4.0 out of 5 stars It identifies a wealth of clues for understanding people.
Published on 25 Oct. 2000 by Magus

2.0 out of 5 stars Common sense and vague generalities
Published on 28 Jun. 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars It identifies a wealth of clues for understanding people., 25 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behaviour Anytime, Anyplace (Paperback)
The author of this book (Jo-Ellan Dimitrus) spends her life analysing people to see whether they make a good juror for varying kinds of cases. She has selected jurors for high profile cases such as the OJ Simpson, Rodney King & Richard Ramirez court hearings. What she has done is take her model for working, expanded on it & made it available to us so that we can understand our family, our friends & our colleagues better. This book is not just about reading body language & vocal cues but it teaches you what things to look out for - clues into understanding people, from where they live, what they have on their desks at work, what they wear, to the kind of company they keep. It also has a chapter devoted to asking the right questions so as to help you get a clearer picture of the person you are trying to analyse. It is a very comprehensive book & well worth a read. After reading it I thought that alot of what she says is common sense BUT the fact was that I had not made the connections myself & it only became common sense after reading through the pages. It has two Apendices in the back which highlight: 1. The physical traits & what they reveal. 2. Body language & what it reveals. I must admit that this is one of the better book I have read around the topic of body language as it is more than just that. The sub-title of the book is "Secret tips that reveal the truth behind body language" & basically that is what it is all about!

2.0 out of 5 stars Common sense and vague generalities, 28 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
Jo-Ellan is an interesting lady with an interesting background, but this book was by and large a disappointment. Much of it is common sense stuff that reasonably perceptive people already know. Much of the book reads like this, (my paraphrase) "this characteristic often means this, but sometimes means this and sometimes means this and sometimes means this, etc,. don't take this characteristic at face value until you get to know the person over some period of time and check out all these other characteristics before deciding what the original characteristic means". I'm sorry but this is way too vague and inprecise to qualify as a "secret tip that will change your life". The book oversells and underdelivers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but irritating, 2 Jun. 2011
T. Cartwright (UK) - See all my reviews
There is some good information in this book, but as others have said, you do find yourself skipping pages. It's sort of like talking to your mother on the phone; crystal clear concepts will be repeated till you're thoroughly bored but you know she'll get round to the point of the conversation eventually so you still have to pay attention somewhat. I've heard more concise and focused things expressed by drunk stoners than this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok book, 30 Dec. 2006
This book wasn't as stimulating as my other book on body language by Allan Pease. Infact I found myself flicking the pages to find something of real interest that would make me think 'wow I never knew that!' There are lots of references to jury selection based on the principals discussed which I found a bit irritating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get what you want out of relationships - read the book, 14 July 1998
By A Customer
This book is a thorough and concise guide to learning to appreciate people for who they are. It is not packed full of revelations - but supports common sense, (too rare these days), coupled with intuition and fact finding. In childhood, we are taught that it's rude to ask too many questions of people - so we fail to gather the proper information to form opinions. This book teaches us to gather and store facts and develop relationships based on reality and not perception.
The true value of this book is to translate the information and perform a self-evaluation. Unless you are dead you should be constantly growing, changing and moving forward. Reading this helped me out of lethargy and into action!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read in an non-academic style, 10 Mar. 2014
Jo-Ellan Dimitrius Ph.D studied to various degrees psychology, sociology, physiology and criminology and she is an expert in 'People Reading Skills' for jury selection. She has been used for jury selection in famous criminal cases, so she tells us (Rodney King, Richard Ramirez).

The book covers subjects such as: Discovering Patterns Reading Physical Apperance and Body Language, Seeing People in Context, Learning to Ask the Right Questions, Spotting Exceptions to the Rules, The Power of Intuition, How others Reading You, Having to make snap decisions.

Rather than in pure academic style, the book is written for the non-academic reader and easy to understand. There are many examples in every chapter which makes it an interesting read. Most of her examples come from her practice in jury selection, but she says that her advice can be used for anything in daily life where we have to 'read' people, for example people you are working with in the office, employing a baby sitter for the evening, possible partners. One of the recurring theme is that whatever you may think or infer from certain signs / behaviour, there could always be different reasons. So this 'Reading People' thing is not that easy and always open to interpretation. For example, imagine the boss who has pictures of his wife/children and children's drawings in his office. One can infer that this person is very much family oriented and does a lot with his children. Or maybe he isn't and just wants to give the impression that he is. Or maybe it's not even his family pictures, because he may just be using someone else's office for the week.

Some of the things are very obvious, such as slurred speech for for alcohol and drug use. Red eyes, bags under the eyes - but his could also be completely innocent, but could not be. The book passed one important 'test' for me: I like to cross my arms across my chest. In many books I read on similar topics, it is always said that this is a clear sign of the person being a 'closed' person, doesn't want to let anybody in and is probably trying to hide something. From my personal experience - rubbish. I like sitting that way because I'm usually always cold! The author does recognise this.

Did I learn anything groundbreakingly new? Probably not. I suppose it did make me more aware of people around me and signs they can give out. However, nothing is written in stone, so a particular thing could mean this or that or nothing at all. So it's up to your own observing and investigating skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginners book..., 17 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This book is not bad if you are a novice in the subject. As someone has already pointed out if you are someone who has more than a basic knowledge of the subject then this book is probably not for you...
Personally I found the book very interesting an a real insight into the world of psychology, with good examples taken from everyday life to present the points.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, duh., 27 July 1998
By A Customer
I suppose it was my own fault for being lured by the marketing touts of this book:
"how to know if your date is interested in a serious relationship"
"how to tell a person's sincerity"
"how to make snap decisions that make sense"
I sure that Dr. Dimitrius is a very compelling and charming woman, but to be honest, the expose she was determined to avoid would have probably been more interesting and informative than this book. Anyone should know that there is no "secret" to "unlock" about people reading. It is just a matter of being around people enough to learn to observe the right signs. This is pretty much what she says in her book . . . over and over and over . . .
So, if you want 281 pages of common sense and suggestions to do more research, check this book out from your local library. Take your kids to the museum with the money you would have spent on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative but a bit boring, 21 May 2011
Perhaps I should have read this book first and then Navarro's "What every body is saying", as in the latter I enjoyed seeing actual depictions of what was being said, whereas in this book it's just talk and talk. It's interesting, though.

3.0 out of 5 stars May be helpful as a basic reference book, 12 July 1998
By A Customer
This is probably not the most helpful, indepth book I have read about interpreting human behaviour, but it certainly does provide suggestions all of us may use to improve relationships and better understand those around us (particularly the chapters on how to become a better listener!). The appendices at the end of the book are interesting to examine, even if one does this for "entertainment" purposes alone. I believe the authors were aiming for an easily read and under- stood guide, which is what this book is. (Perhaps some of us would have liked a more sophisticated delivery and fund of information?)