Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2012
I bought this book during my first year in Uni, and used it through to year two when surprisingly my Java lecturer was the author of the book Dr. Aaron Kans. His approach to programming in java is spot on and I can now program skilfully. Word of advise try and do the self exercises as these will give you in-depth practice as they are designed to enforce the topics with practical examples. Must have for anyone who wants to learn to program in Java.
on 16 March 2016
Bought this for my degree in uni to help me learn my Java module. It is the best programming book I have yet to own and read. Starts you off from the beginning and doesn't speak to you like your a monkey, praising you when you've written a hello world program. Man I do not need your praise, I need your knowledge!
Thankfully this is a straight talking Java textbook with walk through's of each section. Even if you just read it and do not do the exercises it will give you a good understanding. Must have for any student struggling with Java...
5 Bananas *
on 17 September 2010
This book is very, very good at tutoring newcomers to the Java programming language. Lots of the skills you learn are transferable to other languages as well.

I have a few complaints about the book: Some of the chapters require chunks of reading and then have hands-on material..I find this approach to be slightly tiresome, personally. However, lots of the chapters are short enough to read through and do the questions with your mind still fresh on the topic you've just read.

The CD is fairly poor, with some of the java source files missing and very limited instructions on how to operate the software included.

Another issue is that you cannot actually access the answers to the self-test questions and programming exercises without being a lecturer, so you will have to ask your lecturer to help you there.

After all, this book is brilliant and well worth the money. I would give it just over four stars despite the flaws mentioned above, because it is very well-written and approaches you calmly, not overloading you with too much jargon.

The new chapter on mobile java adds an extra dimension to your learning, as opposed to the lack of that in the second edition of this book.
on 28 May 2016
Unfortunately, you don't get answers within the book or on a website. Therefore, when you do all the self test questions. You will not be able to confirm your answers.

Other than that, this book is really good to learn Java.
on 10 January 2016
BEST book for learning Java or Starting programming. I have bought this book 3 times, one for me and 2 for friends who needed more than just the lectures to explore the concepts of programming language love it
on 14 January 2013
very good book, has helped me no end.I would recommend it to anyone studying java .Only up to chapter three but so far so good.
on 21 February 2013
Great Book with this book if your a beginner Java Programmer and want a break down of OOP this book will help
on 17 June 2010
This is the book that got me into programming and made me fall in love with Java. Before picking it up I was completely clueless as our uni Java lecturer was rather utterly rubbish. Once I started reading it I could not put it down and even though my uni material haf finished somewhere 1/3 of the book I continued reading it and self-teaching deep into August when I finished it. Every chapter is clear and concise with lots of practicals at the end of it which are very enjoyable. Now I'm teaching myself Groovy and C# but no book has as practical approach as this one. A total must read for Java/Programming beginners.
on 17 September 2014
it is pretty new, an elementary book for java beginners
on 27 January 2016
Excellent condition. Can't wait to read it all!