4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, in a compact form
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by N. Ryall

1.0 out of 5 stars One huge snag...
I started this book with high expectations as my electronic qualifications were obtained in the days when you knew the equipment was switched on because the valves lit up and I was keen to learn more, but there was one huge snag.

Published on 1 Oct 2008 by Papageno

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, in a compact form, 22 Sep 2010
N. Ryall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
This book is relatively short but the wealth of knowledge is fantastic. Before reading this book I read Electronics for Dummies, and while the "Dummies" book provided a basic introduction to the world of electronics, it didn't really satisfy my hunger for wanting to know how it all worked. This book is about half the size but the quality more than makes up for it. I especially like how it encourages you to experiment throughout the book and then quizzes you (with very well thought out questions) to make sure you understood the topic properly. It explains electronics in a clear but very complete way and after reading this, I feel that I have a much, much stronger understanding of electronics.

Edit:

When I left my review originally, I was half way through and the book seemed to decline in quality from that point. I would still recommend reading this book at some point but first, read Success in Electronics (Successfully Passing Series) as it's much clearer and much more complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Oct 2009
Mr. I. Wilson "Ian" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
I've tried a few introducing electronics type books and found many of them to be pretty un-readable. This one is an exception as it is readable and informative. It's not perfect but it's a useful introduction which is both simple and takes the reader through a thorough grounding in the basics. The hands-on approach which encourages the reader to prove theory to him/her self by bunging components onto a breadboard and sticking a multimeter on them is good for making theory much easier to understand and remember. So much better than much of the competition that I've given it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best first book, 27 Dec 2009
G. Graham (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
Having read one or two "begin electronics" type of books over the years, I'd always come away bamboozled by the maths (my weak spot)and not totally convinced that since I did not want a career in electronics, but just to be able to make some interesting stuff in my spare time, that I *really* needed to know how many "pico thingys equal a mega thingummy when divided by the number you first thought of" anyway, - or that's how it appeared.

Refreshingly, here, the author is not assuming everyone has A-level maths (or the inclination or so little else to do in their lives that they have the time to go away and get one), and that some people might just want to be able to use their multimeter to check a circuit say, rather than go away and do algebra to find out what is happening, or that they might just want to have a general understanding of what is going on. This is great and has finally made the subject accessible to me.

The book tells you about a principle, then shows you how to demonstrate it for real with a few inexpensive parts (which really brings the ideas home to you when you see them occurring from something you have done), then has a quiz at the end of the chapter so you can see if you've grasped things correctly.

Like another reviewer has said, it's the way you wish your teacher had done things.

I've picked things up in minutes from this book that I've seen other books spend hours talking about.

The author has a conversational style, which also helps demystify the subject as he makes you realise that it is NOT rocket science at the level hobby users will use it - whereas it is often presented that way in other books.

I'd recommend this book as a first electronics book for any adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 9 Mar 2009
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
This is a great book. To admit one thing, I knew NOTHING about electronics. Coming from a software development background I wanted to see how the other side worked, and this book did an amazing job at explaining. Nothing could be done to make this book better, its perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars components easily available., 30 July 2010
J. Chambers "rafbod" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
Although I have yet to read the book, I would refute one review where the the reviewer claims that the components are unavailable . I have today (30th July 2010) found all the components listed on E Bay at very reasonable prices.I suspect they are also available elsewhere with a simple search.
The book looks to be very useful to a beginner in electronics, which can be a very scarey subject unless clearly explained.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 18 Feb 2014
Dr Oliver James Egan (Navan, Co. Meath Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
I studied chemistry and physics many years ago and went down the chemistry road as a career, so was looking for a basic electronics book to get a new understanding of this complex subject. I bought this book and found the writing style to be very enjoyable; the subject matter does move along quite quickly and many of the complex fundamentals are omitted so as to gain an easier understanding of the subject. There are a few mistakes throughout the book which did niggle and slow me down a little, but all in all it is a really enjoyable introduction to electronics. I would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and to the point, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
You could start knowing nothing about electronics and end with being able to put circuits together. highly recommended to anyone interested in electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Publication, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
This really is a book for the beginner. It offers information on the basic tools required then guides you through identification and purpose of the various components and methods of construction. Finally explaining Integrated Circuits both Analogue and Digital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Buy, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)
if you wish for an electronic book that's not busy in terms of layout and approach, this your book. It approaches items individually and writes in a step by step manner.

1.0 out of 5 stars One huge snag..., 1 Oct 2008
Papageno (LEEDS, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starting Electronics (Paperback)

When I tried to buy the necessary components I found that nearly all of the semiconductors were no longer available. This was particularly galling because I had made sure that I bought the latest edition (reprinted 2008).

It claims to be a "Highly practical introduction" but fails to live up to its promise as the reader is unable to do most of the practical experiments.

Starting Electronics
Starting Electronics by Keith Brindley (Paperback - 2 Aug 2011)
13.99