5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!
Published on 1 April 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing follow-up
Having used Dr.Green's other book "Babies" to help me survive the early months of fatherhood, I was hoping this one would prove just as useful in caring for my toddler. Unfortunately it isn't. Whereas the first book provided useful tips and techniques, this one is more conversational/anecdotal in tone - with hardly any practical tips. It's the equivalent of having a...
Published on 19 Mar. 2007 by MancMan

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, Compassion, and Humor Help Keep Parents Sane!, 1 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: New Toddler Taming: A Parents' Guide to the First Four Years (Paperback)
I appreaciate the upbeat tone of this book. I admit that I get confused and overwhelmed sometimes with all the psycho-babble out there. After all, no one author has all the answers that work on every child all of the time. I found comfort in this easy read book knowing for sure that I am not the only parent that faces daily challeges from the kids that can simply drive me crazy. "Toddler Taming has helped me feel less guilty and more competent raising my 3 young children, all under the age of 6. I have learned that there are indeed alternatives to the automatic parenting reactions of yelling, nagging, bribing, threatening and criticizing (that really aren't working anyway)...but they often require a deep breath, thought and a good bit of practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guidance and reassurance for parents and toddlers., 7 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
As a first-time mum whose 18 month old has just started pushing other children over for no particular reason, flinging hard objects across the room and bashing his head on the floor when he can't have something he wants I found it deeply re-assuring to hear that such behaviour is normal! Dr Green stresses that toddlers do not behave like adults and once we accept this we save ourselves an awful lot of needless stress, worrying and argument. As well as reassurance he offers very practical advice on how to deal with tantrums, sleep problems, feeding, potty training etc. His style is easy and humourous and a big plus is that he never dictates just gets alongside you and suggests. A must-buy for every parent whose angelic baby has become a rampaging toddler!

5.0 out of 5 stars calling all stressed parents!, 20 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
If, like me you've been trawling through the bookshops desperate to find a book that show you how to transform your obnoxious ankle biters into little angels stop right here!
Okay, 'Toddler Taming' doesn't quite promise to do that, but it does have bucket loads of practical advice on surviving the toddler years.
Dr Green has gleaned information from a wide range of sources. The result is a book which enables you to climb inside the mind of your wilful toddler and discover what makes them tick.
What's more, this book will have you nodding and chuckling from start to finish.
A fantastically entertaining and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made me realise my child is normal!, 11 April 2002
By A Customer
The most fantastic child rearing book. It was recommended to me by my child's playschool leader and I refer to it at least once a week. After just a few pages, I realised that my child was not the naughtiest in the world, just a normal little boy. Christopher Green has restored peace and happiness to our family life, well for most of the time anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice, 3 Jan. 2003
Melanie McEvoy (Clevedon, Avon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having no-one able to advise me on my first child, I found Dr Greens 'Toddler Taming' to be my bible throughout my daugthers first four years. He made me realise that my child (and myself) are perfectly normal and that I am not alone. His practical advise and anecdote have kept me one step ahead and even allowed me to feel confident enough to have another child. I do not know what I would have done without his brilliant, yet subtle, approach - I may never have coped this far!! I cannot praise this book enough - a must have for all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential comprehensive advice for weary parents, 17 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
Having purchased a wide range of child rearing books, I find Dr Green's Toddler Taming to be one of the best. In times where quiet reading is not on your top 10 list of things to do this book is simple, well structured and clear in it's advice. Mostly, it is all information that is floating around in your own tired, baby obsessed brain, but here is it clearly laid out so that parents are able to comprehend and then action the advice!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not mad after all!, 26 Jun. 2007
D. Thomson - See all my reviews
This is the ONLY book you should ever read about toddler problems. Or rather: parents' problems with toddlers! Dr. Green writes in such a humourous and down-to-earth way, it immediately makes you feel normal again. When in doubt about anything, I always pick up this book and feel immediately reassured. Even with my second toddler, it is still looked at weekly, because no child is the same.

His advice is very helpful and it definetely works! I can thoroughly recommend this book to any parent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great common sense advice, 12 Mar. 2003
By A Customer
My 20 month-old daughter has become an expert tantrum thrower - usually in the middle of the supermarket! I felt like I must be a bad parent or she wouldn't behave like this. Dr Green's book makes easy reading. Normally with parenting books, I just flip to the relevant section and ignore the rest, but I've read this one from cover to cover. His advice is sensible and practical, and above all makes you feel like you're not alone, and that your child is just being a typical toddler. His style is humorous and down-to-earth. I'm determined to try out the Time Out option. Above all, he reminds us not to beat ourselves up for getting worn out!
Well worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver!, 10 July 2007
Our little bundle of joy was crying, screaming and kicking all day long. We thought he just wasn't normal, that we had done something wrong and bought this book to see if it could help. IT DID! It teaches you to put yourself in tiny toddler shoes and see life through their eyes. After understanding their mind your life will get a lot easier than it was. This book is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 6 Aug. 2011
Here is a summery of this book as I see it.
1. Toddlers are attention addicts and if you don't pay attention to them voluntarily they will find ways to hijack your attention anyway (very true).
2. Ignore bad behaviour, reward good (sounds very simple and obvious, but less obvious when all of a sudden your sweet baby turns into someone who throws objects at you at the gentlest attempt to scold him)
3. Enjoy your toddler (I am glad I had this book to remind me to enjoy "the magic of this age" while running between the screaming baby and the screaming toddler).
There are bits in this book I disagree with but unlike some other parenting gurus Dr Green says it himself: "We don't need to bring our children up exactly by the book".
I can honestly say this book made a difference to my life

New Toddler Taming: A Parents' Guide to the First Four Years
New Toddler Taming: A Parents' Guide to the First Four Years by Dr. Christopher Green (Paperback - 14 Jun. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01