5.0 out of 5 stars Makes perfect sense!
Published on 5 Sep 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically OK, but I've seen better
Due to the simple fact that low-carb works Barry Groves is bound to be correct on a number of points. However, I feel that a lot of the arguments aren't very convincing. He'll often present some fact, but it's not entirely clear how it's supposed to be interpreted, and some of his findings seem to contradict earlier observations. This doesn't necessarily mean that he's...
Published on 20 Jun 2003 by J. Kristensen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes perfect sense!, 5 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Eat Fat Get Thin: Eat As Much As You Like And Still Lose Weight! (Paperback)
This is the first time I have ever felt the urge to review a book on dieting - as I have been sceptical (to say the least) of them all really, and usually been proved right!! However, this book has changed my life. I have spent the last 19 years going from one eating disorder to another and the result was a good 5 stone of excess weight, not to mention zero self esteem! I bought this book after reading about the author's views on another subject. I read it through at least 3 times first, researched Barry Groves and his other works on the internet... and then applied his teachings so to speak! The results were amazing and not only in the lost weight, but the reduction in bloating, digestive problems and more importantly sugar and carb cravings. I have watched with great interest the toing and froing over the Atkins Diet lately and would say this is the perfect compromise!! It seems far more balanced and the weight comes off steadily but without any difficulties. More sustainable, I have kept my 5 stone + off now with ease over the past 11 months.
I am now a healthy weight, have changed my eating and cooking habits for life... and my son is so much healthier for it too.....and wholeheartedly feel that leaving behind the current dictate of low fat, (often high sugar) low nutrient eating was the best thing I have ever done. Oh, and by the way, you will see a huge improvement in the condition of your hair, skin and nails as well.
I have never recommended a book before, and I may never recommend one again... but I urge you to read this one! Good Luck!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another LOW CARB supporter !, 4 Feb 2009
ARE YOU OVERWEIGHT - THEN GO LOW CARB!
Mum thought I was going mad when I turned to this but that quickly turned to interest when I had lost 2stone (I've now lost 7stone and I'm still losing weight!).
That interest for her turned to success as she had to take in her work trousers 3times - she didn't want to buy new trousers then as the January Sales were coming !

But back to Barry - another supporter behind Dr Atkins - who I think deserved a more grander title than a Dr for his work.
How is a FAT cell made ? Binding of a Triglyceride and Fatty acid via the use of Alpha Glycerol Phosphate. How is AGP made or where to we get it? It can be found in Insulin - something which our bodies produce naturally (As it can make you fat its nickname: The Fat Producing Hormone). Your body produces Insulin in response to the Carbohydrates in your diet. KCALS do NOT make a Fat cell. Insulin is the culprit. So how come my next door neighbour can eat to her hearts content and not put on any weight or fat then? Simple. Your neighbour isn't Insulin sensitive like you are - we are not all identical.
I'm now 24 and I've lost 7st ! Also, I've been doing low fat/under 2000kcal low sugar diets since the age of 14 - exercising & religiously following the diets but the weight wouldn't go.
I've now found out the reason why. Low Kcal = High Carb = more Insulin = Fat Accumulation in a nutshell.

Don't even try to argue with me. I put on 1stone 2lbs in 2days going back to a Carbohydrate diet again - I was going to be doing a carb diet for 2weeks to see the result and make a comparison - But that was all the evidence I needed to show me Carbs are the problem.

I read Gary Taubes' Diet Delusion - which I think you should read as well it was just the science book I wanted it - read the reviews on it is just a great book.

Barry's book just adds more fuel to the Low Kcal Hypothesis being absolutely flawed - How can Fat make you Fat ? There is no Scientific evidence or proof that Adipose tissue is made from Fat IT IS MADE FROM AGP which is found in Insulin which is only produced in response to the Carbs in your diet.
If someone's found that Fat will produce Insulin - if they have, that is a breakthrough for Science !
Just Look at these Quotes from the `medical experts' themselves :-

"It is reasonable to assume that persons with relatively high daily energy expenditures would be less likely to gain weight over time compared with those who have low energy expenditures. So far, data to support this hypothesis is not particularly compelling."
American Heart Association & American College of Sports Medicine 2007

"Fat is mobilised [from fat tissue] when insulin secretion diminishes,"
American Medical Association Council on Foods & Nutrition 2007

"Carbohydrates is driving insulin is driving fat,"
George Cahill Jr, a retired Harvard Professor of Medicine & Expert on Insulin

"the excessive consumption of calories from refined carbs & starches in people's diets are the cause of obesity."

