4.0 out of 5 stars Back on Form
Published on 4 Sep 2010 by Grouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the previous book but a long way from his best
Was a bit disappointed in this book, even though Tom Sharpe is heading back to his previous form. It had all the makings of a "Wilt" story, but the humour is just not the same as it used to be. Maybe I've grown up a bit since the first Wilt episode and I have changed... If you are a Tom Sharpe fan its worth buying, but not up to the standard of the previous Wilt books.
Published on 3 Aug 2011 by Lady H.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on Form, 4 Sep 2010
Grouse (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wilt Inheritance: (Wilt Series 5) (Hardcover)
I have to say it was with some trepidation that I pre-ordered this book, having been disappointed by Mr. Sharpe's previous book, The Gropes. Like that one, I also finished this the day I received it and I am pleased to say it was a highly enjoyable read. Much like "Wilt in Nowhere" it's definitely a more "gentle" book, relative to the first 3 in the Wilt series. The usual elements are all there - dodgy landed gentry, incompetence in the academic professions, overbearing wives and out-of-control offspring, plus a good helping of violence and death. It is also interesting to see how Sharpe, who did most of his writing 30+ years ago, incorporates contemporary elements into this book. It doesn't have quite the same hilarious comedy of the earlier books but I don't think they can ever be matched. All in all a good addition to a series that started all the way back in 1976.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember when you first read Wilt, 10 April 2012
I've read all the reviews, good & bad and I have to say that those who give this book a low mark should think a little deeper. The only thing that's changed is us. Tom Sharpe's writing style has not changed in all these years, to really appreciate this book you need to transport yourself back to the 80s and remember what made you laugh at all his other books back then. Try watching "The Young Ones" or "Aufweiderzein Pet" today, I bet you don't laugh as much as you did the first time around.....I have to admit, this book wasn't particularly funny until I got myself into the zone. Once there, I couldn't stop laughing...Just like I did the very first time I read his books

2.0 out of 5 stars How are the mighty fallen, 3 Sep 2011
What a huge let down. Where is the hilarious humour that had me lying helpless on the floor unable to breathe for laughing. Ever since I read Riotous Assembly many years ago Tom Sharpe has given me, my father and my brothers such pleasure. Even when we would discuss the books between us we would all fall victim to uncontrollable helpless laughter. Sadly this book has left me cold. I did not laugh once during my reading of it.
Maybe he needs the money and is just going through the motions. Oh for the return of Constable Els, what a hero he was to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the previous book but a long way from his best, 3 Aug 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars I think I picked the wrong one, 5 July 2011
Tom Sharpe, the legend. I finally thought I would pick one up and inspired by a trip to Daunt books - I gave it a whirl.

Oops - it seems I made a mistake.
Wilt Inheritance seems like the authors requirement to knock out a book for a publisher by a certain deadline. The book lacks any kind of flow, although the earlier stages are slightly better than the last third which seems like it was rushed through whilst in the taxi on the way to the publishers.

This book lacks any kind of character development, flow and most importantly for a comedy - wit. Sharpe seems to be trying his hand at modern comedy, looking at modern stereotypes, and modern family problems but misses the mark by some distance.

But the worst thing about this book, is the last third. It requires the reader to lose all cognitive thought as it races through a series of events without any depth or tact; most of it ludicrously absurd. There is an attempt at a shock and perhaps a twist, but it is so badly done that you barely notice it or even care. In fact, the ending is so bad, that I actually laughed out loud at the level of stupidity you must need to be to get drawn in.

I was thoroughly disappointed with this book. The original Wilt book was first published in 1976 and is widely considered to be brilliant. This book seemed like an author trying to morph into contemporary times but failing. It just did not resonate at all.

I have just ordered Wilt the original and hopefully I will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars It could have been worse (now there's thundering praise!), 21 Jun 2011
I'm a huge fan of the early Sharpe novels - the first 2 Wilts, and the 2 SA novels were stupendously good and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. The other older books were hit and miss, but they at least had a density of story to them which the last Wilt (before this one) lacked, being both without humour and very short.

This one is unfortanately cut from the same cloth as Wilt in Nowhere - short & entirely lacking in humour - but was a somewhat better read, which just about earns it a 2nd star. As delighted as I was to see another Wilt book available, it's really a pale shadow of the originals. It's not a particularly bad book, but it's not a particularly good one either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can publishers be sued under the Trade Descriptions Act?, 6 Jun 2011
Despite the hype on the cover, I found it neither irresistible nor side-splitting. This wasn't funny or even mildly amusing. As a long-time fan of Tom Sharpe I found myself wondering if someone had just been copying his style from a collection of notes. Perhaps at nearly 90 it is time to consider stopping so that his loyal followers are not left feeling saddened and disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars bit of a return to form, 6 Jun 2011
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a bit of a return to form after the very disappointing "Gropes", but it is a very short book, Just over 300 pages and in quite large type-face. It is amazing that Tom Sharpe, at the age of 83 is still able to produce the goods, although The Wilt Inheritance, while pleasingly diverting, will not be remembered with the same affection as his earlier novels.

Here we have the usual ingredients, Over-bearing women, outrageous characters and utter mayhem. Wilt is forced by his wife to take a summer job teaching a half-wit History, while his wife and their four vile daughters get a free holiday on the grounds of the estate where Wilt will be teaching. Cue a magistrate with an obsession for fat women, a psychotic teenager and a nymphomaniac coming up against the members of the Wilt family.

So not bad, but not one of the classic Sharpe novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fizzles, fades and wilts ..., 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Wilt Inheritance: (Wilt Series 5) (Hardcover)
Sharpe's Wilt books are always a little slow to get going but eventually they build to a huge rollicking farce to have you rolling around with laughter.

This one is a little slow to get going, and it builds towards a peak, but then fizzles, fades and wilts. Sharpe's readers have moved on. What used to be edgy and racy, and what the Wilts goggle at in this book, now hardly raises an eyebrow. The plot is laboured and it lacks that cutting humour of the earlier books.

If you like the earlier Wilts, go with those - this one is better avoided.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Wilt Inheritance, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Wilt Inheritance: (Wilt Series 5) (Hardcover)
I have read the majority of Tom Sharpe's work and laughed out loud while doing so. However I am very sorry to say that I feel this book will disappoint Tom Sharpe fans like me. Gone are the cleverly intertwined events that build up to the inevitable side splitting comic crescendos. The attempted comic moments in this latest work are awkward, overly contrived, bland and very flat. If you haven't yet read any Tom Sharpe treat yourself to one of his earlier works (Riotous Assembly & Wilt to name but two). If you have read Tom Sharpe and like his work ... stop here, this book will break the comic spell. The edition I have, I now note on the back cover has not one line of praise for the work itself. It only has just praise for the author himself. Very telling when the publisher can't find anyone with a good word for the book.

The Wilt Inheritance: (Wilt Series 5)
The Wilt Inheritance: (Wilt Series 5) by Tom Sharpe (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2010)