5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone

Published 18 months ago by N. Gratton

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 29 Jan 2013
laurel (GODALMING, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play (Paperback)
HAPPY RELATIONSHIPS by Lucy Beresford is a great tool to add to the arsenal of ways to improve your life, and who among us doesn't need that? I have read quite a few 'self-help' books in my day, and the reason I think that some people are put off by them is three-fold: (1) they don't want to admit that there's a 'problem'; (2) they don't want to admit that they are part of the 'problem'; and (3) the 'solutions' often seem daunting and time-consuming, and requiring the embracing of some kind of elusive, new-age enlightenment. If this describes your attitude to such books, then don't be put off this one!

HAPPY RELATIONSHIPS is a refreshingly different take on relationship issues. First, I felt much less pressured by this book than I have by some of the other similar books I've read - with all their talk of serotonin and dual column lists, and cognitive solutions. This book focuses on real problems of real people, and is less about 'fixing' things than about making things better, and making life more liveable and, well... happy. The overtone of the author's compassion shines through - compassion for ourselves as well as the other person. Second, the book is structured to take into account different types of relationships - family, significant other, work, friends, etc. - and unless you are unfortunate enough to suffer from problems in all of these areas, you can, as another review said 'dip in and out' and get instant, tailor-made tips, inspiration, and encouragement that might just make a big difference. Finally, the common theme of 'self' that runs through the analysis of all the different types of relationships was a valuable reminder that in all of our relationships, we must consider ourselves as well as the other person, both in defining the issue and crafting a solution. It's not always possible to change another person, but we still have the power to change our own actions or frame of reference. In summary, this is a book with much wisdom, offered in a refreshing style and format for the modern age. Now, if only I could get my other half to read it...!
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stop reading it!, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play (Paperback)
An engrossing read: a problem is presented, then you read the intriguing, professional solution to it. It's also rather like consulting a therapist yourself, as you recognise the various dilemmas instantly - we all share them. One to keep on your shelf for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good., 28 Jan 2013
Moonshine. "Spara Fugle" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I showed my twenty year old daughter this book and she told me to get some good books. Ah,well, she must be happy.
Lucy Beresford has an upbeat writing style which suits this book. The letters cover eight areas of humanity and give common sense advice on how to deal with different relationships. It doesn't say how to deal with the devil. As I look in the mirror every morning and fall in love with myself all over again that chapter passed me by. It is the type of book that could be held on to for a lifetime and dipped in and out of. It is not airy fairy as she sounds like my mum who was very clever and down to earth. A good read. Recommended for everyone who has a relationship with anybody. Each chapter is summed up at the end which can be referenced without reading the whole chapter. All in all a very pleasant read. I feel happier already.

5.0 out of 5 stars First timer, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play (Paperback)
I decided to read Lucy Beresford's book as I remembered reading a novel by her called 'Something I'm Not' which I thought was really well written and very engaging.

I say this as I am the sort of person who usually only flicks through books with titles like 'Happy Relationships' in the hope of instant inspiration and a quick fix. I don't always want to think too deeply about situations as this can mean change and that sounds like a lot of work.
I am glad I took the plunge this time as I have found this a warm and inviting book. I have dipped in and out of it; using it more as a reference book. It is an easy read and the author's voice makes you feel like you are talking to a friend who knows you really well and isn't going to expose you.

The work place chapter really resonated with me as this can be a difficult area to navigate. It highlighted the fact that I blame myself for lots of situations but importantly how I could make my life easier by being more honest with people; and myself. I like the top tips at the end of the chapters as I could flick to them to remind myself of something without going through the whole chapter. Some of the thoughts and comments seem obvious and simple but this only made me realise that some of my relationships are very happy which is always a good thing.

For a first timer this was a good choice. Not sure I will risk another author just yet though so I am looking forward to seeing what Lucy Beresford writes next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarity of Thought, 17 Jan 2013
Duncurin (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice Book and a good read. Though as part of my review I did my best to read it cover to cover, it is also a book that one could dip into if say one wanted specific advice as to how to deal with a troublesome twin or recalcitrant step-sister. What is beyond doubt is that the author knows her stuff and the letters that she prints, whilst not revealing real names are nevertheless genuinely within her sphere of knowledge and expertise and I do not think she is exaggerating when she hints that she has advised those from the more run-of-the-mill problems right up to those who want to swing from the chandelier dressed as Batman!

