5.0 out of 5 stars Bin Gina Ford's book and buy this one instead!!
Published on 10 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars If only it were really this E.A.S.Y.!
Published on 29 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars If only it were really this E.A.S.Y.!, 29 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby (Paperback)
At present, I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I made the mistake of reading it while pregnant and thought "Being a mum is going to be simple, what on earth do people complain about?" However I realised from day four (the day on which Hogg recommends starting your baby on E.A.S.Y.) that if motherhood were as easy as this book makes out, I would be significantly less tired and harassed than i am now!
So Hogg recommends starting your baby on a routine from day four... well as far as Eating was concerned, my newborn just couldn't rest unless she was at the breast and actually this is not surprising given the trauma she had been through plus the fact she was probably starving and my milk supply needed a good week to rev up. i personally think putting a newborn on a feeding routine at such a tender age is ludicrous. Now my baby is nearly four weeks old and we are on the 2.5 - 3 hour feeding routine and i couldn't recommend it strongly enough but it is unrealistic and demoralising to a first-time mum to find her baby does not wish to dance to Tracey Hogg's tune from day one (or rather, day four). As for the Activity bit, it is recommended that from birth to three months your baby is given 45 minutes entertainment time. i quickly realised that a newborn does not have the capacity for 45 minutes entertainment, and even now my daughter cannot entertain herself that easily, and i can only do so much to keep her so. What the book fails to mention is that your young baby might wish to spend her time crying as a past time! As for the Sleep part, Hogg blithely talks about putting your baby down for the night and seems to imply that a little reassuring pat and a rub was is all it takes to quieten your infant. Sorry, but no matter how many times you say, "Goodnight Mr Moonpenny" while drawing he curtains at dusk, my experience of putting my baby to sleep is far harder than Hogg makes out, and she seems to discredit all the 'tried and tested' recommended routes to pave the way for sleep such as cuddling, feeding, rocking and singing. Try as i could to find some decent tips for pacifying a SCREAMING baby once put down in the cot all Hogg recommends is a pat and a few reassuring actions, NONE OF WHICH WORKED... AND AT FIVE IN THE MORNING I NEARLY THREW THIS BOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW!!!
Also, there is too much reliance in here on using a dummy. I am not against using one but my daughter refuses point blank to take one, something Hogg doesn't take into account on several occasions.
Anyway, I have given this book three stars. For a start, some excellent guidelines for why my baby is crying, although not easy to make out at first, i think i'm starting to make progress here. Secondly, the recommendation to get your baby on a bottle by three weeks (ours is given a half bottle at the end of the day in order that i might have some freedom during the six months i plan to breastfeed) plus while her writing style can be a little condescending, it is clear, easy to read and entertaining. On many occasions she offers impartial advice such as in the section on the breastfeeeding/formula dilema plus some good breastfeeding advice such as single-side feeding (although i have yet to meet a midwife in the UK who DOESN'T advocte this - beware the Americanisms in this book!).
Overall, i think you need to take some of this book with a pinch of salt. I recommend it for its many strengths but on several occasions it's just too idealistic and leaves you feeling demoralised when your baby doesn't seem to want to click in to the E.A.S.Y routine as quickly or simply as Hogg makes out. I will continue to read this book and hope that maybe by 3 months or so things are easier and more structured, after all it's early days yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bin Gina Ford's book and buy this one instead!!, 10 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This is written with both love and common-sense by a former paediatric nurse and mother of two. It is packed with tips and advice on all aspects of caring for a baby, including excellent stuff on how to "read" your baby's signals. Like most first time mums I associated crying with hunger every time until I read this book - now I am much more adept at reading body language and identifying when my daughter is tired/bored/hungry. Rather than put your baby in a regimented routine a la Gina Ford, Tracy Hogg suggests a flexible "eat-activity-sleep" pattern (the "EASY routine") which can vary in length and the cycles don't have to start or end at any particular time. It certainly works for me and my daughter, who is a very chilled-out baby indeed! The text is written in a non-patronising, and non-judgemental manner by someone who has had their own children and cared for many others. The only minor criticism I have is that some of the language is a little "Americanised" as Tracy worked in America for several years. However, don't let that put you off, this is an invaluable guide for first time mums so buy this and consign Gina and her draconian routine to the dustbin once and for all!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Take with a pinch of salt and trust your own instincts, 24 July 2007
Ms. Tamara M. Shand "tshand22" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I liked Tracy's ideas about talking to your baby, treating your baby with respect and as an individal. Further than that I found her EASY scheme too rigid for a newborn and actually eroded my confidence and made me feel like I couldn't enjoy my child by cuddling her, comforting her, napping with her, etc. By trying to force my child to early onto a 3 hour eating routine I found that my milk let-down went haywire making feeding difficult and sending my daughter into a frenzy. Tracy has a point in that it's easy to assume your baby wants feeding when s/he cries. But, when they are fresh out of the womb chances are that feeding is what s/he will want. I found my What to Expect book far more useful and confidence building. The rest you learn on the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our saviour, 25 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book when I had reached the point of complete exhaustion after the arrival of our little lad. Within a couple of hours of getting the book home we were putting the advice into practice, and it worked. Most of the advice is common sense and succinctly put. The reference table at the back that helps interpret the baby's signals has been very useful; we were misinterpreting the signals. At the age of 6 weeks, our lad is now putting himself to sleep in the cot, and is altogether a much happier baby.
Thanks Tracy.
I heartily reccomend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whispering speaks volumes, 1 Sep 2002
S. Rees-Evans "S" (High Wycombe, Bucks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is a must have. I only discovered it with baby no.2, but I wish I'd had it first time around. The book is well written and importantly, easy to dip in and out of, in between sleeps and feeds. It prescribes structure and routine in a flexible and loving environment. Its a must have. I am buying it today for a friend whose just had her first child! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will help you understand what your baby is trying to say., 16 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book has resulted in a calmer Mother, Father and baby in less than a week.
Every chapter contains useful, sensible and workable advice, but the ones particularly pertinent to us were those on reading the cries and body language of your baby, and on establishing a simple structured day. I have not come across another book which helped me understand my baby's body language. Being able to read him more effectively has meant I can spot when he is getting tired or overstimulated and act quickly before he becomes upset. A structured day has resulted in a more organised household and a more relaxed baby.
My baby is 8 weeks old and I wish I had discovered the book before he was born!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor advice patronizingly delivered, 7 Dec 2010
This book is terrible for many reasons, the following are the key reasons I would advise any new parent to avoid this book:

