Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2011
This book looks OK at first glance but when you work with it you find it is a shambles. There is far too much waffle and too many really bad explanations.

The mathematics is far too little to cover the typical calculations associated with each topic. It pretends to be on the intermediate level but lacks the maths. The book is primarily graph and text based, with two little maths appendices. Also, many of the little examples of calculations are either irrelevant or inappropriate to the kind of calculations needed at this level.

We also listed over 5 A4 pages of errors in vital places; in formulas, in graphs, and in the text. Which makes reading the book a minefield. Eventually you realise you cannot believe a thing that is in the book. The heavy uncertainty makes it very difficult to learn anything from it. How can you learn anything you can't trust?

The list of errors was sent to the publisher two editions back, and it only changed about 10% of them, which is disgraceful. That told us that the publisher cannot be bothered. Also, new errors came with this edition!! That told us that either the authors are not themselves using the book any more, or they don't care about the errors either.

A teacher has to put in an enormous amount of work correcting the errors and above all to provide the real maths which corresponds to the topics but which is absent from the book.

The only thing that was really OK was the little stories now and then from real-life situations. However, although they were appropriately selected they weren't that many and the main purpose of the book, after all, is to explain microeconomics.

A big warning to anyone, student or teacher, thinking of using this book. It should not be on the market.
on 15 January 2012
So I am currently studying at university with Wyn Morgan as my lecturer. I was forced to buy this book as he stated that it was integral to our course.
He was right as there are things in this book which he doesn't teach us, yet appear in the exam. However they seem to defy general economics.

There are countless errors in this book! And even though it focuses heavily on application, I feel like it simultaneously neglects general economic theory. I would definitely stay away from it! The biggest waste of £40, especially for a student with a baby on the way. No doubt the worst book I have ever read and i am looking forward to guy fawkes night when we are in need of material to fuel our bonfire. Terrible book.
on 10 November 2012
Other reviewers have said as much. I wouldn't have bought this book unless I had to and I've found it full of problems and mistakes. Dreadful and expensive.
on 1 February 2012
I wouldn't even give a star to this book if I'm alllowed to. The only reason I read this book because he is our lecturer and some of his examination questions are extracted from this ill written book. To give a useful review, I would compare this to the well renowned microeconomic text by HR Varian which I read for my main text.

1.) Morgan's text was long and whiney, with virtually no mathematical proofs to the essential topics.
2.) As it was long and whiney, it's infested with so many errors and confusions - at some point, my tutor would disregard it and told us it would not likely to come out in examinations.

Thus, i would strongly recommend you to stay away from this book unless your lecturer is W. Morgan. The only reason I read his book because I wanted to, at very least, adhere to his teachings and to be able to answer his rather peculiar examination questions (which solely based on 2 pieces of essays). Otherwise, read Varian.
on 11 June 2015
Recommended text but I absolutely hated it. Look at Cowell or Gravelle and Rees, and then Mas-Colell, Whinston, and Green.
Everyone in business uses dollars for everything so why use Euros?
The examples use people's names and I can't tell whether they are supposed to be like
Kevin and Nigel share a bag of sweets, or
Roy's identity blah blah blah.
Because the names are weird European ones that could be Janet and John names or famous people - really stupid choices of names, in other words.
Why not just say K offers $x for . . . ?
To be fair, I hated this entry level micro hand waving stuff anyway, but I still much preferred other texts.
on 22 September 2015
Consider purchasing this book ONLY IF you're about to embark on the study of economics for the FIRST time. If you're looking for an intermediate text, go for Perloff (Microeconomics: Theory and Applications with Calculus).

Too verbose with almost no mathematics. Nice and intuitive graphs (good for beginners). Very easy to follow (this might lure students, who might then be tempted to say economics is actually easy).
on 3 November 2009
This textbook is really good for intermediate Microeconomics. It gives good examples and great intuition to microeconomic problems. It applies mircoeconomics to a lot of European real life problems. It would have been nice if the book had more worked examples.
on 28 November 2013
This book really helped me in my second year of Economics at university, brillaint price. Easy to understand once you have read the chapter, really helped develop my knowledge!
on 16 August 2014
Great purchase, quick delivery.
like advertised