5.0 out of 5 stars As a uni student this book is my java bible

Published on 17 Dec 2006 by Maxelon

5.0 out of 5 stars As a uni student this book is my java bible, 9 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
I got this book during my first week at university. I found it so easy to read and get into I just went mad and read pretty much the whole damn thing in a week. As a result my year one tutors are having to ask me what such and such in my program does as my work (all thanks to this book) is covering things that my course doesnt even cover until half way through semester one of year two!(when hopefuly i'll have more savvy tutors) .Buy this book if you want to learn Java.
Also I know a lot of "beginers" get bogged down in books that are all code with programs that are little more than "Hello World" being printed to a command prompt. This book will have you drawing basic graphics to windows in no time and with progress you will be importing and animating real graphics. Top stuff 5/5.
Computing Students... this is a MUST!

5.0 out of 5 stars University Student : Must Buy, 6 Jan 2004
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
This book is a sound investment for beginners in java. I would recommend it for any java courses. It has step by step guides followed by tutorial questions and practicals. Excellent way to teach yourself. It's cheaper, clear and concise than other expensive java books ive purchased. Students cheer save money on your beer!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A very mixed bag, 17 Dec 2006
Maxelon (Romford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
I have not programmed for more years than I care to remember and for various reasons wanted to get into Java. I bought this book thinking it would give a stronger theoretical understanding than many of the other books around. I like to understand why I am doing things, but that is not a strenght of this book. It spends a long time explaining very basic stuff (fair enough on an introductory book, and easy to skim over), but then in later sections skims over things with barely a mention as to what is going on.

Bottom lin is this is just another 'cookbook' type of tutorial: Here is an example, repeat it and it will work for you. No real explanations. Sections on Swing very poor indeed. Given that Swing is supposed to support multi-platform it would also be nice if they worked properly on OS-X. Still, figuring out the problems was a good way to learn things.

I can't recommend this book, but I can now programme in Java (more-or-less), so I probably should not slate it too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Java book for beginners!, 10 Nov 2002
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
This book is by far the best book for learning Java from scratch I have ever come across. I had very little programming experience before picking up this book but after going through this I now have strong fundamental skills in Java and a good knowledge of more advanced topics. The book assumes absolutely no programming knowledge and explains what could be extremely difficult topics in a simple, friendly way. There is no other book on the market that would give you such a good basic grounding in Java than this. Buy it now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated for beginners, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
I am a Java beginner and this book is way too complicated for me to understand stuff about Java. But luckily I bought also Java for Everyone and Java for Everyone is far a better choice since this is for beginners and every step in coding is explained step by step and it has got plenty of exercises and most have got also answers based on that if you're a beginner you better buy Java for Everyone than Java in Two Semesters.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of best programming books I've read, 14 May 2011
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
As a programmer I've read hundreds of programming books, but this one was one of the bests. It's for beginners and for advanced programmers who want to learn Java. The books goes through everything step by step and includes a lot of code examples, so the reader can actually understands what it's talking about. I don't think there is a person who wouldn't understand this book even if you haven't done programming before.

4.0 out of 5 stars JAVA :), 6 Jun 2010
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
great help this book its got me through 2 years of uni and i was told to buy it by my lecturer as it has everything that we will be doing in it. It even comes with the jcreater CD which i needed to do my course aswell greatt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Java, 8 May 2009
Adam Gnourie (UK Macclesfield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Java in Two Semesters (Paperback)
Brilliant book for begginers and more advance programmers, covers pretty much everything you would ever need. Very helpful.

Java in Two Semesters
Java in Two Semesters by Aaron Kans (Paperback - 1 Jan 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01