on 30 August 2009
This book was published in 1996 but not in the slightest bit outdated.

Not only does this book have a lovely introduction Liz Earle goes into great detail about Natural beauty in history including egyption lips, the wig revolution, war time remedies and much much more.

She follows on with a chapter on getting started, describing useful equipment, storage tips, hygiene hitns, allergy testing, raw materials including descriptions of their benifits, followed by the botanical chapter again listing all the herbs etc and thier benefits.

This takes us to page 74 and the fun begins, from cold cream cleansers, soaps, face masks and packs, scar tissue lotions, antiseptic lotions, aftershaves, moisturisers, anti aging creams and the traditional puffy eye remedy.

This book has everything, some of the remedies are common sense like the previously mentioned puffy eye remedy but this book is a treasure, you can even make your own shampoo

highly recommended
on 16 July 2011
A great little book by Liz Earle, full of information; a brief history of skincare, information on botanicals and essential oils, skincare and bodycare tips and loads and loads of excellent recipes (cleansers, toners, moisturisers, exfoliators, body scrubs, lotions and more!). No pictures, just lots of useful information. Most of the recipes can be created easily from basic ingredients. Excellent!
on 17 March 2013
I bought this old book very cheap but I am glad I did because it contains very easy to make, mostly cheap recipes of natural beauty products. I still have to find some of the ingredients but many of the recipes will be made with what I have in my pantry. There are recipes for Cleansers and Skin Tonics, Problem Solvers and Skin Savers, Moisturizers and Skin Creams, Anti-agers, Bath and Body Care, Hand and Food care, Herbal Hair Care, a Glossary, a reasonably good Index, a chapter about Essential Oils (could be a bit more comprehensive as Liz gives hints about what you can use them for but doesn't really explain how you should use them). In the beginning there is also a chapter about the ingredients you will need so that you know what the author is talking about without having to Google every less usual ingredient, how you can test for allergies and a bit of history of natural beauty. The chapter where she describes all the herbs is also very interesting!

There are a few things I am not sure of like the use of lanolin, which doesn't seem to be that good for the skin but we have to remember that this book was written in 1993. Her dislike of the sun can also be traced to the 90's. Now we know how important the sun if for our health, back then we thought that we should avoid it at all cost, which lead to many people, especially children, to get all kinds of health problems, sometimes very severe. The ozone layer, which back then seemed to be depleted, seems to have greatly regenerated itself. Advising people to use a sun block is not at all a good thing but then we should read this book keeping in mind that it was written quite a while ago.

Other than that it is a really interesting book and I can't wait to start putting some of these recipes in practice! In fact I will start today and maybe update this review in a while including some of my favorite recipes! And I might even buy the new edition in the hope that Liz has included new tips and recipes! If she reads this review maybe she wouldn't mind getting in touch with me?
on 23 September 2013
I HAVE MOST OF LIZ EARLES BOOKS AND THIS HAS PLENTY OF INFORMATION AND DETAILS OF HEALTH ISSUES ETC;GOOD READ