Sadly, I expect that the author and her colleagues are busier than ever, and this is one of the undeniable undercurrents of modern society. I am constantly amazed at how selfish and self -centred behaviour dominates many relationships, how children can be used as pawns in a game of mutual destruction and how adults can fail to see what blessings their lives do contain. Children can be either expected to carry the torch for their parent's extreme views or are not taught the necessary skills and given boundaries that will strengthen them in their young lives. There is a temporariness that stalks what should be stable relationships and people believe quite earnestly that if a "speculative" relationship fails then a new one can always be secured. Communication can be an almost forgotten word; and extremely worrying, the number of women who put up with being physically abused in so-called `stable' relationships.

More than this; in order to have happy relationships we need happy people and sadly this too has been displaced by many into areas no longer under their control: so much so that happiness now depends on meeting Cat Deeley, or affording a Porsche or winning the Lottery or in effect anything that we can see when we turn on the telly or open a glossy magazine. This elusive nature of happiness has, as a consequence, convinced so many that happiness is no longer to be found within and so a search begins to find something that becomes more intangible the more one looks!

Though I expect those who need most help will not read this book, those who do delve within will not be disappointed and will be introduced to many strategies to help them cope on all levels with today's tortuous relationships. Many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive and Helpful!, 12 Jun 2013
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I personally found this book very helpful;I initially thought it would help me in my relationships with others,but the very first chapter is called Ourselves,which makes a lot of sense,and that was the one that changed me most.
I was treated very badly as a child,and never allowed to cry or even look sad,so I found the idea of developing compassion for myself,as a vital life skill,quite amazing! I love the way she says,"If we harangued someone in Sainsbury's the way we mentally harangue ourselves,we'd be escorted off the premises."
Lucy points out that,when we're hurting or angry or frustrated,we need to acknowledge this,which I realise will probably be incredibly obvious to most people,but not to me.
She has a Top Tip for managing emotions;try sitting patiently with these feelings to learn that,over time,they lose their intensity.I have never allowed myself to do this,but I have really tried to follow her advice and found it does work.
I am very impressed with this book and would definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this!, 15 Aug 2013
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a sucker for self help type books as I find them genuinely interesting and often pick out the titbits I need for whatever issue I am faced with. I found this book to be very user friendly for a start. It was easier to read than many self help books, it did not patronise or bore me to death during the first chapter. What I really liked was the way that varying relationships had a chapter to themselves, so you could flick to the one of interest to you if you wanted to (in my case a very fraught relationship with my parents). I found the advice and top tips in this book very informative and positive and have certainly given me food for thought in the varying relationships I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 16 May 2013
Pat Campbell (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book was heart-warming and enlightening. It looks at specific relationships and what can happen, how to handle issues and events in a positive way. I think it would certainly be beneficial to many people to read this and learn from it. I like the way the book has been set out and it is very readable.

I guess most of handling and attaining happiness in relationships is balance and we are always learning. This book is full of ideas, examples of issues/problems and tips about coping the best way with events. I think it is a great book and I would definitely be using it in the future as life can throw up some amazing issues and problems!

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful - something for most people, 20 Mar 2013
N. Gratton "Writer & Photographer" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book follows a format of introducing a type of problem, including an 'agony aunt' style letter from someone with an example of that issue, discussing in detail how that individual was helped through a resolution of that problem, then generalising the principles involved in dealing with that kind of issue - finishing with a highlighted key point. This format is repeated for a range of issues within chapters that each focus on a particular type of relationship (parent/child, siblings, friends, workmates and so on).

If you struggle with relationships and then you'll probably find a lot of good here. I only found a few sections relevant but those were still valuable. This is not a relationships 'manual' by any means, but still contains useful material.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really useful read and a guide to life, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play (Paperback)
This is a great book, written in a very accessible style, which give really helpful insights into the way we do (or more likely don't!) manage our relationships. I was impressed by how much I learnt about myself by reading Lucy Beresford's book and how I could improve my relationships right across my life.

Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play
Happy Relationships at Home, Work & Play by Lucy Beresford (Paperback - 1 Jan 2013)