5.0 out of 5 stars Helps with fixing the emotional side of over eating
I bought this book over 15 years ago and found it the most useful book I have ever read. I was a compulsive eater all my childhood through to my twenties. This book is invaluable as it doesn't suggest yet another diet or willpower strategy, instead it works with the emotional side of why people comfort/compulsively eat. Occasionally when things get out of hand I start to...
Published on 27 April 2007 by Sgt. Cruz

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going
Published on 4 July 2011 by Karen White

5.0 out of 5 stars It's really made a difference to me, 27 Jun 2009
S. Holt (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession With Food: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever (Paperback)
This is the third book I have read in an effort to overcome my tendency to binge eat and it turned out to be third time lucky. I began reading with a healthy amount of skepticism but with a willingness to take on the ideas presented to me. Although some of the ideas were initially challenging, i.e. giving up diets forever and 'legalising' all foods, any doubts I had were dealt with as I continued reading. I ultimately devoured the book and it has significantly changed my relationship to food. I learned that dieting completely screws you up, both physically and mentally. I now believe that it's the cause of eating disorders and weight problems, not the solution. I still overeat sometimes but because I don't beat myself up about it or react by going on a diet, it happens less and less often and doesn't turn into a full scale binge. Every self-help book is a bit of a risk but I certainly don't regret giving this one a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most helpful book I've read!, 6 Nov 2009
I bought this book after reading the reviews and can honestly say it is the most helpful book I have ever read on the subject, every chapter makes perfect sense and I could see myself on every page. I wish I had found this book years ago and I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't have a 'normal, eat only when hungry' relationship with food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Overeating, 6 Jan 2012
Y O U H A V E G O T T O B U Y T H I S B O O K if you regularly are preoccupied with thoughts of self loathing self hatred and feelings of helplessnes because of overeating. If you have never been able to keep a packet of biscuits in your cupboard without eating the packet the same day and then spending the night telling yourself how disgusting you are and what a fat failure you are then you have GOT to read this book it is truly life and mind changing. It has the answers you've spent your life looking for such as, why am I driven to eat? why can't I be normal around food? ie not eating unless hungry not being anxious, why do I always fail at diets? I really can't say enough about the insight this book has given me into what has become a lifelong problem for the first time in my life I do believe I have hope and in time by applying the guidance given I will develop a much healthier mental attitude towards food. I am so glad I bought this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 4 July 2011
Before I start, I have to say, this book is brilliant and makes so much sense....in theory. I found this very hard going. I understood what was asked of me, I understood the principles behind it, but when it came to eating whatever I wanted - I quit, 5 days in. I could cope with the earlier exercises - binning the scales, binning the clothes that were too small for me, doing the mirror work. I even went one step further and binned all my diet books that I accumulated over the years. Then I got to the part where you stock your larder with all the foods you desire, and when the time came, I ate to my heart's content! But it never sat well with me. In fact, I felt nothing but anxiety and panic the whole time. I could feel my clothes getting tighter, and the lack of control freaked me out. I have gotten to this stage of the book 3 times now, and I still can't get past it. I know this is not the book's fault, but I've only given the book 3 stars as it hasn't worked for me. :o(

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Nov 2011
Great informative book, with very strong guidence on how to help get over food obsession. it has been working for me and stopped the cravings. I think its one ill be able to go back to again and again for re-affirmation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives a lot to think about....., 23 Feb 2011
This book reads very easily. Anyone suffering from food issues will relate to most if not all of it and although I'm not saying it's an instant cure it definitely makes sense and starts to give a different standpoint to the world we live in.

Essential reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book please give it a chance!!, 24 Mar 2011
I always was an overeater and I had been going through the motions of losing weight then putting it back on(mostly through fad diets & banning certain foods)but a few months after the breakdown of a long term relationship I realised that my overeating was worse than ever.

After a few months overeating for no reason then shouting at myself for it and then calorie counting to try and make up for what I was doing to myself I decided that I needed to discover why I was overeating so much and also why I was using food to coverup all the emotions that I was feeling.

I will freely admit that I was skeptical about this book but after carefully reading it and discovering that I could overcome my overeating I am starting to overcome my desire to overeat and when the desire for food does come over me I am a lot more relaxed about it and now I am much better at listening to my emotional needs rather than just reaching for food which is all down to this wonderful book it has totally changed how I feel about food and I am amazed at how much less food I am eating and how satisfied I am now when I do eat!!

So please give this book a chance & wave good bye to all the fad diets and false hope that they give you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover, 24 July 2010
Excellent book, I highly recommend it to anyone with eating problems. It is the only book which doesn't suggest a diet of some kind, which may seem scary and strange at first but it makes complete sense. After all if diets worked then all the slimming clubs would be bankrupt!! This is the only book I have ever read which actually talks about the underlying problem - at long last a solution that is not another diet. If you cannot afford councelling this book is the next best thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing read, 8 May 2010
Mrs. SL WRIGHT "BrandNewSarah" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a diet book that will help you shift 7 pounds in a week then this is not for you.

If, like me, you are completely at the end of your tether with overeating, binging, dieting, deprivation, feeling pathetic that you have no willpower to stick to diets, etc etc etc, then this is the book for you.

With this book you will be able to walk away from the dieting industry forever. But you have to want to do it. You really do have to have reached the place where you cannot face the thought of starting another diet on monday only to quit by friday, binge all weekend and start again on monday.

I have also read "beyond chocolate" which is another awesome book on the same subject. I found it a year ago, and even though it made good sense, my 15 years dieting history made me not completely trust it would work for me. If only I had just gone with their advice straight away and not spent another year trying to lose weight the dieting way, I would now already be where I want to be.

I really am ready now. I have re-read beyond chocolate and have now also read overcome overeating and I am completely 100% ready and willing to leave the dieting industry behind forever and sort out my terrible relationship with food once and for all.

This book will really sort your issues with your food and weight out if you let it. :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars if addiction is your problem and your not too overweight ...not a great book, 3 Dec 2011
I started reading this book with an open mind however the writting style is abit too 'american enthusiastic' almost exagerated. Some of the cases studies are described as when struggling with thier binges to gain 10 pounds in a week or something along thouse lines....how is that possible? Everything just sounds rather over enthusiastic and exagerated which from the start made me doubt the book. I gave it a try but the sheer attidue of eating anything and everything made me worry...I couldnt stop! Some might argue that subconciously I hadnt fully excepted the idea of never going on a diet again or excepting the book, but thats very hard to do. I can see this book has helped many people but its definately aimed at people who are masively overweight as the trial period of binging wont make too much of a difference to thier already overweight situation if they gain more. However I am not particularly overweight, I just have a binge eating problem. I go on the binge diet cycle constantly and what im looking for is something that can help get rid of this addictive out of control mind set which makes me feel physically and mentally awful. If I continued the way I was with this book I would have gained alot of weight and it would become so noticible on my frame and all it did was give me anxiety. Another point with this book is it doesnt go into much detail with understanding the emotional side to people eating patters. I stress eat, comfort eat and it almost gave me the impression that everything was caused because of food restriction and not for other reasons which for many people is not the case.