4.0 out of 5 stars A terrific Tudor tale., 5 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: I am Mary Tudor (Paperback)
This is the first book in a trilogy that details the life of Mary Tudor, daughter to Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. It tells of her early life from her childhood, through her father's various marriages to her brother's reign and the attempt to put Jane Grey on the throne.
A cracking novel that really showed the harsh early life that Mary had to endure. The popular characters of Tudor England are seen through Mary's eyes as she tries to maintain not only her faith but her feelings for her bully of a father.
I am really looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the effort, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: I am Mary Tudor (Paperback)
It took a little while for me to get into this book but I am so glad I persevered. This seems to be a very factual portrayal of historical fiction and gives a good insight into Mary during her years before becoming Queen.

Mary has a terrible reputation and I think this book gives a plausible account as to how she ended up where she did. The insecurities of her childhood and her constantly falling out of favour with the monarch, be it her father or her brother, are shown to have an effect on both her health and her way of thinking. There are moments when you roll your eyes at Mary's vanity or her belief in how the people love her very much, but as she was raised as a Tudor princess, these moments make sense and are in keeping with the time and her position.

It was the style of writing that took a little time for me to get used to. However, the book creates great imagery of Tudor England and every time I picked up the book, I felt as if I were transported into the past and could feel the atmosphere of the royal houses and of court. Even though this book stays very close to the actual events, it still reads as a great story and not as a dry account. Naturally, the book picks up pace towards the end, as it follows the rapid changes in Mary's life and the suddenness of her assent to power.

I already have the next two books in the trilogy, Mary the Queen and Bloody Mary and can't wait to get started on them and see how events lead Mary away from the promises she made herself at the start of her reign and how she justifies the changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent novel, 1 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: I am Mary Tudor (Hardcover)
This is the first part of a trilogy, written in the first person, and covers the years from Mary's birth to her reaching the throne. Very moving, really good stuff.

I am Mary Tudor
I am Mary Tudor by Hilda Lewis (Hardcover - 25 Oct 1971)
Used & New from: £0.01