1) The advice on breastfeeding is dangerous: if you want breastfeeding to succeed you need to build supply and young babies frequently need to be fed every hour or more in the early days
2) The tone makes new parents feel as though they are being chastised by their granny - feelings of guilt and inadequacy should not be encouraged in new parents. Hogg's "accidental parenting" is actually what all new parents should do; ie work out over the first few months how they want to raise their child and which approaches work for them and their baby. They should not be made to feel guilty for taking this approach.
3) By far the least important but perhaps the most irritating: the quaint Enlish tone and frequent use of the word "luv". Made me want to barf.

Avoid this book - it offers little that is helpful and could leave you feeling inadequate and with no milk left to feed your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for first time Mums ...., 16 Aug 2004
This book is wonderful, being a first time mum I was nervous with the responsibility of a new baby. Tracey has a lot of empathy for new mums with a lot of emphasis on looking after yourself and giving yourself time out as well as looking after your new baby.
A lot of this book is straight forward common sense, but Tracey teaches you to take a step back and to relax when dealing with your newborn. (Not so easy when the baby is crying!). The part of understanding different crying was great as there are some not so obvious ones i.e. when they are bored or over stimulated. The section on reading body language was good as well because
its a hidden language which is easy to read after a while.
Everyone says what a "good" baby I have but I put her calmness and happyness down to reading this book and learning the secrets
to communicate with my baby.
Although this book says have a calm, confident baby I think this will apply to you as a Mum after you read it. Great for first time Mums. Best to read it before the arrival though!

5.0 out of 5 stars a tremendous help!, 2 May 2002
By A Customer
I have to disagree with the reviewer who said that this book recommends you go against your baby's nature, when the truth is quite different. Tracy Hogg's stance comes from love and respect for babies and gives parents (especially first-time parents like me!) a great start in understanding what wee ones want and need from their carers. She advocates giving children love, listening to what they say (even if that just means interpreting their cries) and suggests ways to make your baby feel secure and content. True, she doesn't recommend the 'three in a bed' approach, but neither does she suggest that you leave your baby to cry.
I bought this book when my daughter was three weeks old, my mother had gone home and my husband was back at work. Tracy gave me the kind reassurance I needed when I was feeling unsure and vulnerable, and lots of practical help and useful advice that I'm still following, months later. I recommend this book highly to any parent or care-giver!

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Gina Ford..., 17 July 2005
This is a great book for new mums - very positive, reassuring and helpful, but also compulsive reading! Tracy Hogg's compassionate approach to crying babies and their concerned mums is a breath of fresh air after all the rhetoric of controlled crying. I didn't believe it was right to leave my baby to cry - even for a short time - and this book gave me the confidence to parent the way I wanted to without feeling neurotic and, importantly, whilst knowing I was in fact creating a bond of trust.
By detailing the various baby types (my first was an Angel but my second was definitely Spirited!) and how best to handle them, Tracy Hogg restores a feeling of control to frazzled parents.
The E.A.S.Y. parenting schedule gives baby the routine she requires whilst not imposing an inflexible system on the mother... you watch the baby, not the clock! But it's not all about the structure, it's about 'tuning in' to your individual baby's needs and identifying the signs of hunger, boredom, tiredness et al before the crying starts. Forget Gina Ford... this lady loves babies and it shows.

9.09