4.0 out of 5 stars full of surprisingly simple, workable recipes
this is not the sort of cookbook I would normally buy, being rather an unconfident, though enthusiastic, cook who normally relies heavily on Nigel and Nigella, bless them.
Published on 6 Jan. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes but
I've eaten at the restaurant a couple of times, and loved it. I love Spanish food, and Moro's take on it is a real winner. And there are some recipes in here we come back to time and again (the carrot, cumin and coriander salad is just sensational and I never tire of it).

Published on 13 Mar. 2008 by Chris Widgery

4.0 out of 5 stars full of surprisingly simple, workable recipes, 6 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
My sister recommended it, though, and I am now completely sold on it. I have cooked several delicious dishes, all really easy and uncomplicated. The fish tagine, for example, is an amazing 'bung it all in and retire' recipe, which tastes wonderful.
Although there are ingredients in some dishes that it would be difficult to get hold of,these are in the minority compared to things such as smoked paprika, chestnuts etc, that are easy to find, but which have transformed my cooking.
For me, finding this book was as inspiring as discovering proper Italian food ten years ago - the same simplicity, delicious ( though obviously different) flavours and homely, completely unpretentious style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that turned me on to cooking, 12 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
First this book isn't one of those books crammed with glossy photographs of scenery. Though well designed and illustrated this is a book of recipes, leaving off only to explain simply and clearly regional ingredients or techniques.
Second, these recipes are beautifully simple to follow - and so far, despite being an inexperienced cook, I've yet to find a dud. Thanks to Moro I am now allowed to be alone and unsupervised by my wife in the kitchen! Most guests have rushed out to buy the book or note a recipe. Although this is a 'celebrity' cook book in that the writers have a high profile London restaurant, it couldn't be further away from the over-fussy, over clever recipes so often found. True, some of the ingredients can be a little hard to find, but the authors have provided a very helpful glossary of UK suppliers for these. In my case a recent weekend in Barcelona had me spending a small fortune in the local deli shops!
The best thing I can say about this book is that it worked wonders for me and I now feel confident and able to experiment in the kitchen.Thanks Moro!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish, North African and Eastern Mediterranean kitchen - great for people who have lactose or meat restrictions, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
"Moro: The Cookbook" by Sam Clark is cooking guide for meals that are combination of Spanish and Muslim kitchen, that originate from the time when Spain was occupied by Moors, the Muslims who came across the Mediterranean.

Inside, the reader won't only find lot of unknown recipes that mix Spanish, North African and Eastern Mediterranean kitchen but will also learn some culinary facts about these less known cultures.

This book can be especially recommended to people who have some dietary restrictions considering lactose or meat, because inside you'll find number of great vegetarian recipes.
And although the meals are mostly unknown for Western people, they are made more or less from the easily available ingredients, while some exotic are optional, though they raise each dish step higher making it more original and authentic.

So far, I tried the Falafel, traditional Arab food, something I saw many times while traveling but never tried it.
It's made from chickpeas and fava, and it's very delicious.

The only drawback for some will be that although the presented meals are not hard to cook, they will require some additional time to prepare then usually needed, given its diversity from what we are used for.

But if you give it a try you certainly won't regret, it will be well worth your effort.

"Moro: The Cookbook" is good cookbook to have near you, something a bit exotic but still fairly easy to prepare and due to that I can fully recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring receipes that cook beautifully, 17 July 2001
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
The two Sam's passion for their culinery field spices this wonderful book. Most of it is simple stuff - the usual story of fine ingredients used in simple combinations with no messing. For those of us addicted to strong flavours and a bit of heat, these recipes hit the spot. Lovely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes but, 13 Mar. 2008
Chris Widgery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)

So why three stars? Well, just because we only ever cook three or four things. We've tried a couple of recipes that just didn't really work - they didn't go wrong, they were just, well, fine. But a lot of trouble for just fine. And a load of others I've just thought "oh, I can't be bothered". Which isn't to say it's complicated, just a bit off putting.

The mezze/tapas dishes are great though, the yoghurt cake not to my tastes but everyone we've made it for has raved about it, the liver with cumin wonderful, and the patatas pobres lovely). Have a look through it before buying, and see how many you're really likely to cook though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouth-wateringly delicious!, 8 Sept. 2002
Amazon Customer "Bones" (Newcastle-on-Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book is an absolute joy - obviously Sam & Sam really love their food; using all natural ingredients, (but not to the extremes of Crank's) they re-create the recipes they found during a 3-month trip round Spain, Morocco and Algeria, prior to setting up their 'Moro' restaurant in the UK.
They bake their own sourdough bread every day, using their own sourdough yeast, make their own yogurt and somehow find ingredients that most of us have never heard of (but they give a comprehensive list of suppliers at the back).
The recipes are simply described, with lots of practical advice and little anecdotes about their discovery of the recipes in tiny restaurants - for example, queuing up outside a hole in the wall that only sold lentil soup! But what a soup!
Think Spain - think paella (usually a hotch-potch of rice and everything thrown in to produce a gluey mass) - but this book resets that impression with a series of recipes that are light, tasty, unusual and definitely NOT stodgy!
Beautifully illustrated and lovingly written, you really feel the atmosphere of the Spanish/Muslim cookery surrounding you as you get drawn, drooling, into this gorgeous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Moro The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought the Moro book about 6 months ago and have made lots of the dishes. The recipes work, are easy, original, taste wonderful and are digestible. The style of writing is accessible and educated and the layout and design of the book are a real pleasure. I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moro Cookbook, 23 April 2009
Mrs. A. P. McIlravie "Sula" (Mediterranean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
This is a beautifully crafted recipe book about the food that makes the Mediterranean special. It contains some of the most evocative and mouthwatering recipes full of the very best ingredients and flavours of the whole diverse region. More importantly, these recipes are do-able. It has become my mediterranean cooking 'bible'

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Adventure in Spanish Food and Beyond, 16 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
What a wonderful book! Beautifully illustrated with loads of delicious recipes, some expected and some exotic! I really love the little sections of this book which explain the history, source and uses of special ingredients such as chorizo, paprika and so on. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book That Actually Gets Under The Skin Of Spanish Cuisine!, 15 April 2009
This review is from: The Moro Cookbook (Paperback)
This is definitely a book that should be a guidebook rather than an instruction book. As the restaurant changes its menu weekly, it soon becomes obvious that this is cooking 'on the hoof'.

In the restaurant (I have been), because the menu changes weekly, the presentation will never be well practised which focuses the attention on the taste rather than the appearance. Similarly, with the book, it should give you ideas, and not be set in stone.

There are some fantastic ideas for the marriage of spices and meats, and if, like the book, you get under the skin of the cuisine, you can develop your own dishes. This book leads you by the hand to discover the soul of a different cuisine rather than set recipes in stone.

My only regret? It doesn't have a recipe (or instructions) for Migas (Google "Sam Clark Migas BBC" for this fantastic recipe).

Moro The Cookbook
Moro The Cookbook by Samuel Clark (Hardcover - 3 May 2001)
Used & New from: £8.77