on 22 December 2008
Having assisted people into work for the last 20 years. I recommend this book to clients as it provides a straightforward no nonsense approach, it is easy to read and up to date. Everyone thinks they are an expert when it comes to CV's etc but it is good to find out what a real expert thinks and is using up to the minute approaches. It is useful if you have just lost your job through redundancy, a first jobber or for dealing with long term unemployment. Most books of this nature only seem to cater for the recent graduate this provides help for everyone. Many of my clients that I have recommended this book to have gone on to find sustainable employment and feel sufficintly skilled to tackle the job market.
on 7 July 2010
I've bought a fair number of careers advice books in my time, but this one is the best bar none. It takes you through a lot of very probing questions that help you to feel certain and clear about what you want. This change in attitude definitely helps with any job search. Confidence is key.

You have to read this book with a piece of paper next to you, writing down thoughts and ideas, as well as doing the exercises as you go along. It helps to crystalise important points, and makes it easier for you to prepare for your next interview or job application.

When you're done with the book, look back on your notes and formulate your personal statement, as well as any answers you could give interviewers with respect to skills, competencies, and examples of goals achieved.

This book has helped me sharpen my job searching strategy and has already helped me: I've been shortlisted for a job somewhat outside of my field of expertise. Here's wishing me luck!
on 8 March 2009
I had been working in the same industry for a number of years and was working for a very challenging employer when I purchased this book. I can honestly say that reading it and actioning some of the exercises has been a life changing experience.. I now work in a very positive environment doing a job I love. The salary might not be as much as I previously earned but I am happy. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 22 May 2002
Stands out from the myriad of ‘career change’ books on the market. John Lees tackles the issues differently by encouraging you to challenge your perceived limitations, discover your strengths and then offers practical advice on making it all happen. He takes you through the career planning process, forcing you to really think about who you are, what makes you tick and what you have to offer. There are plenty of exercises but they were fascinating and relevant enough for me not to skip over them.
I would recommend this book to anyone with that ‘not sure what to do next’ feeling. Contains similar concepts to ‘What Color Is Your Parachute’ but much more concise, easier to read and anglicized. Would be suitable for school leavers and job changers alike.
on 10 November 2001
I was looking for tools to make some career changes when I found this book at a bookshop at an Airport. How To Get A Job You'll Love offers really inspiring ways to seek out what it is that you want from your work and how to go about achieveing these goals. I also contacted the
author directly for one to one guidance, which I
was able to do online. His website is listed in the book. I found this really helpful.
I liked the blend of right brain exercises to create the ideal job and practical steps to follow up.
I am still working my way through a change of thinking around my career and would recommend this book as a good starting point.
on 6 February 2009
Can this book change your life? Yes, if you use it. Rather than starting with the job, it starts with you. You build up a picture of the things you love doing, naturally gravitate to, have a talent for, would do without being paid etc etc. It uses a lot of exercises which force you to think actively and analyse your situation for yourself... The endgame is showing you how to then define your dream job and actively hunt it down rather than just fruitless hunting through the recruitment pages or expecting a headhunter to do it for you.

A great tool and I wholeheartedly endorse it but be prepared to do the work yourself
on 9 February 2004
Better than most career change books I have read, but still leads off heavily on selling the process of making a change (if you aren't sure you want to make a change why did you buy the book?)
It then does all the usual career change stuff looking at personal values and trying to relate these to career change through some useful exercises (wheras in my opinion a lot are more applicable to job change, a subtle but important difference, than career change).
There is an all too small chapter about field change (i.e. changing career not just changing jobs) with some lack-lustre exercises and then a lack of help as to where to go next.
So in summary I'd say a far more helpful book for job rather than career changers, but for job changers the most practical one I've seen.
on 12 May 2002
How to Get A Job You'll Love is very well structured. So, whether you are looking for a fundamental career change, or are very happy with what you do but need a change of scenery and require advice with a job search strategy, you will find something in it to help.
It is quite easy to pick and choose the sections, which you need. Don't however be deceived by the apparent slimness of the book, to get the most out of it there are a number of taxing exercises which will require a considerable degree of effort. The results amply repay the effort.
For me the sections on my own motivation and the identification of skills were ideal and gave me just the sort of insights I needed. Anyone seriously looking to manage his or her own career should read this book. Whatever your personal requirements it has something for you.
on 28 February 2009
Good book if you're tired of the day job and longing to find a way to do what you love. Excellent for working out what you're good at, what you enjoy. Also good for rethinking the 'traditional' job search process.
on 7 May 2002
The title of this book says it all. It is also fun to read and easy to deal with in bite size chunks. I found this book much easier to read therefore more helpful than others I have tried. It won’t sort your life out but at least it tells you how to start and helps explain what the important decisions are. The exercises it contains are fun to do and for those of us who have had to face up to some life changing events be it redundancy, birth of a child or just enlightenment this book is definitely worth a go.