5.0 out of 5 stars I have the book DVD and met Clare personally. NOTE her specialism is breastfeeding PROBLEMS
Ok some reviewers seem to have missed that the book describes itself "IF YOU FIND BREAST-FEEDING DIFFICULT and are on the verge of giving up..."
In short I had a nightmare with my first son, I was unable to breastfeed and had mastitis and every other breastfeeding issue going and ended up expressing for 2.5 months until my milk ran out. The 'fashion' 2 years ago...
Published 11 months ago by Mrs M

1.0 out of 5 stars The advice is this book will convince you that you don't have enough milk
I had this book while pregnant and discarded it within 3 months of breast feeding because the information was inaccurate, out of date, recommended needless interventions of expressing and worst of all convinced me that I had poor milk supply! What complete rubbish!!

It is completely undermining of the breastfeeding relationship - does not tell you that it is...
Published on 26 Jan 2009 by mama ninie

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 26 Nov 2013
A good book to read alongside nct book or LL book as it helps you tackle the many problems with breastfeeding and also if you need to supplement with formula without making you feel guilty or telling you that's the end of you breastfeeding! Like the other books do. Also has a section on bottle feeding gives you practical tips if you need to switch, the moto seems to be happy mum = happy baby however their fed!

5.0 out of 5 stars I buy this for all my friends who have a baby, 13 Nov 2013
This book was a a great help for me when I struggled with breast feeding my second child. It was recommended by a friend and I have recommended it to many others. It is full of tips to help you breastfeed. I just wish I had read the book when I had my first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breastfeeding IS difficult for most new mothers!!, 10 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Breastfeeding and What If You Can't?: How to Feed and Settle Your Baby and Have a Life of Your Own (Paperback)
... I thought the book was very helpful and balanced.
As a new mother, I had a really tough time establishing breastfeeding and felt like such a failure because most of the literature around and the breastfeeding fanatics all said "it comes so naturally". I think many mothers will agree with me that it does NOT "come naturally" as it tends to hurt horribly to start with and your milk supply takes longer than "a few days" (try a few weeks!) to get sorted (especially if you have had a c section or other complications).
Clare takes a very balanced approach to breastfeeding which is what new mothers need - what is MOST IMPORTANT here is the HEALTH of your new baby (you don't want it to starve) and YOUR OWN SANITY. The last thing your baby needs is a mother suffering from insecurity and depression from not being able to breastfeed successfully.
This book provides advice on how to deal with the likely problems of breastfeeding (and there are MANY of them), and if you don't succeed after trying your very best, it says "it's okay" - which it is - and provides a useful help on bottle feeding (which is not the end of the world!) I would recommend it to all new mothers who encounter problems and want helpful advice with no pressure.(P.S. I am still breastfeeding after 2.5 months despite lots of problems with mastisis, low milk supply, very sleepy baby, etc. which for me is amazing).

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 16 Sep 2007
C. Jones - See all my reviews
I would give this no stars if I could. I borrowed this from the library hoping to pick up some tips. I've been breastfeeding without any problems except that at 3 months my baby still feeds every one or two hours for a few hours each day. Reading this made me feel like a failure, and the authors' suggestions reduced both me and my little one to tears.

There are some glaring factual errors: The author describes the way milk is made in the breasts wrongly, referring throughout the book to "emptying" the breasts during a feed. In fact, milk is produced continuously and much of the milk may be produced while the baby nurses.

She makes many many assertions that are not supported by evidence, such as that nipple confusion between bottle and breast does not exist, and that:

"a normal healthy baby, when offered enough milk, will normally choose to feed roughly every three to four hours"

She doesn't cite any evidence, and my experience with my own baby and talking to other mums suggests that it is not at all true. It's sad that this book was published.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want to feel bad about yourself, buy this book., 3 Dec 2008
If you're having trouble breastfeeding, reading this book is the worst you can do. Written with staggering arrogance normally reserved for organised religions this book does not allow for the fact that some people will experience a lot of pain while breastfeeding, even when you are doing it right, and will put the blame for the pain squarely on you. Not exactly what you need in that situation. I wished this book had never entered our home.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disturbed by this glib book, 10 Jan 2005
By A Customer
I've never read a breastfeeding book which seemed more set up for failure: and that starts with the title. I've never known an author so quick to put it into women's heads that they will fail. One example: she says that women with unresponsive inverted nipples will simply not be able to feed: I'm a living embodfiement of how wrong that is, but if I'd read this when pregnant who knows? And her 'what if you can't' advice simply seems to be to say "don't feel guilty - just ge on with your life": how patronising.
Thank goodness for people like the NCT breastfeeding counsellors, whose more positive and constructive attitude helped me to believe in myself.
"...and have a Life of Your Own" - more scaremongering. I wouldn't want my old life back, thank you very much. I've learnt so much from finding my way with my daughter. I'd never have gained that valuable insight if I'd stuck to a book like this.
Try 'Bestfeeding' instead...

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 26 Nov 2009
C. Ivory (UK) - See all my reviews
I really struggled with breast feeding for a number of reasons (cracked, bleeding nipples, nipples that were flat etc) and I found this book so helpful, as it had a number of suggestions as to how to overcome each of the problems, from how to shape your nipple to help you baby to latch on, to other positions that might work. I found that the NCT class I did before I had my baby didn't cover any of the problems that you could have, it was very much the party line that if it hurt you had a bad latch and just adjust the angle of the baby, but didn't give you any information on what to do if the worst happens and you are in too much pain to feed. This book covered expressing (hand and pump), breast shields and the use of nipple cream (which was absolutely essential for me being able to continue feeding). It also covered formula feeding, which although was not a route I went down in the end, was very difficult to get good information about from either the NCT or the midwives I saw before I gave birth.

For the first 3 weeks I referred to this book constantly and it was really very reassuring for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars great reference, 10 Sep 2009
A very useful book containing practical advice which I will be referring to regularly once I have produced my baby!! I recommend this book if you are feeling a little nervous but know you want to breastfeed, as this makes you feel that although it wont necessarily be an "easy ride" it is one which almost anyone can accomplish with the right support and attitude.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 3 Jan 2011
Very outdated advice. The best thing you can do if you want to succeed with breastfeeding is buy a better book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd had it and will certainly recommend it, 3 Jun 2009
L. Collins (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I struggled with breastfeeding and eventually I had to give up. I did read several articles, leaflets and books, but unfortunately not this one. Having read it since I wish I had bought it when I was struggling - there are lots of points in this book that you can try if you are having difficulty feeding. I also think it lives up to the title as it clearly lays out what to expect and covers bottle feeding as well.
I would be happy to recommend it to others as a useful book but cannot comment on how it helps to establish breastfeeding due to when I read it.
If I have another child I will refer to it and would invest in the accompanying DVD too. I shall be lending it to my friend who is due in 3 months time as I think it would be useful to read prior to feeding as well as to help solve problems

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›