5.0 out of 5 stars A quick way to learn one of lifes most important lessons
This book was given to me to read when I was younger - I must have been in my early 20's and going through a very rough patch in my life at the time, and a friend gave me it to read. And I give it 5 stars not because it's a brilliant read, but because of the important lessons it contains and the way it helped me out of a dark place.

It's a very simple book -...
Published on 29 April 2010 by The Truth

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the 'mature' among you!
If you have never experienced change, particularly change you weren't expecting, or change which took something important away, then this book will highlight the basics, and I mean the basics, of what you will need to be resilient, find a new path and a positive attitude again. That's if you can put up with the cheese-laden story on the way (the good news is that the...
Published on 15 Nov 2012 by Carolyn Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 339 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life (Paperback)
Generally I believe there are to sides to this book, neither positive.

Firstly it appears that it takes Dr Johnson 94 pages to convey the message :
"If something bad and unexpected happens in your life do not overanalyse things and if you cannot change them, move on"

Well to begin with I would argue that if you need to read a book to find out that if you loose a job you should go apply for another one, probably that is a hint why you lost your job in the first place.

Secondly, however, and what I believe to be a lot worse is that he appears to overlook that people (or littlepeople as he refers to them in his book), as opposed to mice, have a brain and are thus capable of analysing things in order to find out if they are just, fair or reasonable.
And if they are not they can (and should) speak up in order to establish an atmosphere of democracy.
Coping with whatever "changes" others are confronting you with appears quite dictatorial, especially since changes tend to be forced on you from "up the ladder".

The good news is the book is written in point size 14 and 15 or so pages are filled with fairly redundant pictures, so at least you wont waste too much time on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Cheese will give you constipation!, 22 Nov 2004
Liam Lawlor (Mountjoy, Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
I thought I had seen it all with the One-Minute Manager School of BS Management but 'Who Moved my Cheese' sets new levels. A reality is created where mice/rats represent people and cheese represents salary and wages. Management feed on the anxiety of the rats by taking away their cheese (No wonder the Dilbert HR character is represented by a cat) but the rats who respond most positively to managements psychological 'game', are rewarded with chesse. It's very cheesy, very American, very condescending and very well stacked in favor of management. Dreadful, American, overhyped but well marketed BS - AVOID

5.0 out of 5 stars Managing Change, 4 Jun 2011
Who Moved My Cheese is a delightful little book which uses a group of mice chasing after cheese to explain how one has to be proactive and accept change and move with it, grow with it and allow change to affect our future for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it's weight in Gold, 24 July 2003
S. Moseley (Warrington,, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book was life changing for my husband and me. Reading it had a huge impact on us as we identified strongly with the little people in regard to a particular situation with our business. Taking onboard the principles imparted by this book gave us the courage to make a huge change to the business, involving major financial investment. Fear of financial ruin had stopped us from making these changes before, but this book helped us to see that not making the changes would in themselves be disastrous.

We read this book nearly 2 years ago. Since making the changes turnover has more than doubled from the previous year.

Whether you find this book daft and childish or worth its weight in gold will I think depend entirely on whether or not you apply it's principles to your life.

We have recommended this book to others numerous times since we read it and I can honestly say, if I could only read one business book my entire life, this would be it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little book, 31 Aug 2006
Steve Lauder (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
The thing I liked about this book is that it doesn't take more than a couple of hours to read, meaning you can get everything the book has to offer in one sitting. On the negative side, this book really doesn't have that much to offer compared to others in this field.

The last metaphorically written, life-changing book I read was 'Way of the Dog' by Geoff Burch. It's a bigger book because there's a bigger message to take in and, for me, it had a far more profound effect on my thinking than 'Who Moved My Cheese'.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Most Ridiculous Book!, 13 Nov 2000
By A Customer
I was surprised when I saw so many laudatory reviews on this silly, poorly produced book, which only offers trite advice on the necessity of change in our lives. It is guaranteed to appeal to [] managers... and to insult the intelligence of all other employees, who are depicted as brainless mice or merely the "littlepeople". The "Discussion" section is nothing but marketing hype...
However, if you are interested in spending your time and money wisely on a very well produced book, which offers witty, satirical humor and sharp business life insights, then "Management by Vice, A Humorous Satire on R&D Life in a Fictitious Company" by C.B. Don is highly recommended instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple look at attitude to change, 2 Dec 2006
This book is a simple look at the attitudes to change of the four characters. The implication is that you may wish to map your (or your colleagues') attitude to change onto those of the characters and predict the outcome. Although this is an excellent introduction to the subject of change, it is only a taster for this fascinating subject. I rate it as a four because it gives newcomers that "taste" that may bring them to read further into the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpfull read, 25 April 2014
A book I gave my daughter to boost her mind after her husband walked out on his little family. She did say
that it had helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever; Use It To Your Advantage, 5 April 2013
I can understand those who have said this book can seem incredibly patronising and insulting to the reader, but it really depends on the situation of said reader as well as their ability (or willingness) to take on board what is being said.

The individual has to use their own comparative method; read the scenarios and blend them with their own.

For a very small price, it's helpful if you're stuck in a psychological rut, but rid yourself of any ignorance towards it beforehand to truly feel the benefit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who made me laugh?, 29 Jan 2013
I was browsing in Waterstone's and came across this book. Before I realised it, I'd read it in the shop - it's honestly that short!

Others have already summed up the book better than I can but in my opinion the pages are bloated out to make one main statement:
If something dramatic changes in your life then don't wait around hoping it will resolve itself. It usually won't, so deal with it and move on.

That's it really, and I promise you, you won't get any more specific guidance in the book.

I was going to give this book 1 star because I do believe it's overrated and overpriced, but I've given it 2 stars because it's created some of the most amusing book reviews I've read - from the critical element of course.

It does make me smile when I think that the more people are offended by a product the more effort they put in reviewing it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 339 | Next ›