American Heart Association & American College of Sports Medicine 2007

If you're Obese/ Overweight, like I was, then just go Low carb for a fortnight - you'll see results and you'll realise the diet that you've been religiously trying to stick to is the diet that has been making you fat.
Another book I recommend you read is Gary Taubes' book it's a more scientific book that really shows you the facts, evidence and proof that the so-called `medical experts' have just ignored !
Read Barry's Book first it'll prepare you for the Science in Gary Taubes'. Good luck in your weight loss - it WILL change your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Weight loss plus health benefits, 26 Jan 2006
Valerie O (Canberra, Australia) - See all my reviews
I took up Barry Groves' eating plan in June 2005 purely for weight loss, and by Christmas was successful in losing 6 kg (about 14 lb) which had accumulated over about twenty years (during which time I had been carefully following the "prudent diet" suggested by nutritionists: low fat and plenty of complex carbohydrates). Like Barry and his wife, I am now the same weight I was when I was married many years ago. I have found also that on this plan I am completely free of the debilitating and alarming hypoglycaemic episodes (not related to diabetes) which used to strike when I was least expecting them and leave me limp and exhausted for hours. I have carefully looked at several other low-carb plans. Some of them are complex and rigid, some are quite bizarre and some -- deferring to the edicts of the current diet dictocrats -- mistakenly try to combine low-carb with low-fat. Barry's plan is the simplest and best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat Lard and Live For Ever, 24 Jun 2002
This book turns conventional low calorie dieting on its head.
Instead of reducing the amount we eat and certainly reducing the fat we eat to a minimum, Groves advises reducing only the carbohydrates we eat. In the mean time you can eat as much as you like whenever you like and exercise only if you enjoy it.
I've followed the advice and improved my life style. At last I'm no longer constantly hungry and fatigued.
Groves dispells the cholesterol myth which is now so ingrained in the minds of the public - and warns of the dangers of polyonsaturated fat rather than saturated! An incredible eye opener of a book which has changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes perfect sense!, 5 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This is the first time I have ever felt the urge to review a book on dieting - as I have been sceptical (to say the least) of them all really, and usually been proved right!! However, this book has changed my life. I have spent the last 19 years going from one eating disorder to another and the result was a good 5 stone of excess weight! I bought this book, read it through at least 3 times first, researched Barry Groves andhis other works on the internet....and then applied his teachings so to speak! The results were amazing and not only in the lost weight, but the reduction in bloating, digestive problems and more importantly sugar and carb cravings. I have watched with great interest the toing and froing over the Atkins Diet lately and would say this is the perfect compromise!!
I am now a healthy weight, have changed my eating and cooking habits for life..........and my son is so much healthier for it too.....and wholeheartedly feel that leaving behind the current dictate of low fat (often high sugar) low nutrient eating was the best thing I have ever done. Oh, and by the way, you will see a huge improvement in the condition of your hair, skin and nails as well.
I have never recommended a book before, and I may never recommend one again...............but I urge you to read this one! Good Luck!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A new way of thinking, undermines the diet religion., 2 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Having failed in so many low fat low calorie diets I had almost decided to stay overweight as I would rather be heavy than stressed and hungry. I picked up this book because after a trip to Siberia (where I lived on fried fat fatty foods) I lost weight.
The book is not the worlds most exciting read but it was good enough to hold me to a one session read. The proof of the pudding is of course in the eating, and whilst it is early days (one month in) I have lost 8lbs and my wife 10lbs.That is without a single hunger pang, bacon and egg for breakfast, cold meat, cheese and salad for lunch and a cooked meal at night. I craved sugar and startch a bit for the first week but now I don't miss it.
If you are tired of the usual crash routine this book is definitely worth a read. No hype just the information needed for you to make your own decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life enhancing and so surprising., 15 Mar 2002
By A Customer
It is easy to dismiss it as another dieting theory, but if you are brave enough to question all the media, government and medical professions theories, and make the leap of faith, you'll discover that it's all true. Everyone I know who has tried it has acheived a combination of improved health, energy, and weight loss.
After Atkins, this book reinforces the principals, but is easier to read, and easier to practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never feel hungry again!, 4 May 2003
By A Customer
Well, this book is really something! It dispels all the things you may have been taught about 'healthy' eating. You never have to count calories again, you just concentrate on your carbohydrate and protein intake. And best of all, it works! You never go hungry, you always feel satisfied. Also, you enjoy what you eat. This is an eating plan for life, that has positive results. It is the only thing that has worked for me, the results are slow and steady in my experience, but I don't care, because I can live like this forever! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than pleasing!, 26 Jan 2011
I bought this book after seeing a work collegue who had lost four and a half stone, following this 'lifestyle'. I wanted to learn more about what seemed absolutely impossible. I read this book in two days as I could not put it down and was incredulous as to the facts. I began living the lifestyle straight away and am nothing short of gobsmacked at the results. I am losing weight at a steady rate, with no effort whatsoever. I am not hungry EVER! I feel happy and free and those agressive moodswings are a thing of the past. If I had been reading this review instead of writing it, I would be snorting with derision right now. This is the way I will eat from now on. I am just at the start of my weight loss journey after decades of 'dieting' but am confident that what I have learned from this book will be my weight loss answer. I am just grateful I found the right programme eventually. If you have ever been that invisible 'fat' person at the bar, waving that tenner at the barman whilst he constantly serves all the 'skinny minnies' then read this book and try this way of living (totally) Your life will change!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat as much of the foods you were always advised not too, 17 Feb 2000
By A Customer
I have found this a very interesting read, especially the areas relating to the concept of human evolution. According to the author, you can eat as much 'natural' fat as you wish & that your body will moderate the absorption & excretion of excess fats. People put on weight because they still have ' in a sense ' an animals physiology & should not consume foods with chemical additives. What I would like to see is what eminent cardiologists, physiologists & medical experts think of his ideas & this book, as the author seems to have used extensive research to back up his theory. The book suggests also that cholesterol clogging is not caused by fat intake, but the type of fat (i.e. processed) & processed carbohydrates. To back this up he looks at other cultures who have little access to foods, other than protein & fat, which are natural & how they fare. As far as diets are concerned, friends who have suggested looking at this book, seem to have lost weight, although they cannot eat much carbohydrae.
Typical Breakfast - Fried Egg in Lard, Bacon Rashers, Fried Mushroom & Tomatoes
Lunch - Cheese & Ham omellette, Chunk of Mature Cheddar Cheese.
Etc.
As far as I can see in my experience of being on it (and a 'big' eater) the diet does seem to work, as the author explained, because the Fat in e.g. Cheese is quickly detected by the body & you feel full. You are limited to 60Mg of Carbohydrate a day, but still the food you can eat is lovely.
It is well worth checking out at any rate, who knows it might just help another dieter like I am.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Eat Fat Get Thin: Eat As Much As You Like And Still Lose Weight!
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available