5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all parents!!!
There are some great insights and ideas in this book that really made me think about how I discipline my children. The section on anger management made me examine whether my impact made the behaviour of my children better or worse. A real eye opener!

Published on 25 Sep 2007 by Karen Rayfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed that Pantley advocates time-out as punishment
I loved "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" but was disappointed to see that Pantley advocates time-out in this book. Although she does have a lot of good insights into the child's motivation, and emphasises the importance of understanding how a situation feels for the child, her approach is behaviourist throughout. As I see time-out as a humiliating punishment with a purely...
Published on 23 Mar 2009 by SynnÝve Solbakken

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all parents!!!, 25 Sep 2007
This review is from: The No-Cry Discipline Solution: Gentle ways to promote good behaviour and stop the whining, tantrums and tears (Paperback)

There are also some really good tips on how to prevent the public (and private) tantrums and scenes that every parent dreads escalating or even starting in the first place.

I now regularly use the A-Z solutions section at the back of the book for those momements when I need inspiration with my two boys!

Harmony at our house has now been restored!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for every parent!, 25 Aug 2009
D. Y. Goilo "Silly Mom" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This book is really a must have for every parent! Its written in clear understandable no nonsense language and has very concreet and gentle solutions for als kinds of problem behaviour!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledgeable, 20 Mar 2011
This book is amazing for attachment parenting who wish to discipline their child in a gentle way. Some of the tips i've taken from this book are working a dream and both my daughter and I are much happier and less frustrated :) Thankyou Elizabeth Pantley and all your test families :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - I now have the best behaved kids in the country..., 9 Sep 2009
This book completely altered the way I "disciplined" my kids. I often yelled at them for lack of a better method for discipline. I never worked. The kids would only cry, scream and fight even more, and I felt worse every time this happened.

The book helped me change that. It's often not easy combining three under fives, a full time job and a husband who is out of the country all week, every week. But my girls are amazing. They know the rules, they understand what consequences there are if they don't play by them. We all love the "restaurant rules". In stead of me saying: sit on your chair, use your knive and fork, don't shout, don't mess with your food, ... I just have to remind them to follow the restaurant rules, and they know what I mean. We have different sets of rules for shopping, playtime, eating out, ... and they know them all.

The most amazing proof of how well this book works is when complete strangers give me compliments on how well my girls are behaving. It makes me positively glow with pride.

Thanks for such an amazing book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully empowering book, 13 Jun 2012
First up, I couldn't disagree more with the person who left the 2 star review of this book; it kind of suggests that "time out" is the only solution Elizabeth Pantley is advocating in this book - and actually nothing could be further from the point!

"The No Cry Discipline Solution" is, in my opinion at least, a wonderful book, which empowers parents AND children at the same time. Sounds impossible? I thought so too when I first approached Pantley's work. But I used the No Cry Potty Training Solution for my son - the results were simply beyond my wildest hopes, he sailed thro the process with barely a backward glance - fantastic! So when things started to get a bit too fractious in the house due to my son getting a bad case of "Being 3" (!), I turned to Pantley again. Her suggestions (and all her books are just that, SUGGESTIONS, not "must do's") are gentle, but seriously effective. She makes many different suggestions, and its up to each individual parent to decide which ones will work best to suit theirs and their child's personality, lifestyle, belief systems etc. What I like most about Pantley's work is that its so very human - there are no wrong decisions, because we all get it wrong from time to time. The key, Pantley suggests, is to forgive yourself and your child, begin tomorrow as a new day and try a new approach until you find one that works. I have to say, by making even just a few minor adjustments as suggested by this book, I began noticing results VERY very quickly - better co-operation, fewer tantrums, and much more of the harmonious, loving relationship I want with my son. Just what I hoped for! Yes, there are some days when I just don't *feel* like using all my "No Cry" techniques .. but those days quickly become unbearable and I soon find MYSELF taking a time out to regroup, forgive, and try again! And it works. It just works. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Try it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, 25 July 2007
I am a counselor in private practice, as well as the mother of a toddler. This book has offered my husband and I very practical, and even fun ways of approaching discipline. Our 21 month old son enjoys picking up his toys and putting them away, and he even puts his dishes in the sink when he done without being asked. In addition, since reading the book and following the ideas, our son is much more pleasant to interact with. We as parents are much more pleasant as well! I refer to the book often at home, and I frequently recommend it to my clients who are struggling with parenting and discipline. I would highly recommend this book. It is a great resource for all parents.
Kim Rapach, LCSW
Counselor

4.0 out of 5 stars really useful tool, 25 Aug 2010
this book is a really useful tool in the challenge to bring up happy well balanced polite children, I haven't yet sat and read it cover to cover however I frequently refer to as a quick reference, such as looking up how to combat battles at meal times, the advise has helped and we have achieved with my toddler what I have been aiming for. I have also found the language helpful for example rather than sking my son to tidy up or to help me tidy up, I offer to help him for some reason phrasing it like this means he does it!!!! I would recommend this book if you are looking for ideas on how to influence your childs behaviour positivley and want to avoid the tearful battles and arguments which get you no where.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, guilt free approach to Discipline, 15 May 2007
We all want to get discipline "right" but too often feel guilty when it all goes wrong. In The No-Cry Discipline Solution, Elizabeth Pantley goes about removing this guilt and gives parents great tips on disciplining with less heartache and stress for the parent and child. Pantley's books are known for their gentle and child-centered approach, and this one is no different. She shows that understanding children for what they are and having realistic expectations is vital.

I am not sure that I have read another book on discipline where anger in the parent is discussed so openly and honestly. It is something that we would all pretend does not happen, but Pantley brings it out in the open and helps parents deal with this little-talked-about topic.

This book is a valuable tool--easy to read and filled with wonderful, practical examples of dealing with common everyday problems.

--Sally Cameron-Zurich

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, 12 Sep 2008
After getting pregnant with my second child, I discovered that my 2 year old daughter was being very difficult to manage. I was dispread for a book that would help me in convincing her to do the simple things like brushing her teeth, coming out of the bathtub and using the potty. I never thought that such thing existed! Only after reading few pages, my whole relationship with my daughter started to change. Now Aya and I laugh more and talk more just like friends. Elizabeth approaches raising children in a very unique way because she believes that we can get through problems by gentle and positive ways. I have all her books and looking forward for her new release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this!!, 12 Jan 2014
Excellent book full of brilliant advice and tips! An excellent nurturing approach to raising your child.

If the thought of punishing your child upsets you and just "doesn't feel right" these series of books are for you. My fiancée and I absolutely hated the idea of punishment, shouting, fear or spanking and were dead against it. We never ever would use these methods but needed guidance on alternatives.

This book is made for us and our style of parenting! We both love it and our son responds so well to the techniques. This book should be given to every parent! Brilliant, brilliant book.