5.0 out of 5 stars Words of wisdom
This is a very informative and entertaining book; not just for parents who need advice with specific problems but also for parents who are keen to avoid problems before they arrive. The author covers all aspects of successful child rearing in an absolutely no-nonsense, down-to-earth manner. (It's definitely not full of any 'latest-fad', extreme psychoanalyst nonsense!)...
Published on 20 May 2001 by J. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense
This book is an easy read with great humor. However if you are looking for pratical advice keep looking. I thought the toddler taming was brilliant and so decided to buy this. I was dissapointed. The best advice was to treat your children with respect to get it back. Unless your child has a specific problem such as adhd I wouldn't really recommend it. It is well written...
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by frazz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Parental Guide in the World...Ever!, 26 Jan 2009
Mrs. M. Sansom "jasper2440" (northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond Toddlerdom: Keeping five- to twelve- year-olds on the rails (Paperback)
Having read quite a few books about raising children, I was expecting the same old theory with no practical advice. However, this book is full of useful strategies in dealing with your child. It is written with humour and acknowledges that no parent is perfect and doesn't expect you to be. Dr Green ensures that, when you have finished reading, you are better equipped to deal with everything from thumb sucking to divorce.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but repetitive, 28 July 2014
The book repeats itself quite a lot and it it sometimes quite difficult to navigate to the information you need. That said, there is some very good advice in the book . I've already put into practice some of the ideas with my 6yo and at the moment they appear to be helping, in that the frequency of her temper tantrums are less :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really motivational, 7 July 2014
The book spends an awful lot of effort explaining what a parent could expect from a AVERAGE child of a certain age, and how wide this AVERAGE spectrum is. Most importantly, this explanation is viewed from the child's perspective. Found this amazingly motivational and really calming when I am close to tearing my hair out because my child won't listen to me....

5.0 out of 5 stars I 💗 Dr. Green, 22 Mar 2014
Dr. Green helped me through those early years with my kids. I love his approach, he writes to real parents, who have real emotional responses and sometimes react in undesirable ways. This book continues from Toddler Taming and reiterates the importance of staying connected to your children. This is the only parenting book that I have read and truly embraced.

5.0 out of 5 stars always learning, 24 Feb 2014
I bought this book for my son and daughter in law to help them I found it very good also really good condition

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book, 11 Jan 2014
I would recommend this book as it helped me with certain areas I was struggling to manage with my 7 year old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good practical book, 22 Oct 2013
We have Dr Green's toodler book also. This book is similar in style and layout. Really helpful and easy to read with lots of practical advice and reassurance. You can easily dip in and out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 3 Sep 2013
Harry B (Winchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This book provides a useful shoulder to lean on when the kids are driving you mad. It is all common sense but it is nice to find out that your kids are not abnormal, that you are not doing everything wrong, and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and supportive!, 29 July 2013
We were I'd some issues developing in the step-family of our son and this book has shown us exactly how to deal with it......but not made us feel bad about it.. Win-win situation. Would recommend it to anyone with kids, not just those from broken homes. I wish it had been around when my marriage broke up a couple of decades ago

5.0 out of 5 stars More sensible, useable advice, 26 July 2013
I'm already a fan of Christopher Green's Toddler Taming, so bought this book to follwo on from it.

As with the first book, it's written in a very readable, down-to-earth and even humorous style, but contains lots of very useful advice.

In the first chapters of the book, Green explores the psychology of this age-group and explains clearly why primary-age children misbehave. He discusses the benefits of rewards and how to discipline bad behaviour without getting into a screaming match/nagging session.

The next section focusses on specific behaviour problems and potential areas of worry or conflict, from thumb sucking through bike riding to nightmares and social problems. The topics are arranged alphabetically with an index at the start of the section, and each is dealt with in turn. Following this are separate chapters on more complex issues - starting school, ADHD, sibling conflict, diet and exercise, death, sex, divorce... it's all here!

All the advice is supported by graphs, tables, charts and data where relevant, and there's a full index at the back so you can look up specific issues easily.

I find this book a practical, reassuring and useful one - as someone who is inclined to both yell and nag I need reminding that there are better ways to get my daughter to co-operate. It's also brilliant for looking up specific questions and worries you might have. I highly recommend it.

Beyond Toddlerdom: Keeping five- to twelve- year-olds on the rails
Beyond Toddlerdom: Keeping five- to twelve- year-olds on the rails by Dr Christopher Green (Paperback - 2 Mar 2000)
8.39