5.0 out of 5 stars A staple of our kitchen
Published on 30 Jan 2001 by Mr. D. N. Sumption

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but recipes are a bit boring
This is certainly a comprehensive book with recipes from all around the world for all types of vegetables, grain and legumes. However, I find the recipes which have been chosen to be rather on the plain and boring side; I was expecting a little bit of exotica. I therefore am not very excited by the recipes in this book and am not inspired to run to the kitchen to try them...
Published 23 months ago by Louise_A

5.0 out of 5 stars A staple of our kitchen, 30 Jan 2001
Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my partner a year ago, but since then have used it mainly myself - barely a week goes by without dipping into it for a recipe or some advice, and it is freqently used daily. It contains an amazing variety of recipes, as well as basic advice on choosing, preparing and cooking all manner of vegetables, pulses and grains, sprinkled with readable comments and anecdotes. One of the first recipes we tried was the grated beetroot and shallots - I had never been a fan of beetroot, but this recipe converted me - amazing flavours and texture, unlike anything I had ever cooked before, and incredibly easy to make (it took less than 15 minutes and required only a few ingredients). My only criticism would be that the structure and presentation of the book seems sometimes a little fussy, sometimes a little arbitrary, and because of this we rarely venture beyond the first section on vegetables, with the occasional foray into pulses and grains. However, it contains enough recipes (probably a couple of thousand) to make any random dip throw up surprises, and to last a lifetime (though you may have to forego some of the more esoteric ingredients or substitute alternatives if you are just after a quick idea for tonight's dinner, but we have never found this to be too much of a problem).

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable collection, 22 May 2005
Rosemary Byde - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is my favourite recipe book - and have a few on the shelf! I always turn back to this one when I need inspiration. Lack of pictures doesn't matter, because the descriptions and anecdotes mean you can visualise the meal. I enjoy knowing a bit more about the background of a particular dish. Also helpful are the suggestions about what to serve with what. Don't be put off by the long lists of ingredients - mostly spices etc which always combine perfectly and are generally readily available in the UK. Everything I have cooked from this book tastes good.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding cookbook for people who like really good food, 31 Oct 2000
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
I was introduced to this particular cookbook of the famous Madhur Jaffrey by a serious vegetarian friend of mine. I have dabbled with vegetarianism off and on for the past 20 years. With this cookbook, I am more firmly committed to healthy and healthful eating than ever before. Jaffrey's astounding range of recipes --- each one written clearly and with personal notes that really make it an interesting read --- makes us want to run into the kitchen and start doing something fab with butter beans or aubergine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and very comprehensive, 27 Sep 1999
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
Having read this book from cover to cover, I can honestly say that this is one of the most comprehensive and enjoyable vegetarian cookery books I have ever read. It is extremely well researched and packed full of interesting anecdotes. The recipes are delectable and the format is easy to read. Many of the recipes are completely authentic, whereas others are adapted to suit modern tastes and lifestyles, and give an unconventional twist to old classics. This book is clearly a labour of love, and I would urge everyone, particularly vegetarians, to buy it. You won't be disappointed - there's something for everyone, from gourmet, dinner-party dishes, to homely, one-pot meals perfect for mid-week cooking. The only critisisms,as such, would be that you'll need a very well-stocked store cupboard, and that purists may find some of the recipes a little simplified. Some people may be discouraged from buying the book because of it's size and lack of photographs. However, written with enthusiasm, passion, and warmth, this book is surely a landmark in vegetarian cookery books and, in my opinion, destined to become a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, 3 May 2007
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have this book about 2 years now and it is defintely one of my favourites. It is extremely comprehensive and fun to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in vegetable cookery or a vegetarian. It is also quite vegan friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Veggie Bible, 9 Aug 2007
S. J. Eustace "Stevo" (Rotterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
I became a vegetarian around 4 years ago, mainly I searched through pages of books until I came up with veggie recipes. I then redsicovered an
Indian cookbook and stuck to the veggie pages. I really wanted to go beyond the usual rubbish that was offered, the broccoli quiches and
vegetarian lasagnes (they can be nice, don't get me wrong!). I found this book in the library and two years ago. After lending it for almost two months I bought it via Amazon and have
found it my most used cookery book of all time.

If you want more than the usual veggie offerings, try this, not only for the fantastic and varied recipes, but for the personal stories which
if you are a real foody, you will like. By the way, two of my fav cookery
books have no pictures, don't let that put you off. My versions of the recipes never look like the photos anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE ONE!!, 21 Nov 2009
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
If the world was only allowed one cookbook, this should be the one. Maddhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook is indispensable while the rest are not. That's how good it is. Who cares there are no pictures? The presentation or visual enjoyment of the food becomes completely redundant as soon as your tastebuds get a chance. I'm amazed every time I get to taste the results of a simple recipy. How do so few and simple ingredients get to taste so incredibly good together? The only problem with this book is that restaurant food is just not what it used to be. I prefer the food I cook at home, and that is ALL thanks to Madhur Jaffrey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best, for everybody, veg or not, gourmet or novice, 3 Dec 2001
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is MJ's best book by far. (BTW-The comment at the bottom which gave it three stars is obviously referring to a different book. Not at all a glossy coffee table book. A great cook's book. ) it is very comprehensive and it is interesting how many ways through it people seem to go. I really liked all the Trinidadian receipes and the interesting links between them and the Indian ones. (I would love to see her tackle American cuisine now, North, South and Central...). If someone you know is thinking about being a vegetarian, is a vegetarian, or even a meateater who has an open mind, this book is a winner.
My most spattered cookbook by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Around the World, 26 Sep 2007
Dr Adam Weiss (Buffalo Grove,IL.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
Jaffrey is a author of outstanding cookbooks, often focusing on Indian cuisine. "World Vegetarian" covers well over 200 vegetable recipes from around the world. World recipes are well represented from Cyprus,Greece, Jamaica,Italy, Trinidad, Japan, France, Morocco,Mexico, United States,Costa Rica, Korea, Cuba, Indonesia, Africa.Using different cultures dishes there are endless ideas for use of foods for a very good diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my bible, 5 July 2007
Tree (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is definitely one of my best buys. It was recommended by a vegetarian friend and I wasn't disappointed. I have owned it for a few years now and have nowhere near tried everything (I tend to stick to old favourites) but if I'm seeking inspiration, then this where I look. What I also love is Madhur's advice on the storage and preparation of ingredients, and it is interesting to read about their origins. So this is also a useful reference tool. If I could only keep one book out of my entire collection (fiction or non-fiction) - I have a lot, I think this would be the one! Every recipe I have tried has been successful and is extremely tasty; guests I have tried recipes on love them too. Tex Mex chili is my long-standing favourite :o)

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook
Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey (Hardcover - 8 Oct 1998)
22.00