5.0 out of 5 stars Bin Gina Ford's book and buy this one instead!!
Published on 10 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars If only it were really this E.A.S.Y.!
Published on 29 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars If only it were really this E.A.S.Y.!, 29 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby (Paperback)
At present, I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I made the mistake of reading it while pregnant and thought "Being a mum is going to be simple, what on earth do people complain about?" However I realised from day four (the day on which Hogg recommends starting your baby on E.A.S.Y.) that if motherhood were as easy as this book makes out, I would be significantly less tired and harassed than i am now!
So Hogg recommends starting your baby on a routine from day four... well as far as Eating was concerned, my newborn just couldn't rest unless she was at the breast and actually this is not surprising given the trauma she had been through plus the fact she was probably starving and my milk supply needed a good week to rev up. i personally think putting a newborn on a feeding routine at such a tender age is ludicrous. Now my baby is nearly four weeks old and we are on the 2.5 - 3 hour feeding routine and i couldn't recommend it strongly enough but it is unrealistic and demoralising to a first-time mum to find her baby does not wish to dance to Tracey Hogg's tune from day one (or rather, day four). As for the Activity bit, it is recommended that from birth to three months your baby is given 45 minutes entertainment time. i quickly realised that a newborn does not have the capacity for 45 minutes entertainment, and even now my daughter cannot entertain herself that easily, and i can only do so much to keep her so. What the book fails to mention is that your young baby might wish to spend her time crying as a past time! As for the Sleep part, Hogg blithely talks about putting your baby down for the night and seems to imply that a little reassuring pat and a rub was is all it takes to quieten your infant. Sorry, but no matter how many times you say, "Goodnight Mr Moonpenny" while drawing he curtains at dusk, my experience of putting my baby to sleep is far harder than Hogg makes out, and she seems to discredit all the 'tried and tested' recommended routes to pave the way for sleep such as cuddling, feeding, rocking and singing. Try as i could to find some decent tips for pacifying a SCREAMING baby once put down in the cot all Hogg recommends is a pat and a few reassuring actions, NONE OF WHICH WORKED... AND AT FIVE IN THE MORNING I NEARLY THREW THIS BOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW!!!
Also, there is too much reliance in here on using a dummy. I am not against using one but my daughter refuses point blank to take one, something Hogg doesn't take into account on several occasions.
Anyway, I have given this book three stars. For a start, some excellent guidelines for why my baby is crying, although not easy to make out at first, i think i'm starting to make progress here. Secondly, the recommendation to get your baby on a bottle by three weeks (ours is given a half bottle at the end of the day in order that i might have some freedom during the six months i plan to breastfeed) plus while her writing style can be a little condescending, it is clear, easy to read and entertaining. On many occasions she offers impartial advice such as in the section on the breastfeeeding/formula dilema plus some good breastfeeding advice such as single-side feeding (although i have yet to meet a midwife in the UK who DOESN'T advocte this - beware the Americanisms in this book!).
Overall, i think you need to take some of this book with a pinch of salt. I recommend it for its many strengths but on several occasions it's just too idealistic and leaves you feeling demoralised when your baby doesn't seem to want to click in to the E.A.S.Y routine as quickly or simply as Hogg makes out. I will continue to read this book and hope that maybe by 3 months or so things are easier and more structured, after all it's early days yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bin Gina Ford's book and buy this one instead!!, 10 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This is written with both love and common-sense by a former paediatric nurse and mother of two. It is packed with tips and advice on all aspects of caring for a baby, including excellent stuff on how to "read" your baby's signals. Like most first time mums I associated crying with hunger every time until I read this book - now I am much more adept at reading body language and identifying when my daughter is tired/bored/hungry. Rather than put your baby in a regimented routine a la Gina Ford, Tracy Hogg suggests a flexible "eat-activity-sleep" pattern (the "EASY routine") which can vary in length and the cycles don't have to start or end at any particular time. It certainly works for me and my daughter, who is a very chilled-out baby indeed! The text is written in a non-patronising, and non-judgemental manner by someone who has had their own children and cared for many others. The only minor criticism I have is that some of the language is a little "Americanised" as Tracy worked in America for several years. However, don't let that put you off, this is an invaluable guide for first time mums so buy this and consign Gina and her draconian routine to the dustbin once and for all!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Gina Ford..., 17 July 2005
This is a great book for new mums - very positive, reassuring and helpful, but also compulsive reading! Tracy Hogg's compassionate approach to crying babies and their concerned mums is a breath of fresh air after all the rhetoric of controlled crying. I didn't believe it was right to leave my baby to cry - even for a short time - and this book gave me the confidence to parent the way I wanted to without feeling neurotic and, importantly, whilst knowing I was in fact creating a bond of trust.
By detailing the various baby types (my first was an Angel but my second was definitely Spirited!) and how best to handle them, Tracy Hogg restores a feeling of control to frazzled parents.
The E.A.S.Y. parenting schedule gives baby the routine she requires whilst not imposing an inflexible system on the mother... you watch the baby, not the clock! But it's not all about the structure, it's about 'tuning in' to your individual baby's needs and identifying the signs of hunger, boredom, tiredness et al before the crying starts. Forget Gina Ford... this lady loves babies and it shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars a tremendous help!, 2 May 2002
By A Customer
I have to disagree with the reviewer who said that this book recommends you go against your baby's nature, when the truth is quite different. Tracy Hogg's stance comes from love and respect for babies and gives parents (especially first-time parents like me!) a great start in understanding what wee ones want and need from their carers. She advocates giving children love, listening to what they say (even if that just means interpreting their cries) and suggests ways to make your baby feel secure and content. True, she doesn't recommend the 'three in a bed' approach, but neither does she suggest that you leave your baby to cry.
I bought this book when my daughter was three weeks old, my mother had gone home and my husband was back at work. Tracy gave me the kind reassurance I needed when I was feeling unsure and vulnerable, and lots of practical help and useful advice that I'm still following, months later. I recommend this book highly to any parent or care-giver!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC HELP FOR ANY PARENT, 2 April 2004
By A Customer
I have recently had my second child, and thought I would follow some of the baby whisperer on living tv, I find her fantastic. With your first baby, I really think you make many mistakes as you don't know what each cry is for, but Tracy tells you what crys mean, and everything I have done with my second baby from this book has worked. I started it from the outset. I can only say this book is fantastic and recommend it for any parent on whatever number of child you are on, this book will tell you something you don't know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Floundering in the Parenting Wilderness?, 17 Nov 2003
I read this book when my son was 6 weeks old. He was suffering from colic, not sleeping at all during the day, Feeding constantly & crying lots. We had no natural routine at all and I was desperate.
I had also read the Contented baby book by Gina Ford at the same time and as many parents do found her to be too regimented.
Tracy Hoggs routine is flexible enough for every baby. We now have a casual routine that suits both of us.
The best bit about this book is it tells you how to read your baby. As a new parent I was misinterpreting his cries. He now feeds and sleeps at all the right times. He also only wakes once-twice in the night. He is 9 weeks.
The only down side is the book seems to tell you sometimes too much about what not to do and not enough detail on how to.
However I would recommend this book be bought by all new parents or expecting parents. I wish I had read this before my baby arrived we could have made the first 6 weeks much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book must for all new parents, 18 Aug 2005
I saw Tracey on the TV and was impressed so I got this book just before me daughter was born. I am not saying it was all plain sailing, we had our ups and downs but it really helped me to look at each problem more objectively and realise when it was things I was doing that was upsetting the routine.The advice is common sense, not too prescriptive it helps you to go with your instincts rather than other books which prescribe a minute by minute routine that you HAVE to stick to.

