5.0 out of 5 stars UPLIGHTING AND INSPIRING STORIES OF LIFE'S LESSONS
Published on 26 Mar 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Sentimental (And That's Being Nice)
Published on 19 Feb 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Sentimental (And That's Being Nice), 19 Feb 1997
By A Customer
Perhaps, I am too cynical. Perhaps, I have lost my innocence. But once again, I picked up a book, I thought might reach deeper, might have meaning . . . but alas, I found a book that made happiness and meaningfulness seem easy, too easy. I didn't buy it. This book tries so hard to please that it smacks of a cheesy attempt to make money on a public truly searching for meaning. Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful stories in here but too often they are surrounded by those quick anecdotes about someone who would have comitted suicide if a stranger hadn't said I love you to them on the bus and now their life is wonderful. Or Big Ed who after one seminar finally learned to love his wife and ended-up executive vice-president. To me, this book makes me wonder why I have such a difficult time changing my life and finding true happiness. It seems so easy to these people. If you lower your expectations, feel free to read this book, you'll find a few gems. If you want short stories filled with more depth try Anthony de Mello's One Minute Nonsense or Song of the Bird. And if you are truly looking for books that will get you thinking about the meaning of it all go try John Irving's Prayer for Owen Meany or David James Duncan's River Why or Daniel Quinn's Ishmael. I found this book to be less like Chicken Soup and more like lifesavers. They sound good and taste good, but if you are really hungry they do not come close to filling you up.

5.0 out of 5 stars UPLIGHTING AND INSPIRING STORIES OF LIFE'S LESSONS, 26 Mar 1997
By A Customer
This is one of the most inspiring books and I read in some time. The author does a wonderful job of compiling the stories from other authors. After reading these stories you are left with a genuine feeling of inspiration to either become a better individual or look at life from a different perpective. My nine year old daughter was especially moved by this book when I read several stories to her. She was immediately hooked and this became a nightly ritual at bedtime, until the book was finished. She she stiIl enjoys reading the stories over and to other people. I recommend this book highly because it makes you take a closer look at yourself and evaluate what's really important. This should definitely be in everyone's personal library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christians Beware, 19 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Overall, I'm pleased to see this sort of book gain popular acceptance in a world that seems to be getting more cynical and weary every day. There is a lot of merit and encouragement to be found in this book, and most of it is well worth reading.
However, the authors also shoehorned some pretty "out there" New Age material into the book (magical healing powers of the hands, humanism, etc.) I was really taken by surprise to find some of this stuff in the midst of such otherwise positive and morally strong material.
But the rest of the book is still very much worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity restored!, 15 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Chicken Soup For The Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Paperback)
When I first was introduced to the legacy of 'Chicken Soup' books I was some what unconvinced. You know the old story of just another mind, spirit and make yourself feel happy book. But, I purchased this book and took it back to England with me and wow. The stories restore the act of humanity in me. If it could change my views then why not yours. This is a 'must read' for everyone from about 16 to 100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have the tissues handy:, 8 Jun 2000
By A Customer
A real heart-wrenching, joy bringing, humbling, up-lifting book that you will read over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Nov 2014
More heartwarming and uplifting stories - bought as a gift and much appreciated.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 3 Mar 2011
Having seen Jack Canfield in 'The secret', I thought I would have a look at this book, which was shown in the background of the movie.

I was expecting a whole lot more - this seems to be a collection of very sentimental anecdotes, put together rather randomly and in a very indifferent style of writing. I actually couldn't finish it, it was so banal. There is no overall message, and the book's purpose is not clear. Gave it to a charity shop within days. I'll stick with Abraham-Hicks in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 8 Dec 2008
Ms. P. Amara (London) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book to read a few stories from when you're a bit down! It really lifts you up and reminds you of the true meaning of life. I'd recommend this to anyone to buy.

I wouldn't personally read it all the way through in one go (although you can if you want...). It's more something to read a few chapters from, just to lift you out of the winter blues and bring a little warmth back into your soul!

5.0 out of 5 stars These books made me laugh,cry,and filled my heart with hope, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
These books have been an inspiration,they've helped me though the hard times.They made me see that I'm not the only one to have problems.The youth group that I'm invoeved in at my church do stories from the books for prayer,talks and alot of other things.I have nine or ten of the chicken soup books.I love every single one of them.They've been truly an inspiration to me and lots of others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enriching, 1 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Light-hearted, sad, funny, enjoyable, wonderful, likeable, tasty, rich, depressing, uplifting and all together wonderful. You name it, they've got it. If one wants to see life open up into beauty and enjoyment - it's just the turn of a page!
I enjoyed this book because it had some very special stories that hit the bottom of my heart, my stomach, my toes and gave me goose pimples all over!