5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary for my course
This is one of the books on our reading list at uni. I had no idea how to look at images "properly" I either liked them, disliked them or had no preference. Now I have something to say about every image and can express an informed opinion. I can describe, interpret and evaluate which is exactly what I need to be able to do.
Published 14 months ago by Jan Toner

3.0 out of 5 stars A standard textbook without much flair
Published 12 months ago by PhotoEcosse

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary for my course, 19 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Criticizing Photographs (Paperback)
I am finding this book invaluable in my photography studies. I have always found it hard to find the right words and method to analyse and criticize both paintings and photographs. This book has been a real help to me in choosing what to look for and how to describe what I feel. Would highly recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars A standard textbook without much flair, 4 Dec 2013
PhotoEcosse (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criticizing Photographs (Paperback)
I was a bit disappointed by this book. I bought it because it was recommended by a college lecturer but, to be perfectly honest, it failed to provide much in the way of fresh perspectives. Competently enough written and the author clearly knows a little about his subject but it did not provide the inspiration I was looking for in terms of enhancing my critical approach to photography.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tool to learn viewing, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Criticizing Photographs (Paperback)
Very good methodological manual to look at photographs. In some cases a bit "mechanistic" and linear, but providing very good food for thought on the viewer's perspective on photographs.
I use it to develop my own way of looking at photographs, taking advantage of a refined methodological approach. It requires a practical translation into one's own vision and perception.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Criticizing Photographs (Paperback)
A great book and a must for anyone studying photography at city & guilds or higher qualification. I have found it invaluable.

Criticizing Photographs
Criticizing Photographs by Terry Barrett (Paperback - 1 May 2011)