fab book, I was introduced to it by a friend who cooks from it a lot. The recipes I have used have been perfect. It is an inspiring book too, how to marry up flavour combinations. I have taken ideas and adapted them to what I have in the fridge, and I have also slavishly stuck to the recipes, both approaches work well. I have a lot of little tags stuck into the book of things I want to cook. Yum!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only keep one cookbook...., 29 Sep 2009
This review is from: Living And Eating (Hardcover)
If I could only keep one cookbook out of all that I've got, it's quite likely to be this one.

The recipes in this book are so simple to follow, they're for food lovers and perfect for dinner parties. Try the roast chicken risotto, the lemon pasta or find out how to do the ultimate tomato salad. The recipe for Eton mess is simply the best I've come across and the chicken and lemon pie is a hit every single time.

I keep cooking from this every time I have people round for dinner, as the dishes er sophisticated enough to impress people, but easy and quick to make.

The menu suggestions in the back of the book are pretty handy, too, and the photographs are beautiful. With most books, I tend to cook a couple of recipes and then nothing more takes my fancy, but I have by now cooked almost half of all the recipes in this book and can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite reading cookbook, 6 Nov 2007
Stacey E. Caron (Summit, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living And Eating (Paperback)
Out of all of my American, French, Italian and British cookbooks, this book is my favorite. I have the hardcover version, and it is so beautiful. I love to browse thru it on a Sunday afternoon. Every recipe I have tried has come out wonderful. My favorites are the stuffed dates w/ mascarpone, which I make often for company, and I also love the simple pasta w/ roasted cherry tomatoes, basil and olives. Simple, but elegant recipes. I like the photographs and text about knives, cookware, etc., unlike the other reviewer, I find it to be inspirational and an enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nauseating, 7 Mar 2006
This review is from: Living And Eating (Paperback)
Therefore it will alienate a lot of readers who, like me, don't earn much and have a kitchen the size of a postage stamp. One for Hampstead mummies with children called India and Sebastian. Visit Nigel Slater instead. He doesn't care how posh your kitchen is.

Living And Eating
Living And Eating by John & Bell , Annie Pawson (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2001)
Used & New from: £6.00