Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2001
This is a very informative and entertaining book; not just for parents who need advice with specific problems but also for parents who are keen to avoid problems before they arrive. The author covers all aspects of successful child rearing in an absolutely no-nonsense, down-to-earth manner. (It's definitely not full of any 'latest-fad', extreme psychoanalyst nonsense!) Surprisingly, this was an extremely entertaining book; the author has an excellent sense of humour, which combined with his experience and ability to observe and understand our little ones' behaviour results in some classic examples of observations. Every topic you could imagine (and a few you didn't think of!) is included. Multiple solutions are offered to problems and all are workable and straightforward. The wisdom this man imparts is impressive but he maintains a modest stance. He does not lay blame and guilt on any parent's doorstep, but understanding and some damn good suggestions. There are no perfect parents, just many of us who want to do our best for our children and this book is a good friend. It's supportive, only slightly critical in a constructive manner, full of sound advice within your limits to achieve, experienced, humorous and available. Unfortunately children don't come with an Owners' Guide, this is the nearest and best you' find. Happy parenting!
0Comment| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2000
As per Toddler Taming, Christopher Green has surpassed himself with sound practical advise written in such a way so as to amuse the reader but also leaving them in no doubt that they are normal parents with normal children. He includes some very reassuring yet surprising advice - e.g. it is OK to bribe your kids into good behaviour! My Toddler Taming book is dog eared and ragged from age and reading it so often - I assume this book will have the same the same fate!
on 17 April 2000
This is simply the book to have if you have kids.Already i have identified problems peculiar to my situation { the whinging child being one} and have found excellent and workable advice on how to deal with situations. It can also affirm where you have been getting it right and! where you went hopelessly wrong!
on 20 May 2000
Christopher Green made me feel human with Toddler Taming, some things he said were so obvious you just don't see them and I can only comment that this book has made me feel human once again - having not known what to do with my 3 yr olds tantrums. Definitely the only book I recommend to everyone interested or involved with kids!
on 15 April 2009
I bought this book as it came highly recommended and I have two children within the age range. I wanted a book that could give advice on positive parenting as I seemed to be turning into a bit of a nag and was so tired of hearing the sound of my own voice!!

A lot of the book is basic common sense really when you think of it eg treat your children the way you would like to be treated yourself. However, Dr Green gives the advice in a practical, reassuring manner that can also give the reader a laugh. I have been reading the book off and on since I bought it and I would highly recommend it to anyone. As Dr Green says in his introduction 'I can't promise a smooth ride, but I hope I can help you avoid some of the bumps'. Here here!!
on 23 December 2015
There are plenty of helpful books for the under five age group. We needed a reaffirming book for the next stage. This is a great book full of common sense tips given with a sense of humour. I read the book in a couple of days and have found it brilliant.
on 16 December 2006
This book has been and still is my Bible for keeping track of changes in my children. It is written with great sense of humour, gives practical advice without exaggeration, and I highly recommed it.
on 26 July 2013
I'm already a fan of Christopher Green's Toddler Taming, so bought this book to follwo on from it.

As with the first book, it's written in a very readable, down-to-earth and even humorous style, but contains lots of very useful advice.

In the first chapters of the book, Green explores the psychology of this age-group and explains clearly why primary-age children misbehave. He discusses the benefits of rewards and how to discipline bad behaviour without getting into a screaming match/nagging session.

The next section focusses on specific behaviour problems and potential areas of worry or conflict, from thumb sucking through bike riding to nightmares and social problems. The topics are arranged alphabetically with an index at the start of the section, and each is dealt with in turn. Following this are separate chapters on more complex issues - starting school, ADHD, sibling conflict, diet and exercise, death, sex, divorce... it's all here!

All the advice is supported by graphs, tables, charts and data where relevant, and there's a full index at the back so you can look up specific issues easily.

I find this book a practical, reassuring and useful one - as someone who is inclined to both yell and nag I need reminding that there are better ways to get my daughter to co-operate. It's also brilliant for looking up specific questions and worries you might have. I highly recommend it.
on 5 February 2015
A very well written book, which manages to convey useful information in a clear and humorous way.A very useful book for anybody involved in looking after children,giving insight into all areas of child development and an understanding of their behaviours and how an adult should react and relate to the children in there care.
on 22 March 2014
Dr. Green helped me through those early years with my kids. I love his approach, he writes to real parents, who have real emotional responses and sometimes react in undesirable ways. This book continues from Toddler Taming and reiterates the importance of staying connected to your children. This is the only parenting book that I have read and truly embraced.