5.0 out of 5 stars This book is refreshingly different
Published on 14 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from Helen Yemm
Haven't had time to sit down & read at length, but my first impression was surprise, I'm sure it will be informative.
Published 7 months ago by A. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is refreshingly different, 14 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Gardening in Your Nightie: What Every Passionate Gardener Should Know, But Never Dared to Ask.... (Paperback)
Within the first two paragraphs of Gardening in your Nightie I knew that I had found a kindred spirit in Helen Yemm. In fact, I suspect that the Author has been talking to my neighbours! Brilliantly written with a sense of humour I have so enjoyed delving into this book. Being the owner of many types of gardening books I found this book refreshingly different. The information is imparted in a witty lighthearted manner that makes it easy to absorb. I look forward to reading more from Helen Yemm...now... where DID I leave my trowel !!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, and good for gardening confidence, 6 Aug 2004
This is an informative, approachable and fun book about gardening and I learned alot from it. It isn't - and doesn't pretend to be - a highly illustrated book with lots of pictures about flowers, but there are plenty of those around. This is a different approach. A good choice for giving a new gardener confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., 15 Feb 2005
Kay Fender (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
I own about fifty gardening books but this is the one that I would recommend to a keen novice gardener. It is really informative and covers every aspect, and yet it is also very enjoyable and well written. Helen Yemm tells you everything you need to know in a friendly, unpatronising way and has a lovely sense of humour. This is not so much a reference book to dip into but a book to read from cover to cover in bed with your cocoa! P.S. Not a picture book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for All New Gardeners, 9 Mar 2001
By A Customer
I got this book out of the library - and then ordered my own copy the next day. It is brilliant - I learnt more in the first two chapters than I had from several other gardening books put together - and its a long time since any book made me laugh so much! It is witty and extremely well written. It cleverly answers the questions that everyone else simply assumes you already know the answers to. And does so in a style that is easy and fun to read.
This book is a MUST for all new gardeners! If you know anyone who is developing the "gardening bug" then this is the perfect present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardening in your Nightie, 2 April 2012
Having attended a talk by Helen Yemm the next morning I immediately ordered both her books. This one resulted in my having almost hysterics. She is so funny and I had to keep stopping reading to really laugh. I am now reading the book again from a learning point of view and cannot recommend it enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from Helen Yemm, 5 Dec 2013
A. Smith "M Ash Smith" (Aberdeen Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardening, 21 April 2013
I love Helen Yemm and her ideas and witty comments. Look forward to sumemr to get going.Thanks for good timing.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the most misleading title I have come across, 12 Aug 2000
By A Customer
An extremely restricted approach to helping someone enthuse about gardening - which is the most VISUAL subject. Not a picture or illustration. The title infers that someone is such an enthusiastic gardner that she will garden at all hours. This is not the case. So, so misleading and disappointing. We won't even pass it on to friends who are just taking up gardening.

1.0 out of 5 stars ...it would have been a good evenings read, 22 May 2001
By A Customer
Please note there are NO illustrations which isn't all bad but it makes you wonder why it warrants being printed in such a large format and thus the high price. Having just caught the gardening bug myself and after reading all the hype about this book I thought it would be just up my street. Unfortunately it just wasn't that good and although there were a few useful hints and tips I simply cannot warrant the price for a book I cannot imagine referencing again.