4.0 out of 5 stars down to earth practical good advice, 5 April 2005
This is an excellent book that I would recommend for any new Mum. Old fashioned advice that works, and helps Mum be in control instead of Baby. However I've only given this book 4 stars instead of 5 stars as sometimes Tracy Hogg's advice is overly simplistic...it could make Mum feel a failure if she can't get the EASY routine to patt in the time schedules Hogg mentions. As much as Mum's may try, not all baby's will settle into eating once only every four hours. However Hogg's actual routine is brilliant, just don't be too rigid with it and you and baby will be fine. See my reviews for other good baby books and my listmania!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for first time mums., 25 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I have two children already, and with both, had a very difficult time, suffering with post-natal depression both times. So I was extremely horrified to find that i was going to have a third child and have to go through the whole process again, which is how i looked at it. I felt extremely anxious about it all the time, until i discovered this book.
As i started to read it, it became clear all the simple things i could have done before to have made things a lot easier, and where i went wrong.
The book is simply written, and clear to understand. Needless to say it was like a weight had been lifted of my shoulders, and the anxiety has now disappeared. Although i have not yet had my baby, i am now looking forward to it, feeling a lot more confident in myself.I have also seen the results of her methods in friends of mine children, and it is just as she describes.
I can't thank Tracy Hogg enough for sharing her expertise.

5.0 out of 5 stars New parent's sanity saver!, 30 Aug 2003
If I were to recommend one book to new parents this is it. As a first time mum with absolutely no idea how demanding a newborn can be, it saved my sanity. It is the only book I have read so far that promotes a sensible, flexible routine not dominated by exact timings, but based on good old fashioned common sense. Luckily I found this book in the first week of giving birth and it quickly became my anchor. Not only did Tracy's advice help me to get baby to sleep through from 5 weeks old and breast feed until I wanted to stop at 7 months, but she helped me to understand better what my baby wanted when she cried - not that I could tell the difference between the sound of her cries at first, but that doesn't matter when baby is on Tracy's E.A.S.Y. routine. Tracy's book certainly help me in those first weeks when your world turns upside down and sanity flies out the window!

ARRAY(0xa9aba93c)