Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 December 2001
This is MJ's best book by far. (BTW-The comment at the bottom which gave it three stars is obviously referring to a different book. Not at all a glossy coffee table book. A great cook's book. ) it is very comprehensive and it is interesting how many ways through it people seem to go. I really liked all the Trinidadian receipes and the interesting links between them and the Indian ones. (I would love to see her tackle American cuisine now, North, South and Central...). If someone you know is thinking about being a vegetarian, is a vegetarian, or even a meateater who has an open mind, this book is a winner.
My most spattered cookbook by far.
on 5 July 2007
This is definitely one of my best buys. It was recommended by a vegetarian friend and I wasn't disappointed. I have owned it for a few years now and have nowhere near tried everything (I tend to stick to old favourites) but if I'm seeking inspiration, then this where I look. What I also love is Madhur's advice on the storage and preparation of ingredients, and it is interesting to read about their origins. So this is also a useful reference tool. If I could only keep one book out of my entire collection (fiction or non-fiction) - I have a lot, I think this would be the one! Every recipe I have tried has been successful and is extremely tasty; guests I have tried recipes on love them too. Tex Mex chili is my long-standing favourite :o)
on 29 November 2001
I love the recipes I have tried so far. The Nigerian Red Bean Stew is gorgeous - I have made it countless times now!

There are introductions to the recipes explaining where Madhur came by the recipe and this make the recipes more interesting and adds to their authenticity. Its a good balance between a lot of cuisines, though I would have liked more Northern and Eastern European recipes, but that doesn't detract from the excellence of this book.
on 10 January 2008
This book is so comprehensive I actually felt sad reading it that probably most of the new things I will eat are here and I won't find this kind of thing again.
Covers recipes from many different areas, so don't assume this is similar to her previous Indian subcontinent based books.
Recipes are more really veggie by great making use of local specialities and this makes for some great tasting dishes that can be enjoyed by all not just put up with by the veggies.
on 3 May 2007
I have this book about 2 years now and it is defintely one of my favourites. It is extremely comprehensive and fun to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in vegetable cookery or a vegetarian. It is also quite vegan friendly.
on 1 September 2008
I bought this book years ago, eight to be precise, and it has travelled with me to India and Dubai constantly being used to the point I need to cover it with plastic it is so messed up. I enjoyed cooking the dishes I have tasted all over Asia. My only criticism is that I wanted to be able to index the recipes with the hindi names for dishes from this country but it hardly matters. I have copied recipes to give to friends who have never heard of some of the food and they too have had fun cooking new flavours.I dont need pictures - I love to experiment listening to sounds the names of the veg and spices. Who needs meat with these kinds of recipes to hand.
on 11 February 2007
Since buying this book at Christmas I have found it indispensible and use it week in, week out. Every recipe I have tried works and I have been introduced to flavour combinations that would never have occurred to me. It is well written and straightforward and I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone.
on 28 February 2009
I received this book as a present about five years ago and it has been invaluable to me. One night I said to my husband that Madhur has provided us with such beautiful meals, for so long, that I feel enormous gratitude to her. Her recipes are always concise and easy, and of course adventurous: she will take your tastebuds to places you didn't know existed. I bought it as a gift for a friend because she's a serious cook and a very nice person. For the price it's the best value you'll ever get.
on 12 March 2004
This is, without doubt, the best collection of recipes I have ever come across.Every single recipe is a winner and if I only give one bit of advice, its this...Follow Mrs.Jaffrey's instructions(especially her spice measurements)to the letter.I thought I knew all the spices that went into a curry.Which I did but I put all of them in at once in large amounts,thinking that made it a spicier(more hardcore/authentic)How wrong I was.Suttlety is the key,less is more!Be less like Monkey,more like Trippitaka.If you are vegetarian,great.If you are not,apart from karma,it matters not!More flavours than you can shake a stick at!!!
on 14 November 2000
I cannot believe the greek lady is dissing this great book! We have had it for a year now and have cooked a multitude of the recipes, each one a roaring success and repeated/passed on to friends. Particularly, it has really opened up cooking with pulses for us, as all the books we had previously needed special ingredients, we seem to have most things at hand for Madhur's simple but delicious array of delicacies. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys cooking and eating good tasting healthy food.