1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the cover, 29 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Oracle Database 10g: A Beginner's Guide (Oracle Press) (Paperback)
This must be the most disappointing book that I have read for ages. I come from a very strong Microsoft SQL Server DBA background ( although not my main job ). I have just changed job and my new company has an Oracle based application. I bought this book hoping that it would give me an introduction to Oracle. This book is certainly not a beginners guide. After reading the whole book ( trying to stay awake ) I don't know anymore about Oracle than when I started. There is no section on installing Oracle or anything else come to that. This was a complete waste of money for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 6 Jan 2007
Whilst this is a slight improvement on the 9i version of the book this is still very poor. It tries to give an overview of the basic concepts, fair enough, but the style is very patronising and annoying, it is badly structured and worst of all, some of it is plain wrong. There are SQL examples which obviously haven't been checked, I could see they wouldn't work just by looking at them and when trying them realised I was correct. Some of the text also gives false information.

Not worth the money; the authors and the publisher should be ashamed of themselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read the other two reviews of this book before making the purchase, 5 May 2010
M. Tompsett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to agree with the other two reviewers.
I found myself getting increasingly irritated by a number of aspects even before I finished the first chapter. For example, one seemingly minor thing that kept irritating me was the repeated reference to "Oracle Database 10g" instead of simply "Oracle", as if the point being made as specific to that particular version?
Very disappointing.

Oracle Database 10g: A Beginner's Guide (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g: A Beginner's Guide (Oracle Press) by Michael J Corey (Paperback - 1 April 2004)