5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook there is.
Some of the reviews below criticise this book for sounding 'strange', promoting the author's own preferences, and being too picky (and too french). The real benefits of this book are exactly the same - it's an invitation to cook beautiful, extraordinary food as well as possible, from a writer who clearly loves eating as much as he loves cooking.

I've been using...
Published on 12 Mar. 2007 by Alastair

2.0 out of 5 stars “Not great”
Simon Hopkinson is an excellent writer and I eagerly used to read his newspaper columns in The Independent.
So when his 1995 book was republished after being acclaimed as the best cookbook ever I thought I’d buy a copy.
Needless to say I had high expectations of a book that would quickly take on the status of my “Most Favoured Cookbook”...
Published on 17 Jan. 2006 by Dr. Richard Dudley

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Roast Chicken and Other Stories (Ebury Paperback Cookery) (Paperback)
So many recipes I'd like to try. well written too. He clearly loves his subject. As so I. Great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Oct. 2014
L. Marsden (UK) - See all my reviews
Great book. Simple, delicious recipes. The most used recipe book in my extensive collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Dec. 2014
The best cookery book ever! and great service

4.0 out of 5 stars Master cheffette!, 17 Dec. 2014
Good, have started on some of the recipes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much ego and snobbery mars an otherwise above average cookbook., 9 Oct. 2006
Mr. R. Long - See all my reviews
Like many others, I bought this book based on a newspaper recommendation, something I won't do again. Yes, some of the recipes are good but Hopkinson is of the generation that believes that only foreigners do food properly. Yes, Simon, they do, if you cherry-pick where you go. A great deal of French and Italian cooking is just as average as basic cooking in Britain.

What puts me off more than anything, though, is the dinner-party braying that Hopkinson slips in to every now and then. He forgets that the book's supposed to be about cookery and becomes an eating snob.

There's a particular part which I remember, where he insists that the only way to eat a particular Italian cheese is in a particular town in Italy with a special knife. A special knife to eat a particular cheese? It's this kind of thing put me off the book.

I was disappointed. It's still on my shelf but I think I've looked at it once in 2 years. I use my Leith and my Elizabeth David books all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Oct. 2014
well satisfied

3.0 out of 5 stars More than chicken......, 17 April 2014
No doubt this us is a very useful cookery book. However, if you are looking for many recipes using chicken you will be disappointed. It's a melange of different recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars cookery books I love them, 16 April 2013
Book arrived, very good condition and lots of information, just need a few hours to have a good read another book for my collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to Nigel Slater!, 29 Nov. 2005
Insomniac Cat "HS" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
Too long winded for me. Too much time spent on explaining why HE likes the recipe that HE has written.
There is a trend, of course, for cookery books to become journals rather than just an indexed list, but some writers have a gift for this and others don't. When the journal-style fails it becomes just pretentious.
Nigel Slater, in "Real Cooking", talks about getting the most enjoyment from the ingredients in prologues to his recipes, but he does it in a way that gets your mouth watering and compels you into the kitchen with an urgency to try it out. Here, Hopkinson does less well, and I felt his comments were just filling space. The recipes that followed would have benefited from some more of that space.
It also relies heavily on the French genre, and a whole section on veal would have been improved if it had come with perforated pages for easy removal.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 7 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This book came highly recommended - what a let down. It was said to be as useful a cookbook as Delia Smith or Jamie Oliver write. Not so. Be warned!! These recipes are not for everyday cooking and that apart, they all sound really strange. I gave my copy away to a charity shop.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Roast Chicken and Other Stories (Ebury Paperback Cookery)
Roast Chicken and Other Stories (Ebury Paperback Cookery) by Lindsey Bareham (Paperback - 2 Sept. 1999)